Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving a bag at EWR (not claiming it)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Leaving a bag at EWR (not claiming it)

Here is my situation

I am flying PDX-SEA-EWR(stop)->TLV

When i arrive in EWR on Friday AM can i just leave my bags on the belt (not claim them), and then claim them when i return on Sunday for my ongoing flight?

If not, is there a left luggage facility in the CO/UA baggage claim area?

I will actually be continuing to PHL (via Amtrak) but won't need both of my bags.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by bosbjg
When i arrive in EWR on Friday AM can i just leave my bags on the belt (not claim them), and then claim them when i return on Sunday for my ongoing flight?
This sounds like a really terrible idea. Why would you ever do that? Maybe they'll put it somewhere. Or maybe it'll get properly lost and then you have no ground to stand on if you weren't there to file a claim. Are you in that big of a rush?
Google is your friend for things like this. I found:
http://www.panynj.gov/faqs/airports....irportsEWRQu06
Perhaps you'll want to call to verify this. This is clearly your best strategy. There may also be storage at the Amtrak station, although I know for the one in DC at least, it's probably cheaper just to buy all new contents, as it's incredibly expensive. You can park a car in Manhattan for cheaper.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is definitely no storage at the Amtrak facility. It isn't a real station. I'm pretty sure the left luggage facility still exists and that's what I'd use. Just leaving the bag on the belt and hoping that you can retrieve it in a timely manner from the baggage services folks is a crazy risk IMO.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
wouldn't abandoned/unclaimed luggage be deemed a security risk?

I've often been at airports - granted, not at the baggage claim - where terminals have been evacuated/cordoned off because an unclaimed item of luggage was reported.

I would imagine you run the risk of having your luggage taken away/destroyed.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I found this on tripadvisor (but it's from 2006, so who knows if the info is still current):

I was trying to find luggage storage at Newark last month and didn't have any luck with my airline or the airport.

There is a solution!!!

The company is called NBS Storage and Delivery and they have a desk at Carousel #1 Arrivals level, at Newark International Airport. They don't have a web site, so if you need additional information, call them at (908) 933-0503. They open at 7am and close at 1am.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I found this on tripadvisor (but it's from 2006, so who knows if the info is still current):
The same company (including a phone number) is referenced in the NYC "where to leave your bags" thread in that forum. Last time I called them they were still in business, but it was at least 2 years ago.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by irishguy28
wouldn't abandoned/unclaimed luggage be deemed a security risk?

I've often been at airports - granted, not at the baggage claim - where terminals have been evacuated/cordoned off because an unclaimed item of luggage was reported.

I would imagine you run the risk of having your luggage taken away/destroyed.
Not if it's left on the carousel! I can't tell you how many times I've had my checked bag go on without me only for me to be reunited with it a day or two afterwards. Happens all the time.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Here is my situation

I am flying PDX-SEA-EWR(stop)->TLV

I will actually be continuing to PHL (via Amtrak) but won't need both of my bags.
I had a similar situation a while back at IAH. Had to pick up folks early one morning and knew that all their luggage will not fit in my car. But I was flying out that evening. So left a couple of luggage they would not for a week on the belt and left with the rest of the luggage. Went back to the airport later that day, went to the baggage claim office in the back, claimed the luggage, put them in my car and flew out.

It worked for me as it was for few hours and not a couple of days.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:09 am

Several years ago, I would fly into EWR on CO a couple times a month. The routine was I'd go straight from my flight to the club, spend a few hours there, then go downstairs to retrieve my bag from the baggage peeps. There was a big luggage storage room next to baggage claim in Terminal C, further down from the office where they handle lost baggage claims. I'd show them my baggage claim tag and point to my bag to identify it among the many stacked up in rows, and they'd check the tag and hand it over, no questions asked. Did this regularly. Never left it more than ~4 hours or so, and haven't done it in quite some time now, but it was never an issue at the time.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Plat; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The same company (including a phone number) is referenced in the NYC "where to leave your bags" thread in that forum. Last time I called them they were still in business, but it was at least 2 years ago.
I used NBS Storage over by Carousel #1 this past December. It was quick and simple and not too expensive (around$15 or $20 for 24 hours)
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They are quite good at picking up the bags at Newark, not sure what they do with them, but pretty quickly after a flight they stack all the bags onto a dolly and off they go.

I would not consider that luggage storage though.

I would call Newark Baggage Service and make sure they are still in business and will be open the day and time you will be there (908) 933-0503 and use them.

There are also "luggage shoppers" hanging around from time to time, I would not trust the airline people get to the bags before the shoppers do.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:53 am

I wouldn't be one bit concerned about leaving my valuables unattended anywhere in New Jersey! ^

Newark is one of the safest towns you'll ever wanna visit so put your mind at ease as I certainly wouldn't be worried if I'd ever see my luggage again if I didn't retrieve it promptly, especially at EWR!!!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by SigmaFlyer
I used NBS Storage over by Carousel #1 this past December. It was quick and simple and not too expensive (around$15 or $20 for 24 hours)
+1. When my bag was late arriving from AUS mid-March, it was NBS that delivered it. They were reasonably efficient (they had an online tracking system & frequent e-mail updates, including a picture of the person delivering my bag). I can verify they're still very much in business.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Not suggesting this is the right thing to do:

But I did this once at LHR. I was flying JFK-FRA-LHR on LH, and the JFK-FRA was very very late, I was rebooked on a later FRA-LHR flight which I barely made. So I wasn't even sure if my box made it; the contents weren't that important; and I was very late for my appointment.

I called the luggage claim department that day - they said I had to make a claim in person at LHR. So on my return flight I found my way to the baggage department - and my box was still there - they said they were about to send it back to JFK.

But remember - this was an international flight to LHR, so the luggage carousels/belts are in a secure area. I wouldn't do this for domestic baggage claim in the US.

Last edited by c1mth0g; Apr 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.