Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Low Fare Guarantee Questions and Answers {Gone?}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

I can't tell from the terms I found, does UAL's guarantee apply to the base or a/i price?

thanks!

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...guarantee.aspx
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Rule #7 says base fare differences.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Something's funny about #5.

It does not require for the same fare class at all.

It simply requires same cabin and the lowest available fare.

So is that mean in theory, when UA suddenly opens up K inventory (and let's say I booked in L), I can still claim it if it is $10 or more?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Rule #7 says base fare differences.
no, it says
This offer does not apply to base fare differences of less than $10 USD
it does not say they match to base fare, has anyone had luck matching base fare? or do they match a/i price when the base fare difference is over $10?

Last edited by ClimbGuy; Mar 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:08 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Post-Merger No Low Fare Guarantee? (despite appearing on united.com???)

This is the one where if you find the exact same itin a commercial site later the same day you booked on .bomb you get refunded the difference and $100cert. http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...guarantee.aspx

Was told several times today that is no longer honored???? (despite still coming up on .bomb????)

My probably worthless email to [email protected] (better place to send?)

I am writing about the appalling service that I have received today in over 1 1/2 hours, transferred among 6 united agents.
Your website describes United.com as having a low-fare guarantee. The first agent I spoke with had no idea what it was, yet resisted transferring me to a supervisor, repeatedly returning to the line to repeat her incorrect interpretations. When finally I insisted to be transferred to a supervisor, it turns out she merely had put me back in the queue, so that the next person I reached was not a supervisor. Although he transferred me to a supervisor without hesitation, the supervisor I reached incorrectly stated the idea of the guarantee and said that if I had found a better price on Expedia, I should just buy it there! So...I told her that was surely not what was intended, so she would transfer me to the 1k desk. There, the woman was generally clueless, but at least attempted to call for help. In the meantime she said I should purchase the expedia fare, which she believed to be a requirement so I did. Finally, she said that I would have to speak with united.com support. After having one agent begin the verification process with expedia, I was disconnected; the second united.com agent told me to take a screenshot, but was unsure what I should do with it. Finally a supervisor there said that despite its appearance on united.com, the policy had not been honored since the merger, leaving unanswered why the page still appears on the website and furthermore why it formally said continental.com, yet was changed at the merger to say united.com. Finally, I called the French-speaking line (where, paradoxically, the representative spoke the best English of the all the agents I had encountered) but she knew only about what to do if I found a lower fare on united.com. I gave up.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:23 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Post-Merger No Low Fare Guarantee? (despite appearing on united.com???)

This is the one where if you find the exact same itin a commercial site later the same day you booked on .bomb you get refunded the difference and $100cert. http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...guarantee.aspx

Was told several times today that is no longer honored???? (despite still coming up on .bomb????)

My probably worthless email to [email protected] (better place to send?):

I am writing about the appalling service that I have received today in over 1 1/2 hours, transferred among 6 united agents.
Your website describes United.com as having a low-fare guarantee. The first agent I spoke with had no idea what it was, yet resisted transferring me to a supervisor, repeatedly returning to the line to repeat her incorrect interpretations. When finally I insisted to be transferred to a supervisor, it turns out she merely had put me back in the queue, so that the next person I reached was not a supervisor. Although he transferred me to a supervisor without hesitation, the supervisor I reached incorrectly stated the idea of the guarantee and said that if I had found a better price on Expedia, I should just buy it there! So...I told her that was surely not what was intended, so she would transfer me to the 1k desk. There, the woman was generally clueless, but at least attempted to call for help. In the meantime she said I should purchase the expedia fare, which she believed to be a requirement so I did. Finally, she said that I would have to speak with united.com support. After having one agent begin the verification process with expedia, I was disconnected; the second united.com agent told me to take a screenshot, but was unsure what I should do with it. Finally a supervisor there said that despite its appearance on united.com, the policy had not been honored since the merger, leaving unanswered why the page still appears on the website and furthermore why it formally said continental.com, yet was changed at the merger to say united.com. Finally, I called the French-speaking line (where, paradoxically, the representative spoke the best English of the all the agents I had encountered) but she knew only about what to do if I found a lower fare on united.com. I gave up.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
-----

Last edited by zombietooth; May 9, 2015 at 4:40 pm
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I dread calling the 1K, now "premier", number because it rarely works-out to my satisfaction. The sad truth is that most of the agents are incompetent.

What happened to the outstanding PMUA agents with years of experience? Were they all fired?
I have a similar experience two weeks ago but I was slightly luckier. The first agent had no idea about the guarantee. On the other hand, he suggested that could ask for a refund with no penalty because of the 24-hour rule. He refused to transfer the call to a supervisor. I hung up politely and made another call.

