Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:05 pm

.com has become very aggressive at showing routes to the islands that include HA segments, and these are often cheaper than all UA metal. Once upon a time it only did this for mileage tickets, but I see it for revenue as well. I have to set a filter just to stop seeing the dozens of options with HA. If booked as a single ticket, bags would get checked all the way… right??
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wx4caster
.com has become very aggressive at showing routes to the islands that include HA segments, and these are often cheaper than all UA metal. Once upon a time it only did this for mileage tickets, but I see it for revenue as well. I have to set a filter just to stop seeing the dozens of options with HA. If booked as a single ticket, bags would get checked all the way… right??
Yes. However, on your return flight, any baggage waivers you get from status or having a credit card wouldn't apply (assuming you're checking in with HA, I mean, as opposed to an itinerary that's UA-HA on the way out and UA-only on the return).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Do not rely on that advice. It is not the policy to check through on non-*A flights and the agent at LAX is under no obligation to - and probably won't. The TSA security lines at OGG have been horrendous at times this year.
Thanks for your advice. I thought that I cannot trust the call center agents... If arriving in OGG with the first flight from LAX which HA flight to HNL would you take? 3 pm?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Thanks for your advice. I thought that I cannot trust the call center agents... If arriving in OGG with the first flight from LAX which HA flight to HNL would you take? 3 pm?
Bag return is not quick in OGG. Count on 45 minutes after arrival to claim bag from UA and scoot over to HA check-in. Add 30 minutes to be safe for security if you have TSA Pre, 1 hour if you don’t. HA boards interisland flights 25 minutes before departure. Add whatever you feel comfortable with to account for a potential late UA arrival. Security lines are worst midday. HA does allow a same-day change if seats available (charge was I think $50, not sure what the deal is currently). There is that out if the UA flight is late. HA has pretty frequent OGG- HNL flights and presence of WN has reduced the # of full HA flights.
flymexico2010 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
WN cancels a lot of the interisland flights since they don’t have a dedicated interisland fleet and don’t have spares unlike Hawaiian.
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I interisland KOA/HNL quite regularly. I've never experienced this with Southwest. Care to back-up this assertion with something called a "fact"? It smells a lot like an unfair disparagement.
Southwest Air meltdown extends to HNL with dozens of flights delayed, canceled for another day (hawaiinewsnow.com)

At Honolulu’s airport Tuesday, there were 34 cancelations and 100 delays.

Of those, 22 cancelations were on Southwest and the airline reported 42 delays.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, ITA
Question about checking in with status on a non *A operating carrier

Hi all,

I am flying from Maui to Houston via HNL and the OGG-HNL leg is operated by Hawaiian Airlines. I have Gold status on UA and will be checking luggage, so I'd like my status to be recognized so I don't get charged for the bags and get priority tags. Will Hawaiian Airlines honor my status and give me the free bags with priority tags or do I need to check in with UA at the airport? I thought conventional wisdom always says to check in with the operating carrier....
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by waveloch
... I am flying from Maui to Houston via HNL and the OGG-HNL leg is operated by Hawaiian Airlines. I have Gold status on UA and will be checking luggage, so I'd like my status to be recognized so I don't get charged for the bags and get priority tags. Will Hawaiian Airlines honor my status and give me the free bags with priority tags or do I need to check in with UA at the airport? ...
No, No ... unless HA elite or HA F ticket, you will pay HA's bag fees and UA will not cover or reimburse you.

..I thought conventional wisdom always says to check in with the operating carrier....
Yes, more than wisdom, you must
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, ITA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, No ... unless HA elite or HA F ticket, you will pay HA's bag fees and UA will not cover or reimburse you.

Yes, mire than wisdom, you must
Thanks for the quick response. Oof, that is a bummer though... any suggestions on ways to get around at least paying for bags? Maybe go to the UA check in counter and ask nicely to see if they can tag the bags for us?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Will Hawaiian Airlines honor my status and give me the free bags with priority tags or do I need to check in with UA at the airport? I thought conventional wisdom always says to check in with the operating carrier....
United's rules for Premier bag charge waivers state check in must be at United check-in counters. You have to check in with Hawaiian for your flight, not United. Hawaiian does not recognize United status. United can do nothing for you. They cannot tag the bag for an originating Hawaiian flight. If you pay Hawaiian to move up to F on your flight to HNL, you'll get 2 free bags and lounge access.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks for the quick response. Oof, that is a bummer though... any suggestions on ways to get around at least paying for bags? ...
Buy up to HA F.

Maybe go to the UA check in counter and ask nicely to see if they can tag the bags for us?
No, you don't have a ticket with UA from OGG.. UA will not take the bags.

This has been true for a long time and it is what it is.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Oof, that is a bummer though... any suggestions on ways to get around at least paying for bags? Maybe go to the UA check in counter and ask nicely to see if they can tag the bags for us?

??? No. There is no super secret way to bypass HA and get free bags. BUT, if they are offering Day of departure upgrade for $50, you could save yourself a few bucks and sit up front. Unless they changed, there is also a small discount if you are a member of Hawaiian miles.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Well one more option and this is what I do on occasion. Cancel HA, book Southwest (no fee), and transfer bags yourself at HNL to UA. I suspect Southwest fare is as cheap if not cheaper than HA. The hassle is you do the transfer at HNL, no interlining with Southwest.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You can also fly UA from OGG, which is usually my choice.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Well one more option and this is what I do on occasion. Cancel HA, book Southwest (no fee), and transfer bags yourself at HNL to UA. I suspect Southwest fare is as cheap if not cheaper than HA. The hassle is you do the transfer at HNL, no interlining with Southwest.
HA and WN fares purchased month(s) in advance have been pretty much the same. The difference occur when HA's (generally) 717s start getting fuller closer to flight date, at which, at certain times of day, WN may be cheaper. WN drawbacks - less frequent service in case of IRROP and no interlining. WN plusses - same terminal complex as UA, free bags. Both WN and HA seem understaffed at peak travel times in check-in lobbies. That's definitely one plus for flying UA directly out of Hawaii airports - better staffing. And recognition of Premier status.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 4, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Well one more option and this is what I do on occasion. Cancel HA, book Southwest (no fee), and transfer bags yourself at HNL to UA.... .
Cancelling HA, if on a ticket with UA, will lead to a repricing of the UA ticket, that may be more costly then paying HA bag fees.
bluedemon211 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.