Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

15-March: UA943 CDG-ORD diverts to LHR-lands heavy with no fuel dump

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15-March: UA943 CDG-ORD diverts to LHR-lands heavy with no fuel dump

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:21 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Exclamation 15-March: UA943 CDG-ORD diverts to LHR-lands heavy with no fuel dump

Friend and fellow F/t'er just called me during taxi to the gate and said they landed heavy without dumping fuel due to a "problem with the wing". She's not too "airplane inclined" so wondering if any of you might be able to find any info.

Looks like "Beware the Ides of March" holds true and needless to say, there goes her conx at ORD today and me picking her up at SFO at 20:30 tonight
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Friend just called....

943 CDG-(LHR)-ORD is now cancelled and said it is a mess of unhappy campers, DYKWIA's and screaming kids plus the UA folks not sure how to handle this with SCARES SHARES. Per one agent, if this was "the old system", we'd be halfway thru the re-accommodating" by now.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by goalie
Friend just called....

943 CDG-(LHR)-ORD is now cancelled and said it is a mess of unhappy campers, DYKWIA's and screaming kids plus the UA folks not sure how to handle this with SCARES. Per one agent, if this was "the old system", we'd be halfway thru the re-accommodating" by now.
Because LHR was a UA only station and there definitely aren't any CO agents there

LHR I don't think is the worst airport to be stranded at in a case like this because of the large amounts of UA flights or partner airlines that they can book on. UA does fly a 747 from LHR to SFO so perhaps your friends could get booked on that one?

Looks like todays flight has already left, so they would overnight in LHR. Lots of seats on the LHR-SFO flight tomorrow. Only UA flight out of LHR tonight that I can think of is the late LHR-EWR which shows as delayed.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wcalvert
Because LHR was a UA only station and there definitely aren't any CO agents there

LHR I don't think is the worst airport to be stranded at in a case like this because of the large amounts of UA flights or partner airlines that they can book on. UA does fly a 747 from LHR to SFO so perhaps your friends could get booked on that one?

Looks like todays flight has already left, so they would overnight in LHR. Lots of seats on the LHR-SFO flight tomorrow. Only UA flight out of LHR tonight that I can think of is the late LHR-EWR which shows as delayed.
Bolding mine: I agree but the problem my friend told me is that today's flights have already either departed as you noted plus tomorrow's flights are full (and I did mention the n/s LHR-SFO). UA is also looking at other carriers (also pretty full) but one option for her (my friend) is perhaps BA to JFK and then JFK to SFO
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...tomorrow's flights are full...
As noted above, UA931 LHR-SFO looks pretty wide open...all fare buckets showing 9s.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:27 am

Bolding mine: I agree but the problem my friend told me is that today's flights have already either departed as you noted plus tomorrow's flights are full (and I did mention the n/s LHR-SFO). UA is also looking at other carriers (also pretty full) but one option for her (my friend) is perhaps BA to JFK and then JFK to SFO
There are a million seats open on the seat map for the LHR-SFO UA flight tomorrow. I even see 3 seats together in one part. Should be no problem getting on it.

If they are willing to book on BA, then there is a LHR-SFO non-stop that leaves in a few hours. It's a weird flight time, so it may be a charter, cargo or something.

BAW Flight 285
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

There are a million seats open on the seat map for the LHR-SFO UA flight tomorrow. I even see 3 seats together in one part. Should be no problem getting on it.

If they are willing to book on BA, then there is a LHR-SFO non-stop that leaves in a few hours. It's a weird flight time, so it may be a charter, cargo or something.

BAW Flight 285
Update: She just called from the hotel....

She is on the LHR-SFO non-stop (UA931) and she gave me her PNR to see if she had a seat and she did not but where she was re-booked in C (full C that is ), I was able to grab her 8H as it was either that or 10 window as they were the only seats open. UA also kept her checked luggage and will put it on her new flight so that's also one less thing for her to worry about

Now as to what happened, according to what she was told (and remember, she's not too airplane savvy), there was a "rivet problem" on the wing.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Update: She just called from the hotel....

She is on the LHR-SFO non-stop (UA931) and she gave me her PNR to see if she had a seat and she did not but where she was re-booked in C (full C that is ), I was able to grab her 8H as it was either that or 10 window as they were the only seats open. UA also kept her checked luggage and will put it on her new flight so that's also one less thing for her to worry about

Now as to what happened, according to what she was told (and remember, she's not too airplane savvy), there was a "rivet problem" on the wing.
Nice... use a GPU and upgrade her to F (or a least try... no upgrade space available right now).

Was she confirmed in business on her original flight?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Nice... use a GPU and upgrade her to F (or a least try... no upgrade space available right now).

Yes, she was confirmed in C CDG-ORD/ORD-SFO using her GPU
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Yes, she was confirmed in C CDG-ORD/ORD-SFO using her GPU
She might get it back...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
However, the CO agents are in terminal 4, while UA is in T1. If CO's agents are busy trying to send their own flights out on time, they might not be able to spare any agents to assist the UA agents with rebooking.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR

Don't think you can do this anymore since you have to request GPUs at least 24 hours prior to departure...

(Which makes complete sense that the world's largest airline can't enable same-day upgrades)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.