Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mixed messages about upgrade waitlist (>24hr)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hello everyone,

I have the following flights coming up, and I'm using miles+copay to upgrade:

JFK-SFO (W)
SFO-KOA (R)
LIH-LAX (R)
LAX-JFK (S)

As you can see, the mainland to Hawaii upgrades already cleared. When I call United to check on the JFK-SFO and LAX-JFK, they say that I am on the upgrade waitlist for both legs. However, my itinerary also has a fifth leg, a copy of LAX-JFK, but this time in (R) and including the text "This flight segment is waitlisted." I'm a bit confused... does this mean that the upgrade is only waitlisted on the LAX-JFK leg and not the JFK-SFO leg? Is there any other way to verify whether I am upgraded?

Thank you!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
PS (LAX & SFO - JFK) have always displayed inconsistently.

If you can select a seat in C cabin, then your UG has cleared & been accepted by the system. And I suggest you take a screenshot, or print as PDF and keep record that you have been upgraded with seat assigned. While it hasn't happened to me personally, too many reports of UG being kicked back into Y in the middle of the night for my own comfort.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the quick reply!

It's obvious on the website that the update hasn't cleared, but it's not obvious whether it is actually waitlisted. I can't select C seats on the p.s. legs. I have an emailed receipt with the two cleared legs listed in R class (with others in W and S) along with the seat assignments, so I think I have the CYA portion taken care of.

Thanks again - anyone else have some insight on checking whether a particular leg is waitlisted?

Edit: the last bit of conflicting information is that the "Upgrade reservation" link still allows me to select the first leg for a waitlist upgrade, while the last leg does not have this option anymore.

"Hang up and call again" has been the most useful advice that I have seen on this board. On my most recent call (my third or fourth about this issue), the phone agent was finally able to waitlist me on the last remaining leg, and she was most importantly able to force the waitlist to hold. Apparently it took a couple of tries while I was on hold.

Issue resolved!

So, I have now learned that the answer to my original question was:

If the waitlist upgrade does not appear as a separate segment (from the original, lower class seat), then you're not on the waitlist.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reason: merge
Old May 14, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Waitlist Question

I'm flying RT with family DCA-IAH-EZE. I used miles and $$ to upgrade the outbound trip. The upgrade cleared for IAH-EZE, but DCA-IAH is waitlisted (although first class is almost completely empty at this point). Seems to me I already "bought" the upgrade seats since UA took my money and miles. Can UA really "sell" the first class seats to someone else now?
Old May 14, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by donnmein
I'm flying RT with family DCA-IAH-EZE. I used miles and $$ to upgrade the outbound trip. The upgrade cleared for IAH-EZE, but DCA-IAH is waitlisted (although first class is almost completely empty at this point). Seems to me I already "bought" the upgrade seats since UA took my money and miles. Can UA really "sell" the first class seats to someone else now?
Sure. You're waitlisting for an upgrade seat, which is a subset of first class. UA controls if, when, and how many are released.

It's a bit of a game. If you wanted a guaranteed F seat, you could always have paid for it.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:02 am

Thanks. It seems I already have paid for F; in cold hard cash plus lots of hard earned miles, which I'm not going to get back because another part of the trip was upgraded. It's not like the seats are not available, either.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Thanks. It seems I already have paid for F; in cold hard cash plus lots of hard earned miles, which I'm not going to get back because another part of the trip was upgraded. It's not like the seats are not available, either.
You paid for an upgrade to F (from an economy ticket), not for the F seat itself (by purchasing a first class ticket). If there is no upgrade inventory available, then you'll have to wait to see if they'll release upgrade inventory to clear you off the waitlist. As channa wrote, it's part of the game if you want to upgrade vs. buying a first class ticket outright.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
You're using your miles and co-pay to enter a lottery. In fact, most agents have asked me if i want to back out of the upgrade when it happened that the lame RJ segment of a domestic upgraded while i was still waitlisted with miles for the hub-to-hub segment. They know that it pi$$es most people off when the big plane segment doesn't clear.

This was the case on the old United; it's nothing new. For example, going back 3 years, I used to get upgraded on the lame RJ CVG-ORD but not on the continuing ORD-SFO segment on the big plane. UA would take my full co-pay and miles as if I had been upgraded CVG-SFO. I would get charged the same co-pay and amount of miles when both segments cleared. It's different for international itins though; if your domestic segment clears but the intl doesn't then they return the co-pay and miles to you.

Keep in mind that just because F or C cabin seats are empty, it doesn't mean that UA will make them available for awards and upgrades. I've seen them held until a couple of hours before the flight, sometimes even closer in. The last time I flew ORD-LHR all 5 seats in F cabin (one is kept for the crew rest on 67I) were empty, website was showing F5, A5 and I didn't get upgraded until 5 minutes before they started boarding. I guess they were really hoping that someone would buy them.
Old May 24, 2012, 6:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if I get first dibs on the "upgrade" inventory in F--ahead of all others who don't buy F outright. Can UAL sell upgrades to others (e.g., those getting an offer to upgrade at check-in) and bump my upgrades? That would definitely seem unfair.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
Can UAL sell upgrades to others (e.g., those getting an offer to upgrade at check-in) and bump my upgrades? That would definitely seem unfair.
Many here share your concern.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I was waitlisted prior to 24 hours for international miles upgrade. I received an automated call stating my upgrade had not cleared. I don't see myself on the waitlist on mobile app but they took my points. Do I still have a chance? It appears as if i'm checked in but not so sure as it wants me to show my passport at check in. R now = 6. it was R=0 before OLCI
Old May 24, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CDKing
I was waitlisted prior to 24 hours for international miles upgrade. I received an automated call stating my upgrade had not cleared. I don't see myself on the waitlist on mobile app but they took my points. Do I still have a chance? It appears as if i'm checked in but not so sure as it wants me to show my passport at check in. R now = 6. it was R=0 before OLCI
CALL NOW CALL NOW CALL NOW to force the upgrade!

It's of course just a "glitch" and not a nice anti-consumer feature of SHARES
Old May 24, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by CDKing
If it's saying you have to show your passport at checkin you're NOT checked in. That will probably make it easier for the phone agent to force your upgrade through or back it out and apply it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.