Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can 1Ks no longer bring their spouse to E+ with them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre

Mrs. Emanon and I almost always travel on separate PNRs. I am usually traveling for work, and she either fly’s out with me and heads back early, or fly’s out later and fly’s home with me.

In the past, UA would always allow her to sit next to me in E+ for the segment on which we are on the same flight. I believe this was the published policy. I would always call or ask at the airport a few weeks in advance and they would seat her next to me.

I just called and asked her to be moved next to me in E+ for an upcoming trip and was told by the agent that she cannot sit in E+ unless she pays the fee; the agent said this was the new policy. I called again and the agent said that the system will not allow them to move a GM to E+ and to ask at the gate on the day of departure, that’s it’s allowed but the new system doesn’t support it. I then asked at the airport and was told they did not know how to do this and to call reservations. I asked a different agent at the airport and was told that there is no way to move a GM to E+ unless they pay, that it’s a limitation of the new system.

So I take that as a “No”, a “Yes but SHARES can’t”, an “I don’t know”, and another “The system won’t support it”. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if the policy was changed?

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
They should be able to. pmCO could do this, but you had to call it in.

Another option: Buy your wifes ticket along with yourself, once it tickets, separate yourself and cancel. Your wife should retain her E+.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
All Premiers are supposed to be able to request E+ for a companion on the same reservation. As a 1k your companion is supposed to get it at time of booking.

http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/Cont....aspx?Mobile=1

I suppose that the probelm could be that your companion is returning a day earlier than you, and thus is not on the saem reservation?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by redwoman
All Premiers are supposed to be able to request E+ for a companion on the same reservation. As a 1k your companion is supposed to get it at time of booking.

http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/Cont....aspx?Mobile=1

I suppose that the probelm could be that your companion is returning a day earlier than you, and thus is not on the saem reservation?
The PMUA policy was that it was only when you were on the same flight, not the same reservation. So she could be in E+ for the segment that we were both on, but not the segment where she was alone. So I am guessing this was another change I am supposed to like, but I really hope not.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Absolutely ridiculous. Can't wait to hear the excuses for this one.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hobo13
Absolutely ridiculous. Can't wait to hear the excuses for this one.

Enjoy the enhanced benefit of E+ for your spouse (when you make MM and can nominate them to your status)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If this turns out to be a new policy, it will be a major negative for me. I'm not sure that it's the straw that breaks the camel's back, but it's very close for me.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:54 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Seems like so many camels backs are getting hurt because of this merger.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by sfo
Seems like so many camels backs are getting hurt because of this merger.
Although the camels wish otherwise, there certainly doesn't seem to be a shortage of straw.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I didn't have any problems doing this for a flight later this week. I even had an agent tell me that E+ was no problem, but separate reservations means that I can not request a companion upgrade for her (which I already knew).
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
"Another option: Buy your wifes ticket along with yourself, once it tickets, separate yourself and cancel. Your wife should retain her E+. "
--- that's a cool idea.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I can confirm that on PMCO you could call in and put up to 2 traveling companions in preferred seating. Used to do with work colleagues and with my wife when we were flying from different cities to the same destination.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by kcblakely
Your wife should retain her E+. "
--- that's a cool idea.
Until the first sweep of schedule changes occurs.

Call again and see if you can get the CORRECT answer!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Avis Preferred; PriorityClub Gold; nada anywhere else
Yes, call again. I just did this last week with no problem at all.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
For the first time EVER, my wife and I failed to clear the first class upgrade going LAX to HNL on a 767 last week. At the gate, we wound up on split PNRs, and I cleared then she didn't (I'm 1K, she no longer has status). OK. That isn't supposed to happen, but OK. Coming back, we had a flight canc. On the rebooked flight, we discover that we remain on now separate PNRs meaning no chance for her to upgrade. Bad. Worse, she has lost her (well, mine as we swapped) E+ seat as she is not on my PNR and has no status. Even though we booked the trip on a single reservation.

I was able to fix this at the RCC by throwing a CR1 at her, but this is NOT how the system is advertized to work. There are some crushed camels out there.

I said I would never cave, but 2 weeks from now: SEA-HNL on AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.