Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Long Haul Route Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
New UA Long Haul Route Changes

IAD-ACC service ends July 1. EWR-CPH ends Sept 23
Suspended service for the winter season for some trans-Atlantic markets, such as EWR-FCO and IAD-DME.

And, as known internally, redeploy some of the Boeing 763s freed up by these changes to replace Boeing 757s now on certain trans-Atlantic routes such as EWR-FRA, IAD-AMS and one EWR-LHR aircraft. Well, one is better than the two I was expecting.

More changes still to come, but haven't been published.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
IAD-LHR is getting a 757.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:25 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-2-8-a-4.html
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Silver
So they want to expand international capacity, but they will be cutting several long haul routes? They must be replaced with more international, short haul routes. Hello IAH-Latin America.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
They are ending the CPH service?

What a terrible move
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I just KNEW they would end the ACC route when I bought that multi-entry Ghana visa!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:41 pm

Week #5.
And we continue down the list of changes we're gonna like.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Strange about ACC. From the few times I've strolled past the ACC boarding gate at IAD, it certainly appeared to be going out quite full. I guess the yields were low?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I suppose not enough business travel to ACC. But what about CPH - is this just a seasonal suspension that they will pick up next spring or is it gone for good? So I suppose there will only be the SAS codeshare to CPH afterwards?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I suppose not enough business travel to ACC. But what about CPH - is this just a seasonal suspension that they will pick up next spring or is it gone for good? So I suppose there will only be the SAS codeshare to CPH afterwards?
I saw when they were initially advertising the IAD-ACC. Struck me as a tough route to fill and I guess that turns out to be the case which is too bad
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I just KNEW they would end the ACC route when I bought that multi-entry Ghana visa!
You make visa decisions based on an airline?

United is not the only airlines that flies to ACC. Nor are they the only *A airline going there. Your multi-entry visa is still good.

-RM
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Time traveller
When I am on this flight, I more often find the back of the flying bus to/from CPH on CO/UA has a relatively high proportion of the seats empty than most all of my other long-haul flights while the front cabin is far more often full or near full.

Often CO elites -- at times other than summer and other peak holiday periods -- have been able to get a whole row of seats in one or both directions if flying in coach.

I suspect that AC will eventually cut back its service to CPH too.

Using miles for travel on SK long-haul flights between the US and CPH is far more difficult.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When I am on this flight, I more often find the back of the flying bus to/from CPH on CO/UA has a relatively high proportion of the seats empty than most all of my other long-haul flights while the front cabin is far more often full or near full.

Often CO elites -- at times other than summer and other peak holiday periods -- have been able to get a whole row of seats in one or both directions if flying in coach.
Yes but is that front cabin full of full-fare passengers or upgrades? If it's more upgrades than full fare than that is why the route is losing money.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Yes but is that front cabin full of full-fare passengers or upgrades? If it's more upgrades than full fare than that is why the route is losing money.
More paid business class than upgrades on my flights.

Apparently some routes need way more economy class passenger demand to survive while other routes need way more business class passenger demand in order to survive.

SK doesn't seem to have the problem CO/UA have on this route and they are all part of the same airline alliance.

I find the explanation for the route losing money because of upgrades to be interesting as it is but a part of blaming customers for the airline's inability to make a route work. Is blaming the customer the norm at UA/CO?

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 3, 2012 at 1:54 am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You make visa decisions based on an airline?

United is not the only airlines that flies to ACC. Nor are they the only *A airline going there. Your multi-entry visa is still good.

-RM
I make some travel decisions based on the availability of nonstop flights.

Although as I gravitate away from UNITED based on changes I don't like, that will be less and less the case...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.