Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Possible reasons
-- Oversold economy / lower cabin
-- Irrops of other flights creating an oversold economy situation
-- change of scheduled aircraft ( or an expected change), this is to protect against overbooking business
-- broken seat(s)
-- pilot / crew rest seat(s)

Generally, this is good news for those on the upgrade list and a possible chance of Op-ups for some.
Print Wikipost

Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
So, it looks like there was an equipment swap - but to another PS bird. Also, very strangely the flight which showed 13 blocked is now booked "full" with 13 seats still unassigned (I know seat map =\= seats sold). It was booked 13 + 13 blocked a few hours earlier. Guess they are protecting those last 13 seats still and the 2 available were sold.

Tried calling to SDC to an earlier flight, but Y is sold out - so even though earlier flight has J and R space, I'm SOL.

To add, the original aircraft was moved to the earlier departure and the current aircraft has no "where is this aircraft coming from" section to check. Strange!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 13, 2015 at 8:57 pm Reason: Merge
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Looks like a swap. UA will swap to cover the over-booking in Y if it's dramatically higher than the # of J seats they can fill.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by hagan73
Flying PS tomorrow and the flight is booked 13/28 with +13 seats blocked. Is this anything to worry about? Inbound aircraft arrives ~20 hours earlier the night before, so I wouldn't think there's an equip swap.

Is this normal and I'm just looking too much in to it?
could it be blocked for some kind of special group?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hagan73
So, it looks like there was an equipment swap - but to another PS bird.
What's the ship number? ("aircraft #" on the mobile site). Have you checked that config vs. the United fleet site info for 757-200s, https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking to see how many F seats it has?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mherdeg
This usually means that coach is oversold and they're expecting to do operational upgrades (so they don't want to oversell J, which is their relief valve).

It can very occasionally mean that they are expecting to swap to an aircraft with fewer F seats ("decommit" the original aircraft); your current posted inbound might change and they miiiiiight be planning for that. But it's rare.
However, if UA can sell some additional J seats, those fares would be much greater than VDB or IDB compensation.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Half Blocked F Cabin - any need to worry?

So, turns out it was just a straight up overbooking. 28 seat PS F went out full. Boarded late and saw a Gold get the beep and was assigned a new seat across from me. I guess half of F was op-ups - lucky them!

FA went around doing first and second meal choices, including for my GF beside me. I preemptively started telling him my 2nd choice (after the beef of course) and he laughed and told me there would be no need for my 2nd choice - "that won't be necessary" . I guess there was more beef that GS/1Ks!

Food was superb, beef was just falling apart. Shrimps were huge and delicious - snagged an extra 2 from the vegetarian GF. Cashews were whole, PDBs were served and the limes in our drink were always present and bigger than I cut them at home. Crew was polite and happy to help. Really couldn't have asked for a nicer flight or better crew.

All the cynics here really help me to enjoy my premium cabin experiences on United.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Blocked F seats on UA app, not on website

I am checking the flight status for UA 1592 for Sat Apr 18 2015. If you check on the UA app, the upgrade list shows 4 F seats booked (+10 blocked). When I look on United.com it just shows the 4 F seats booked with no mention of blocked seats. Anyone have any idea of what these blocked seats are for? Tour group? I'm trying to figure out if they'll be any buy up to first class available at check in... Thank you!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Anyone have any idea of what these blocked seats are for? I'm trying to figure out if they'll be any buy up to first class available at check in... Thank you!
Is Economy oversold or full?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:25 am

Economy is showing as full, and I'm not sure/aware of oversold conditions. But hoping they will be selling upgrades at check in...

Originally Posted by aacharya
Is Economy oversold or full?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:30 am

Just checked United.com and it looks like they are only selling 6 F seats on that flight (20 seats, 4 booked, 10 blocked) - so I guess the flight must be oversold by 10 seats. Hopefully they get 10 people to ‘buy up’ to F (or I guess J, in this case) otherwise they’ll be upgrading for free lol
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: MileagePlus GS
Reasons for blocking BusinessFirst seats

I noticed on my flight AMS-IAH on Monday that there are 13 blocked seats in BusinessFirst.
I know usually one is blocked for the pilot, but 13?
What would the reasons be for blocking so many seats?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Oversold in economy...
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:32 pm

NRT to GUM 9booked in F (4 blocked) 3 available

Hello,

Looking at the upgrade list for flight UA 197 leaving NRT on 25 June and noticed 4 Business seats are blocked and was wondering is this for air crew or is this allowing passengers a chance to pay up to business class? If no passengers pay up would 7 seats become available for those on upgrade list or should I only expect 3 seats to be given away?

Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Here are a couple scenarios...

- Overbooked in Y so they are holding back F.
- Possibly held for dead-heading crew.

If the seats don't go used then they should be available for upgrade.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:39 pm

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.