The second agent had no idea as well but the call was transferred to a supervisor upon my request. The supervisor did check the lower fare on Orbitz immediately and agreed with my findings. Five $100 certificates took me about 40 minutes to work out. It was an itinerary of five passengers.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by samwkchan
I have a similar experience two weeks ago but I was slightly luckier. The first agent had no idea about the guarantee. On the other hand, he suggested that could ask for a refund with no penalty because of the 24-hour rule. He refused to transfer the call to a supervisor. I hung up politely and made another call.

The second agent had no idea as well but the call was transferred to a supervisor upon my request. The supervisor did check the lower fare on Orbitz immediately and agreed with my findings. Five $100 certificates took me about 40 minutes to work out. It was an itinerary of five passengers.
Which number did you use? I had heard they were going to have only US agents after the merger, but it seems like the US will be the only country with no agents. The people I spoke with were just making stuff up. I happen to have a flight today (on AA!) so I may try my luck at the airport. That's outrageous, btw, that the agent refused to put on a supervisor--the least he could have done is have the courtesy to agree and then hang up on you!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:22 pm

United low fare guarantee question.

I only saw that they only compare united website pricing to other websites. I bought a ticket directly from united website but if I saw that my flight is now cheaper than what I paid for before my departure date. Will they refund me the differences? Can I do that online or do I need to call in?

Not sure if someone has already posted this. I have searched the forum and looked around united website but couldn't find any answer.

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Only if you can document that UA was pricing your ticket higher than other sites at the time you ticketed it (of course, if that were the case, why would you purchase it from UA?). UA used to provide you a voucher for the difference when prices dropped, but it doesn't anymore.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:50 pm

So you are saying if the price dropped on UA website then I got nada?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:01 pm

Low Fare Guarantee

I have purchased an itinerary to MDE on united.com. My itinerary is as follows"
FLIGHT INFORMATION
Day, Date Flight Class Departure City and Time Arrival City and Time Aircraft Meal
Fri, 05OCT12 UA379 K SAN FRANCISCO, CA
(SFO) 8:46 AM HOUSTON, TX
(IAH -BUSH INTL) 2:34 PM 757-200 Purchase
Fri, 05OCT12 UA1007 K HOUSTON, TX
(IAH -BUSH INTL) 3:34 PM BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
(BOG) 8:36 PM 737-700 Snack
Fri, 05OCT12 UA75211 K BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
(BOG) 10:35 PM MEDELLIN CO
(MDE) 11:27 PM A-319
Thu, 11OCT12 UA75202 K MEDELLIN CO
(MDE) 8:00 PM BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
(BOG) 8:50 PM A-320
Fri, 12OCT12 UA1006 K BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
(BOG) 12:14 AM HOUSTON, TX
(IAH -BUSH INTL) 5:26 AM 737-700 Snack
Fri, 12OCT12 UA1266 K HOUSTON, TX
(IAH -BUSH INTL) 7:40 AM SAN FRANCISCO, CA
(SFO) 9:56 AM 757-200 Purchase
1 Flight operated by AVIANCA. If this is an originating flight on your itinerary, please check in at the AVIANCA ticket counter.
2 Flight operated by AVIANCA. If this is an originating flight on your itinerary, please check in at the AVIANCA ticket counter.
FARE INFORMATION
Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 558.00 USD
Per Person Total: 690.60
USD
eTicket Total: 2,762.40
USD

As of right now the same itinerary went down to $458 AI per person and I am paying $690.60. The lady said I have to change it and charge each passenger $150 and I told her I just want the difference credited back to my card. I had called twice and both came up with same results. Anyone know what I should do to????
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by vishal407
As of right now the same itinerary went down to $458 AI per person and I am paying $690.60. The lady said I have to change it and charge each passenger $150 and I told her I just want the difference credited back to my card. I had called twice and both came up with same results. Anyone know what I should do to????
The agent is correct... refares require the change fee and you'll get the differences in vouchers, not refunded to your card (probably..there is a slight chance they'll refund the difference to your card but you'll have to pay the change fee regardless). There is no "low fare guarantee" that allows for free price adjustments after booking.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When did you book the original itinerary? If within 24 hours, then you can cancel, and everything will be refunded back to your card and you can rebook the lower fare. If its been more than 24 hours, the agent is correct - you'll need to pay the change fee.

In your case, if the change fee is only $150, then it seems to be worth it to switch. However, since your itinerary is international, isn't your change fee actually going to be $250?

Buying airfare is always a gamble, no one knows when it might go up or down. On the other hand, note that UA does not raise the fare after you've bought a ticket and the price goes up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.