Wiki Posts
Search

Help a guy out!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Memories. . .

this thread is so bringing back memories of Markbach and stockmanjr when they were starting out on this board!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: nothing but freebies
OZ is not that bad, if you can fly OZ at least once or twice a year. Yes, their redemption value for award ticket sucks(especially they charge FS), but OZ upgrade is not that bad(30k for tpac ow and their upgradable fare is comparable to UA W or V class for tpac, pricewise) and you get mileage discount coupon for upgrade when you requalify for diamond/d+(*G equivlalent).

OZ Also allows you to have multiple stop-overs for *A redemption, depends on the region. With now-gone BofA amex cc(2mile/$ on everything), it was one of the best combo.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Zoui21
According to a couple of my brothers friends who are UA GS they get upgraded pretty often purely because of GS status, and I'm talking TATL's
I dont see myself hitting GS for a while though, but it will be a hope to one day get that invite. Maybe after college when I can work for a company that can shell out for full fare C and F.
Originally Posted by rruaco
On the rare occasions they have to do it then it usually goes:

Airline's elites.
*A elites.
Everyone else.
Honestly, you can't rely on op-ups too much. It would make sense in the case of overbooking for UA to upgrade their best customers first. So if you're a 2P, you're going to be behind the GS on the list for op-ups. Although, I've been op-upped when I had no status before so YMMV BUT usually it will go to higher level elites.

From the OP, you say your dad was upgraded to F on DL. Was that domestic or intl since DL doesn't have an Intl First Class product? Either way, there are various reasons for this. He could have been on YBM fare or some other reason. Main point is, op-ups are rare-ish, and you shouldn't rely on them and when they do happen, it's usually given out to higher status passengers.

Accrual wise, I'd say pretty much all the legacy carriers are pretty much the same across the board and (for me at least) choose the carrier to credit based on convenience - who I will probably fly the most from where I live. One downside of DL is that you can't redeem a true Intl F award since they don't have F. That means no KL/AF or KE or MH F. Max redemption is for a J seat.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT; SPG GLD; HLT GLD
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
For the refit program, follow this thread.

I think the general consensus is that more seats become available close-in, presumably after they conclude they won't sell them.
I wonder when that is, I won't be able to book the actual award for a little as I still need another 15K miles, but I think I might have just enough trips lined up so I can make it an end of the year.

By the way, this is a bit OT but I was wondering, could I potentially uncredit some flights on LH and switch the miles to UA, I bought pre-merger tickets flying NYC-LHR with a stopover in IAD and booked with LH FF#, this was all on CO website while the IAD-LHR was a UA/CO codeshare. So basically, the day after that was when I decided to switch to UA, so I changed my FF# on the CO website, but that didn't reflect on the UA flight, basically I got the 216 miles credited for the NYC-IAD, but the IAD-LHR got credited to LH, which wasn't what I wanted, when that happened I decided I would just hit LH FT status this year because I had enough flights lined up. But when I got 125 miles for a LHR-IST flight, that seemed to not be happening anymore and it's basically why I've started this whole insane thread.

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Consider LX F as well. I haven't done it, but people really like it. And if you can arrange FRA-ZRH-US, you'll be able to access FCT for your FRA-ZRH leg.
Man, that seems pretty good. Anyone have LX F review links? But yea, that would be pretty great. I was wondering, I would have to start this massive trip from LHR, so would I need to pick up my luggage if I flew LHR-FRA(-ZUR?)-NYC if the LHR-FRA and FRA-NYC were booked separately and possibly on separate airlines, or could they figuire out a way to make that transfer.

PS Is it possible to book one way LH award tickets? I'm not really sure how on the website

Originally Posted by blahter
Honestly, you can't rely on op-ups too much. It would make sense in the case of overbooking for UA to upgrade their best customers first. So if you're a 2P, you're going to be behind the GS on the list for op-ups. Although, I've been op-upped when I had no status before so YMMV BUT usually it will go to higher level elites.
No, I'm not talking op-ups, he literally gets upgraded very frequently on intl. flights, just because of his status. He explained it to me that UA tries to do it this way: they fill F as much as possible (with elites if not sold out), then they fill up J, and then they focus on Y, not like on other airlines when its usually the other way around. I'm assuming these upgrades are only applicable to GS and maybe 1K. Still, from all the chatter I've been reading up on here, UA doesnt give upgrades. My brain is just pure confused , because although there are a good amount of FFers here, we are still a pretty limited percentage of the actual FFers, maybe a lot of us are just unlucky

From the OP, you say your dad was upgraded to F on DL. Was that domestic or intl since DL doesn't have an Intl First Class product? Either way, there are various reasons for this. He could have been on YBM fare or some other reason. Main point is, op-ups are rare-ish, and you shouldn't rely on them and when they do happen, it's usually given out to higher status passengers.
This was a super weird case, and yea, it was my mistake, I did mean BE not F, I figured it out after I wrote it but he definitely wasn't flying YBM (whenever he flies on his $ he opts to choose the cheapest tickets), and even if he was, he's DL Silver and the plane wasn't full. I have a feeling it may have been a lucky pre-christmas present from DL. But still, I was very surprised.

Accrual wise, I'd say pretty much all the legacy carriers are pretty much the same across the board and (for me at least) choose the carrier to credit based on convenience - who I will probably fly the most from where I live. One downside of DL is that you can't redeem a true Intl F award since they don't have F. That means no KL/AF or KE or MH F. Max redemption is for a J seat.
Yea, they're all about the same but still, I definitely want something that fits my needs. The problem is that I basically don't have a hub per se, as I fly equally from DYU,LHR, and NYC. I find a benefit of one program and then it gets overpowered by a benefit from another or undercut by a routing problem or something of the sort.

Originally Posted by edta450
OZ is not that bad, if you can fly OZ at least once or twice a year. Yes, their redemption value for award ticket sucks(especially they charge FS), but OZ upgrade is not that bad(30k for tpac ow and their upgradable fare is comparable to UA W or V class for tpac, pricewise) and you get mileage discount coupon for upgrade when you requalify for diamond/d+(*G equivlalent).

OZ Also allows you to have multiple stop-overs for *A redemption, depends on the region. With now-gone BofA amex cc(2mile/$ on everything), it was one of the best combo.
The thing is I have no idea when/where I would fly on OZ. The only reason for me flying this much is because I'm in boarding school and my family has houses in UK,CZ,TJ,and the US. I don't see any way I would be flying around OZ routes unless they have a routes from NY to LHR or flights around europe, which I find very unlikely. My dad barely agrees to spend the extra $100 to fly *A instead of VS/BA/DL, I don't see him coming around to a mile run to South Korea. Other elements of the airline seem nice though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.