Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs US First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
UA vs US First Class

I am looking to use MP miles for 2 roundtrip tickets in 1st class between SFO and PHL. On the days of travel, there are no saver awards on UA (25K each way) but there are US award seats at the saver award level.

For two people roundtrip, it is the difference between 100K and 200K miles. I have heard disparaging remarks about US but would it really be worth it to spend double the miles just to get on UA?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:41 pm

Certainly don't think it is worth double. But I wouldn't use one mile for USAirways domestic FC, ever. This was concluded on a flight a few years ago when a gentlemen next to me in First requested a soda during boarding and the flight attendant responded "no, you will never finish it in time". I know there are good experiences on that airline, but seems much too much a crap shoot to spend any decent amount of miles on.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Have only been in US F once, when I needed a last-minute one way PHL-ORD, and it wasn't a bad price compared to the economy options out there. I got PDB and pretty friendly service throughout the flight. Interior was a bit tired and worn, but no worse than a UA 752. Would definitely fly it again for a saver award price
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
No inflight entertainment, but if you have on flight wifi then you're set.

Meal, dessert, and pretty attentive FAs made my 1 experience ok.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Continental250K
No inflight entertainment, but if you have on flight wifi then you're set.

Meal, dessert, and pretty attentive FAs made my 1 experience ok.
I know a lot of folks travel with a laptop or dvd player or something like but I generally don't and always find it amazing that US flies 5 hour transcons with zero inflight entertainment....especially since nearly all of the competition (including a LCC like JetBlue) has some form of onboard video...weird...also, SFO-PHL should have meal service (if it isn't a red eye) but otherwise your flight has to be at least 3.5 hours before you get a meal in F which is kinda stingy in my book.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I have heard disparaging remarks about US but would it really be worth it to spend double the miles just to get on UA?
For God's sake, no. There's no IFE (as was the case on NW) and there's often no food (although a transcon like SFO-PHL will have some during meal hours) but the seats are comfortable and the crew is generally great in my experience.

The US customer experience is steadily improving if you ask me. I have had something like 14 US segments in the past 12 months and been very satisfied... especially during an irrops / cancel a few months ago when US bent over backwards to help me get on my way in a manner CO or UA never would.

I am booking more US than UA these days owing to the chaos at the latter.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Do you get free wifi in US first class or do you still have to pay for it?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I am looking to use MP miles for 2 roundtrip tickets in 1st class between SFO and PHL..would it really be worth it to spend double the miles just to get on UA?
It's domestic first class, so of course not. It's arguable as to whether it's worth paying up from coach to first, frankly - the seats are more comfortable, but it's a relatively short flight and the food in domestic F isn't worth $10.

Book the US flight, keep the 100K miles for a C fare to Europe (worth at least $3K).

Originally Posted by lensman
Wifi? What's that?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 18, 2012 at 10:06 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by lensman
As far as I know, you have to pay for it as there's no way for it to distinguish whether you're in F or Y, and US doesn't hand out cards to my knowledge.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
US has significantly improved its F product in the past year. Considering the current state of affairs at UA, how could US possibly be worse? Take the US flight, save your miles and enjoy the wifi.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
As far as I know, you have to pay for it as there's no way for it to distinguish whether you're in F or Y, and US doesn't hand out cards to my knowledge.
WiFi is not free in F, it is also only available on A321's so check the equipment. The food and beverage has had a major upgrade for the last two years; better food and wine. Also they moved to real plates and glassware. Having said that all of legacy's F is about the same. Save the miles fly who's cheapest.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Despite my underwhelming experiences with US F I would never spend double miles to fly UA F. The products are similar enough that you should just book the cheaper one.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
For a long haul flight like SFO-PHL, you will be fine going with US. They have upgraded their meals in domestic F, so the food will be on par with or slightly better than UA.
I find service usually quite good on US in F and for some reason (just the culture I think) they always seem much more generous with the booze than UA.

True, no in flight entertainment, but if you are flying in an A321, there will be internet available, plus pillows and blankets!

As others have pointed out, the only area where US really falls short is their stingy criteria for which flights qualify for meal service (more than 3.5 hours).
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
WiFi is not free in F, it is also only available on A321's so check the equipment. The food and beverage has had a major upgrade for the last two years; better food and wine. Also they moved to real plates and glassware. Having said that all of legacy's F is about the same. Save the miles fly who's cheapest.
Right, I've been flying US for awhile, but most of my flights aren't on the A321 though ... usually get 319s or 320s on BWI-PHX. I also have yet to experience the newer F meal service since I haven't hit an upgrade on a longer haul yet. Short haul F has always given me a plastic cup though.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I have only flown US F on short flights DCA-BOS, PHL-BOS, and BOS-CLT. The FA's were nice, and I prefer their snack basket options to UA, but a transcon w/o IFE, or chanel 9; ugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.