Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

At <24h, int'l UPGs now only can be WL'd by airport staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At <24h, int'l UPGs now only can be WL'd by airport staff

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
This policy of basically erasing the WL at 24 hrs, is really a bad idea for those of us whose international flights (where GPU really matters) are connecting from another station. We have a SEA-SFO-SYD flight later this year and the idea that we would wait until the change of plane at SFO to GET on the list again, is pathetic. Come to think of it, I think this is something that CO may have done previously--we had a dramatic wait at the gate on an EWR-BOM flight last year and I think we got on only because I asked a CSR at EWR when we arrived there if we were on the WL--she couldn't find us, although we'd been on the WL for 3 months.

How did CO have such a fine reputation for customer service? Or was that in the previous administration? I recall in the 1960s-1970s always preferring CO to UA on SEA-DEN flights; and when they pulled out of DEN, I had fewer experiences and didn't know how much CO had changed.

Flyer 420
in sunny (seriously) Seattle
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
She noted that this "new process" (ie, the only way to get on the <24h list is to do it at the airport) applies only to int'l flights and not to dom ones.
If the list doesn't transfer over (and it has in the past but that might not be active or it might be broken since 3/3; I have no idea) then the action of being put back on the list manually is, in fact, an airport function. I wouldn't expect the phone agents to be able to handle airport functions.
Originally Posted by mghorton
And I was told that GPU upgraders would NOT be added to that airport list, only miles + money.
This is patently false. Plenty of agents are confused about the new policies. Unfortunate, but it comes with change.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
TOD stands for "Tens of Dollars". $599 is not tens of dollars.
I'd say it basically is when it's C-F on a US-Asia flight.

Originally Posted by hobo13
11 posts in a row with sympathy toward the OP, and not one Globester telling us that there's no way this could possibly ever happen. Seems like a record these days!
Things are so bad that all the apologists and shills have either given up or gone to ground.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 24, 2012 at 8:53 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
There was a long related thread that I can't find, but this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18210316-post31.html
has part of it.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
If the list doesn't transfer over (and it has in the past but that might not be active or it might be broken since 3/3; I have no idea) then the action of being put back on the list manually is, in fact, an airport function. I wouldn't expect the phone agents to be able to handle airport functions.
Hmm, I've had phone agents cancel my check-in. This is something I can't do online; is it also an "airport function"? Or is "airport function" just shorthand for "something phone agents can't do"?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Hmm, I've had phone agents cancel my check-in.... is it also an "airport function"?
AFAIK, no. That said, when a flight is at gate control (i.e. check-in closed) I do believe that getting off-loaded can only happen at the gate. But I might be wrong.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Or is "airport function" just shorthand for "something phone agents can't do"?
That is certainly one limitation of it being an airport function.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by Flyer420
We have a SEA-SFO-SYD flight later this year and the idea that we would wait until the change of plane at SFO to GET on the list again, is pathetic.
Flyer 420
in sunny (seriously) Seattle
Actually, I was thinking that if all of this is true, a person connecting to an international flight from another airport might have an advantage, as they would be at the first airport much earlier than people just flying the international segment alone, and could get added earlier. This assumes that any agent at any airport could add you to the wait list, which seems likely if the RCC people can do it as reported.

But, really, it's an awful system if the descriptions are true!

(Loved our recent visit to Seattle - and it was sunny then too!)
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
TOD stands for "Tens of Dollars". $599 is not tens of dollars.
$600 to upgrade to international 3-cabin F? I'd call that tens of dollars regardless.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by RealFan
I am glad someone started a thread on this because I am very confused and was about to post my experience from this week. I am a GS and was traveling between ORD and Asia (outbound to PEK, return from NRT).

Two weeks ago, I put in for GPUs to move from J/C to F. For both segments, the online reservation showed the booked and waitlisted segments. On Monday of this week, I went to the airport knowing that I hadn't cleared on the outbound. At the United Club, I asked about my status on the w/l and was told that I wasn't on it. I was also told that the new policy was that one could not request to be put on the w/l after T < 24. I complained that I had put in for a GPU two weeks ago and the agents put me back on the list. I ended up being #1 and never cleared.

