Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA MM
+1 ^ fastair, much appreciate your insights into how it really is!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow. Can't imagine anything even remotely close to this happening to AA EXPs or DL DMs.
Don't jinx it dude !!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Robt760
Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow. Can't imagine anything even remotely close to this happening to AA EXPs or DL DMs.
Don't jinx it dude !!
Indeed - we need green grass elsewhere to stay green

Speaking of grass- Now I know what CO's yellow is based on too.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:55 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Thnx guys/gals. Again, it is only my perspective. I won't interpret policy on behalf of the company or make any non-publi/ common knowledge statements, I'm not authorized to do so, not do I have the inside connections to do so if I could. I am sure uainsider has other job responsibilities other that patrolling ft, which I bet is keeping them very busy right now. And I am sure there are some things they choose to handle internally/private vs on an anon internet forum. After all, not all pr is done thru mass media channels.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
Oh, it is still possible and done, it just causes the ticket to go out of sync. Nothing that can't be fixed, it just adds to the agents workload to stop on the middle of boarding when the gate reader says the passenger has no ticket. We can research some of it in advance, but to fix it would requir knowledge of which flight they were really gonna board. Most of the time, unless a clear misconnect, that can't be determined until they board
I've been protected on a later flight by CO numerous times, both by gate/ticket counter agents and by the automated system, and I don't remember ever having a problem with the gate reader when boarding my original earlier flight.

I wonder why this would have changed in the transition?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:48 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by JonIND
I've been protected on a later flight by CO numerous times, both by gate/ticket counter agents and by the automated system, and I don't remember ever having a problem with the gate reader when boarding my original earlier flight.

I wonder why this would have changed in the transition?
The problem, I believe happens when you make the earlier flight. I've spoken to a UA supe about this and she thinks it is due to one of the user definable options when running this program. From what I hear, there is an option to have it check you in for the later flight (I don't know why, u still need a boarding pass, check in when you get that!). Lol, if I knew what was causing it, I would have a solution already. New people using old software in new situations without experience has a high likelihood of not using it the right way.

Anyway, enough of this tangent. Getting to far off the op's topic for too long.

Last edited by fastair; Mar 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Old Mar 24, 2012, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robbeck1
Similarly, UA 6483 LAX-YVR 3/13 CR7: 2 of 6 F occupied per boarding area message board, 4 open. "First Class has checked-in full" announcement. Board still shows 4 F open. Boarded, door closed, 4 empty F stay that way - 2/3 of the cabin.
Maybe 4 people did check in but then misconnected.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
After all, not all pr is done thru mass media channels.
I'm trying really hard to think of present-day PR that isn't done through mass media channels. Perhaps you meant social media?

In any event, it may well be that FT is burning with a flame a bit too bright to be dealt with, and more exposure here for UnitedPR might draw more attention than wanted until things settle down a bit. If UnitedPR says anything and the results aren't seen immediately, some at FT will be quick to jump on the bandwagon that says he/she's lying. I wouldn't blame them if they saw FT as being a no-win situation at the moment.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I'm trying really hard to think of present-day PR that isn't done through mass media channels. Perhaps you meant social media?

In any event, it may well be that FT is burning with a flame a bit too bright to be dealt with, and more exposure here for UnitedPR might draw more attention than wanted until things settle down a bit. If UnitedPR says anything and the results aren't seen immediately, some at FT will be quick to jump on the bandwagon that says he/she's lying. I wouldn't blame them if they saw FT as being a no-win situation at the moment.
PR also does "damage control" and keeping negative things private and out of mass media is part of the goal (at least I would hope so) when it is not flattering. At least on tv and in movies, 1st the spin Dr's try to hide problems, if they fail there, then they try to spin them in a not so bad light. So, I did mean mass media...squashing bad things from mass media is as important as getting good things out into it.

Non disclousre agreements, bribes, discrediting sources before they become viral...all part of the tools of some PR people to stay out of mass media. Heck, some governments MIGHT even go so far as assassination to keep bad news from leaking and hitting the press.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The point wasn't about adding segments - it was getting protected on later flights while still on an existing flight (so a "just in case" booking).

That's what was referenced as no longer being possible. Guess we'll see what people say about it.
CO was never willing or able to do this for me in 10+ years of flying with them. An irrop that required a change resulted in a change at that point in time - no "just in case" segments. Whether by programming or policy it never happened. Having said this, I was never unable to get a ticket re-routed either over the phone or at the airport due to irrops, although I had to push the issue on a couple of occasions.

Delta, on the other hand, was able to add and confirm (HK1) segments (sometimes more than 1) when I called SMS and they saw I had a pending misconnect issue....quite often the agent knew exactly what I needed before he/she even said hello as their system would pop my profile and current situation up on their screen before connecting the call.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Sadly, that was not the case in my experience last weekend in LAX. Neither the United Club agents or those working the Premier Hotline were able to assist. Despite numerous requests for help, they all deferred to the gate(s).
These are all the reports recently. Apparently a policy change with the migration that UA better fix or they are sending folks to competitors.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by halls120
I was wondering when I would see the above. When our agency shifted from DOS to Windows back in the late 90's (yes, we were tardy), the management forgot one tiny detail - server space. When you would come into work in the morning, the system was fine. By 11am, when everyone was on line, the system would crash like clockwork. We learned to download the files we needed for the day to our desktops and work in local mode. After 6 months they fired the IT contractor and spent big $$ to upgrade the infrastructure.

Maybe the real problem here is simply United miscalculated the increased data load on the Shares system.
No this isnt really a data load issue. They knew well in advance the requirements for data. It is that SHARES is just an inferior system in it's capabilities. I have worked for Sabre and winning over SHARES customers was always a pretty easy sell given it's limitations. This was purely a cost decision on UA's part to go with SHARES..not because of it's capabilities.

Though i dont know the specific details, i can promise you that SHARES is far cheaper then Travelport ( owner of Apollo) was offering.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Heck, some governments MIGHT even go so far as assassination to keep bad news from leaking and hitting the press.
I've always felt comfortable posting in my real name.

Until now.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Superguy
Seeing all these threads shows me I made the right decision in ditching UA.
I gave up on UA 15 years ago. Glad to hear that things have improved in the mean time
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
CO was never willing or able to do this for me in 10+ years of flying with them. An irrop that required a change resulted in a change at that point in time - no "just in case" segments. Whether by programming or policy it never happened. Having said this, I was never unable to get a ticket re-routed either over the phone or at the airport due to irrops, although I had to push the issue on a couple of occasions.

Delta, on the other hand, was able to add and confirm (HK1) segments (sometimes more than 1) when I called SMS and they saw I had a pending misconnect issue....quite often the agent knew exactly what I needed before he/she even said hello as their system would pop my profile and current situation up on their screen before connecting the call.
Too bad - sounds like the PMUA benefit (not just 1K/GS, IME) of proactive add'l segments has bit the dust.

Legendary PMCO IRROPS stories are all the more understandable now if they never allowed adding "just in case" segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.