Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do Reward Ticket changes require full rebooking/reticketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Let's say I book an award ticket and want to make a change later on. (different cabin class, different airline, etc). Will I have to give up the entire r/t ticket in order to do this and then am only able to re-ticket at current available inventory?

I read many conflicting things about this. Does it matter the type of change or is it more a function of the Rep you speak to on the phone knowing how to properly make the change?

Ideally, I would like to book reward ticket to Europe, and a week or so prior to the trip change to first class on either LX or LH if it becomes available (I realize the fees involved). But would not want to potentially give up all the other legs I am booked on.

What's the definitive word on this post merger? Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:56 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
I posted something similarly here.

As a Platinum or higher (for me anyway, not sure what your status is) who doesn't need a stopover I'm thinking one ways are the way to go...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

I would like to be able to book r/t to take advantage of the stop over.

I thought I had previously read that people have been able to make changes like I described above without having to give up their current tickets. Although that contradicts what you said in your post. That's why I'm looking for someone with a lot of experience with this, is there an official policy or it just luck of draw on who you speak to??
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:52 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Guster14
I would like to be able to book r/t to take advantage of the stop over.

I thought I had previously read that people have been able to make changes like I described above without having to give up their current tickets. Although that contradicts what you said in your post. That's why I'm looking for someone with a lot of experience with this, is there an official policy or it just luck of draw on who you speak to??
Good question...my experience has been that changing current tickets to a different award level creates all sorts of confusion on their end...not sure if it is policy to re-ticket completely thereby risking inventory re-deposited is still there when you re-ticket...but my experience has been that if it changes the reward levels/miles needed it can become a mess...YMMV
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You can change the appropriate segments, and they will charge you (or refund) the mileage delta as appropriate.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
You can change the appropriate segments, and they will charge you (or refund) the mileage delta as appropriate.
Thanks, but I am not concerned with having to pay (or get a refund) of the mileage difference.

I am interested in know if individual segments can be easily changed (fully understanding fees & mileage deltas) without having to give up all the other legs of the trip and rebook based on current available inventory.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks, but I am not concerned with having to pay (or get a refund) of the mileage difference.

I am interested in know if individual segments can be easily changed (fully understanding fees & mileage deltas) without having to give up all the other legs of the trip and rebook based on current available inventory.
You most definitely can. The problem is the fees usually (diff agent quote diff fee).
But if you're not concern with fee, then no problem at all.

But keep in mind, after changing your itinerary, always confirm with the actual airline, even though united insist that the change has been confirmed.

Last edited by tomy77; Mar 28, 2012 at 3:29 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:24 pm

Here's what I did two nights ago. Took two phone calls (l-o-n-g wait times). Not quite the same situation as the OP but may be useful to others.

Original saver r/t economy award: SFO-HNL-stopover-HNL-GUM-ROR/ROR-GUM-NRT. I wanted to convert this to an open jaw as follows:
Outbound: SFO-HNL-stopover-GUM-ROR
Inbound: NRT-SFO

And insert a saver first class one-way award: ROR-MNL-SIN-NRT

The first agent said what I wanted to do was permitted but she couldn't convert my r/t award to open jaw and add in the second one-way saver first award in the same itinerary due to "system issues". She also told me she couldn't see the award availability on her system on Singapore Airlines between MNL and SIN but I had it on the UA Mileage Plus award booking website. She recommended I leave my r/t award intact, book the one-way saver award online, then call back and have the r/t converted to open jaw and link the two PNRs together.

So that's what I did. I successfully booked the one way saver first award. Then called MP back (60 minutes on hold). Agent was able to convert my round trip saver economy award to open jaw and link my two PNRs together. Only snag was the fare desk was taking forever to compute the additional taxes. Agent took my number and promised to call back within 30 minutes to finalize the booking. Which, to my surprise, he did.

So now I have:
SFO-HNL (stopover)
HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM
GUM-ROR (destination)
ROR-MNL (forced overnight/24 hour rule)
MNL-SIN (forced overnight/24 hour rule)
SIN-NRT (destination)
NRT-SFO
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Here's what I did two nights ago. Took two phone calls (l-o-n-g wait times). Not quite the same situation as the OP but may be useful to others.

Original saver r/t economy award: SFO-HNL-stopover-HNL-GUM-ROR/ROR-GUM-NRT. I wanted to convert this to an open jaw as follows:
Outbound: SFO-HNL-stopover-GUM-ROR
Inbound: NRT-SFO

And insert a saver first class one-way award: ROR-MNL-SIN-NRT

The first agent said what I wanted to do was permitted but she couldn't convert my r/t award to open jaw and add in the second one-way saver first award in the same itinerary due to "system issues". She also told me she couldn't see the award availability on her system on Singapore Airlines between MNL and SIN but I had it on the UA Mileage Plus award booking website. She recommended I leave my r/t award intact, book the one-way saver award online, then call back and have the r/t converted to open jaw and link the two PNRs together.

So that's what I did. I successfully booked the one way saver first award. Then called MP back (60 minutes on hold). Agent was able to convert my round trip saver economy award to open jaw and link my two PNRs together. Only snag was the fare desk was taking forever to compute the additional taxes. Agent took my number and promised to call back within 30 minutes to finalize the booking. Which, to my surprise, he did.

So now I have:
SFO-HNL (stopover)
HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM
GUM-ROR (destination)
ROR-MNL (forced overnight/24 hour rule)
MNL-SIN (forced overnight/24 hour rule)
SIN-NRT (destination)
NRT-SFO
Interesting. So will it still be 2 PNR technically? What's the advantage of linking it together?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by tomy77
You most definitely can. The problem is the fees usually (diff agent quote diff fee).
But if you're not concern with fee, then no problem at all.

But keep in mind, after changing your itinerary, always confirm with the actual airline, even though united insist that the change has been confirmed.
I'd agree with this. I was able to easily change just one segment on my Europe r/t saver reward in J and keep all the other flights the same. Inventory/availability at the time of change didn't seem to matter except for the flight I was wishing to add. Of course, additional miles or refund and taxes are in play.

Of course, to be safe, I would always ask the agent if all other flights are safe/valid if I'm adding or dropping segments before they go ahead with the transaction.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Not a problem. You just tell them which segments you want to replace.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Absolutely not a problem. I've done it many times.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by tomy77
Interesting. So will it still be 2 PNR technically? What's the advantage of linking it together?
Yes, it is still two PNRs. I couldn't think of any good reasons to link them but the first agent suggested it so I went with her suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.