Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the rules for non-rev upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
The rev pax always come first. I'm bit sure of the exact details CS does to move people around but rev pax will always get on first. Again, it's a dishonest world. If you've seen NRSA (and are 100% sure) that NRSAs are on and rev pax didn't make it, obviously something went wrong.

And what's a tootsie pop victim? Lol.
Sadly, in the example I mentioned, I can confirm that they were all non-revs and as to the Tootise-Pop® victims' list.....

I have been giving out Tootsie-Pops®* to UA employees (ground and flight [and both cabin and flight deck]) for over 10 years as a silly way to make them smile and help make up for things like "the one pax that they get at 6am", "frustrations" with mgmnt and etc and hence I call it a victims' list-with "victim" in this case being a good thing

*and F/t'ers as well
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by goalie
Sadly, in the example I mentioned, I can confirm that they were all non-revs and as to the Tootise-Pop® victims' list.....

I have been giving out Tootsie-Pops®* to UA employees (ground and flight [and both cabin and flight deck]) for over 10 years as a silly way to make them smile and help make up for things like "the one pax that they get at 6am", "frustrations" with mgmnt and etc and hence I call it a victims' list-with "victim" in this case being a good thing

*and F/t'ers as well
how can you confirm? did you ask to see their badges?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CALMSP
how can you confirm? did you ask to see their badges?
Because I was standing right there at the podium not more than 3 feet away when it happened and I didn't have to ask to see their badges as all the non-revs were wearing them around their necks. They then showed them to the g/a who then picked up 6 f/c bp's which were sitting face up on the podium (saw those too ) and handed them to the non-revs with the information side not visible as she placed them against the chest of each one, winked and said "enjoy" (and about 5 minutes later, the g/a made the announcement that they were looking for 6 volunteers)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
did you or whoever inquire as to why your upgrade wasn't processed?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
The rev pax always come first. I'm bit sure of the exact details CS does to move people around but rev pax will always get on first. Again, it's a dishonest world. If you've seen NRSA (and are 100% sure) that NRSAs are on and rev pax didn't make it, obviously something went wrong.

It's always worth remembering that not all non-revs are NRSA, though. When I contracted for another airline (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), I was NRPS in J.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because I was standing right there at the podium not more than 3 feet away when it happened and I didn't have to ask to see their badges as all the non-revs were wearing them around their necks. They then showed them to the g/a who then picked up 6 f/c bp's which were sitting face up on the podium (saw those too ) and handed them to the non-revs with the information side not visible as she placed them against the chest of each one, winked and said "enjoy" (and about 5 minutes later, the g/a made the announcement that they were looking for 6 volunteers)
Hopefully you reported it to UA, with names, dates and the specifics above. I would love to see that behavior stopped, and I say that as an employee.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by deirdre

It's always worth remembering that not all non-revs are NRSA, though. When I contracted for another airline (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), I was NRPS in J.
That's correct. I just didn't put that in my post. I'm curious if the 6 non revs were NRPS?

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Hopefully you reported it to UA, with names, dates and the specifics above. I would love to see that behavior stopped, and I say that as an employee.
+1.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Most Non-Rev Space Available do not wear their badges when traveling. Many deadheading (Non-Rev Positive Space) pilots and flight attendants do as the traveling on company business. The cabin that NRPS can book into is governed by whether its a 2 or 3 cabin aircraft.

I've noticed that the UG list displayed on the GID is not always in the same order as I see in SHARES which governs the actual UG order.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:32 pm

did you or whoever inquire as to why your upgrade wasn't processed?
I was already upgraded

Originally Posted by deirdre
I need to clarify that the 6 what I refer to as non-revs were 4 adults with badges and 2 under 18 year olds and perhaps the children of some of the 4 and I don't think they would be flying positive space, right?

Originally Posted by planemechanic
I appreciate your honesty ^ but the way I see it is that this is (imho) a what goes around, comes around situation and someone will complain but where it didn't affect me personally (i.e. I did not get an upgrade), I let things like this go. Yeah, I know, it will continue to happen if folks don't speak up but the way I see it is that if an employee is "doing something wrong/against policy" it will eventually come back to bite them in the tuchas (hope that made sense)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
I need to clarify that the 6 what I refer to as non-revs were 4 adults with badges and 2 under 18 year olds and perhaps the children of some of the 4 and I don't think they would be flying positive space, right?
Probably not. Your specific report sounds like something hinky happened.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:15 pm

I was already upgraded

I appreciate your honesty ^ but the way I see it is that this is (imho) a what goes around, comes around situation and someone will complain but where it didn't affect me personally (i.e. I did not get an upgrade), I let things like this go. Yeah, I know, it will continue to happen if folks don't speak up but the way I see it is that if an employee is "doing something wrong/against policy" it will eventually come back to bite them in the tuchas (hope that made sense)
just find it odd, that you seem to have been hanging out at the counter waiting to see if employees got up front??
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:04 am

I was already upgraded

just find it odd, that you seem to have been hanging out at the counter waiting to see if employees got up front??
Hanging out at the podium, yes but not to see if employees are playing games but rather....

Gotta give out the TootsiePops* and my research showed me that the flight was oversold so I was looking into a VDB

*and there are many folks out here who can attest to me schmoozing and/or working the room/podium
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:21 pm

Guys, first post here on FT, but I've been following for a while.

Just wanted to clear something up about non-rev travel. My friend's mom works for United and we're planning on flying on a buddy pass to Lima next week. I originally wanted to go on a trip for 3 weeks but he can only go for 10 days. I suggested splitting up at that point, but he says that's not possible with the buddy pass.

My question: is there any way to fly without an employee on a companion pass? If we're both NRSA customers (I think that's what we'd be flying as, correct me if I'm wrong), what restrictions would there be on my travel? I've searched around the forums for about 30 minutes and haven't seen any posts discussing requirements for an employee or employee-listed family member to travel with a 'friend'. Maybe there are new restrictions post-merger, or maybe I'm just unaware of the basic rules.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:10 am

I'm not sure of the policy after March 3rd, but before that, a buddy pass rider on an international CO flight had to be accompanied by the employee or someone on yhe employee's travel profile. Maybe this policy is in place post-PSS?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by ryanyde
Guys, first post here on FT, but I've been following for a while.

Just wanted to clear something up about non-rev travel. My friend's mom works for United and we're planning on flying on a buddy pass to Lima next week. I originally wanted to go on a trip for 3 weeks but he can only go for 10 days. I suggested splitting up at that point, but he says that's not possible with the buddy pass.

My question: is there any way to fly without an employee on a companion pass? If we're both NRSA customers (I think that's what we'd be flying as, correct me if I'm wrong), what restrictions would there be on my travel? I've searched around the forums for about 30 minutes and haven't seen any posts discussing requirements for an employee or employee-listed family member to travel with a 'friend'. Maybe there are new restrictions post-merger, or maybe I'm just unaware of the basic rules.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
You need to talk to your friends mom, not ask on a forum full of frequent flyers. No offense to all of the elites in the world, but the details of our travel privileges aren't any of their business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.