While in Asia during the week, I called the GS line to check on my return upgrade. Now mind you the nice ladies at the United Club at ORD told me that my return upgrade was properly documented, looked good, and would most likely come through (no promises of course). When I called to check on Wednesday, the GS agent told me that not only was I not on the w/l, but that she had no history indicating that I had ever been on it. I asked to NOT be put back on the list due to all this confusion. Of course, two GPUs are missing from my account and have yet to return.

I am so confused about what is the right procedure and why my upgrades are not working. I hope UA gets its act together very soon.
PM UAInsider- they are working through these situations and need specific examples in order to solve the problem. This is really, truly alarming as it seems like they are simultaneously holding back R space until less than 24 hours
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
TOD = substantially less than the normal fare difference.

$599 on an international flight is TOD
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by ExExpat
PM UAInsider- they are working through these situations and need specific examples in order to solve the problem. This is really, truly alarming as it seems like they are simultaneously holding back R space until less than 24 hours
PM'd several hours ago. No reply. Also, I see that the upgrade space has been opened up (1 seat), but since I'm already checked in, res can't now

What's most disappointing/frustrating about all of these problems is that the new system won't allow human intervention into the process. I don't think it's a coincidence that the new DL TV ads make reference to DL's application of "common sense" into the airline experience. UA used to have this, but the new managers clearly don't want this as part of the new airline. Quite frustrating. DL's new ad campaign has resonated strongly with me and as a result, I stepped onto a DL plane last week for the first time in several years.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
After checking with airport, 1k supervisor advised that the "new process" is that not only do int'l res WL (ie, those created > 24 hours from flight) NOT automatically transfer to the airport nowadays, but that the ONLY way to get on the airport UPG list is at the airport at departure. Online check-in does NOT put one on the WL for int'l flights.
She noted that this "new process" (ie, the only way to get on the <24h list is to do it at the airport) applies only to int'l flights and not to dom ones....
Originally Posted by RealFan
.. I was also told that the new policy was that one could not request to be put on the w/l after T < 24. I complained that I had put in for a GPU two weeks ago and the agents put me back on the list. I ended up being #1 and never cleared.....
combination of misinformation on new process (for PMUA folks) and poorly functioning systems and terminology differences.

If working correct (which is not a certainity), anyone on a waitlist at T-24 is transferred to the upgrade standby list (note not called waitlist). And you can not make a new "waitlist" request post T-24. If there is R/RN space you should be able to make a post T-24 request but that needs to be done on the phone, not at the airport.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
So where do miles+copay factor into all this?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
So where do miles+copay factor into all this?
GPU and Miles+copay should be lumped together and priority is by Status, fare class, and time of request
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by StingWest
Actually, I was thinking that if all of this is true, a person connecting to an international flight from another airport might have an advantage, as they would be at the first airport much earlier than people just flying the international segment alone, and could get added earlier. This assumes that any agent at any airport could add you to the wait list, which seems likely if the RCC people can do it as reported.

But, really, it's an awful system if the descriptions are true!

(Loved our recent visit to Seattle - and it was sunny then too!)
In my case it was a disadvantage. Went to bed in SGN with wife and I waitlised for Y-C for HKG/ORD segment. Got up the next morning of the early AM flight SGN/HKG and we were no longer waitlisted. At checkin in SGN, I asked the agent to fix it. He said he could not that it could only be done in HKG. Got to HKG and asked gate agent to fix it. She wanted to know how I wanted to pay for the upgrade. I told her Global Premier Upgrade. She did not know what that was. I explained that it was a SWU. She then told me that I had not paid enough for our tickets to use a SWU. I argued with her that a W fare was upgradable. After 30 minutes on the phone and talking with other agents and typing on the computer, she told me she had gotten us back on the waitlist. After we boarded and were seated in our E+ seats, she came onto the plane and gave us our C boarding passes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.