Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Computer problem cancels lots of United flights (SFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ula&id=8581600

Emphasis and bolding mine on this story.

SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KGO) -- When it rains, flights are delayed -- and that's usually the case at San Francisco International Airport. However, this time, United's flight troubles were unrelated to the stormy weather.

The only thing more frightful than the weather outside is the departure board inside the United terminal at SFO. There were rows and rows of delays and cancellations. Passengers say they've waited on the phone for two or four hours listening to their elevator music. Another passenger said if you call United a recording says the operators are too busy to help you and it hangs up on you.

The line at the ticket counter isn't much better.

"We were told it was because of weather, but then one of the United agents just walked by and said it's because we switched to the Continental system," said Karen Day, a traveler. --

**SNIP**

United admits there is a problem, and it is caused by their switchover to Continental's online booking system. But a spokesman told ABC7 everyone's reservations and miles are intact, they're just displaying wrong on the website. That's led to confusion, hence the long hold times.

United says it's beefed up airport staffing and hired 600 new telephone agents to deal with the onslaught.

"The 600 they say they brought in still aren't enough considering the problems," said travel attorney Al Anolik.

Anolik says his phone is ringing off the hook with disgruntled travelers. The irony, he says, is the glitch is most likely to affect people with multiple itineraries who redeem lots of miles -- in other words -- United's most loyal customers. He's not entirely surprised.

"They didn't care about consumer complaints before, they really don't care about them now, and as they get bigger, they're going to care about them less," said Anolik.

United is asking customers for their patience and says they will be better soon.

"Well, they could be a little more sorry," said Rogers.

Last edited by demkr; Mar 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Channel 9 was on upon boarding my SFO-DEN this afternoon. ^ SFO Ground kept what sounded like many UA flights on gate hold due to crew already knowing that they wouldn't have weight numbers from company in a timely manner. That, of course, had a cascading effect on other flights. Ours was fortunately just a tad late due to late arriving inbound equipment.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
I'm sure it was a combination of both the weather and the new system crashing because of the irrops.

Glad I didn't go check in in person for my intl flight tonight as was suggested. The weather was awful and the bridge looked bad.

I'm probably screwed tomorrow either way.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
is UA giving out customer $250 off certs?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They are getting hammered on Facebook about the crappy service today (probably since the merger).

There were some people on the train this morning saying their company has removed United from the list of approved carriers until they get stuff settled down, the guy was really pissed as he has no status on who ever he had to fly.

It's sad when people who want to fly them can't because of their issues.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Channel 9 was on upon boarding my SFO-DEN this afternoon. ^ SFO Ground kept what sounded like many UA flights on gate hold due to crew already knowing that they wouldn't have weight numbers from company in a timely manner. That, of course, had a cascading effect on other flights. Ours was fortunately just a tad late due to late arriving inbound equipment.
Doesn't UNIMATIC do weight and numbers (or is it only for flight planning), which was a PMUA system?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Can we please go back to FastAir now and stop this SHARES silliness? Was the additional cost of FastAir really worth all of this nonsense?

The progress, though, is that United is finally admitting that there are problems. It was downright insulting to see them screaming "UNITED.COM INTEGRATION COMPLETE" and $misek patting himself on the back for a "successful" transition, when here in the real world, we're seeing escalating issues.

I really hope this experience at SFO today is a wake up call to the management to start listening to its loyal customers
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Luckily my two United flights today didn't touch SFO and both were *early*. Service was normal.

-RM
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by demkr
United admits there is a problem, and it is caused by their switchover to Continental's online booking system. But a spokesman told ABC7 everyone's reservations and miles are intact, they're just displaying wrong on the website. That's led to confusion, hence the long hold times.
Wow. Simply unbelievable.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mlx52
Doesn't UNIMATIC do weight and numbers (or is it only for flight planning), which was a PMUA system?
That's what I thought, too. But any system could hypothetically go on the fritz, right? This could be integration-unrelated, right? (Ha!) Maybe one of our metal-driving experts knows.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow. Simply unbelievable.
If you only knew ..... I'm really eAAting a crow sAAndwich here.

I've been on more than one flight this week where they were "still loading bags due to the new reservations system"
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by cordelli
They are getting hammered on Facebook about the crappy service today (probably since the merger).

There were some people on the train this morning saying their company has removed United from the list of approved carriers until they get stuff settled down, the guy was really pissed as he has no status on who ever he had to fly.

It's sad when people who want to fly them can't because of their issues.
Just got into SFO and this place is a zoo!! Saw this thread and now I know....walking through to get to my INTL connection as I am flying to HKG on CX tonight....I remember getting told that I was paranoid for implementing a UA embargo until...today....I guess I should have extended that to the end of March..

BTW...PM me if you want into the new CX lounge here at SFO for a J&T or screwdriver or whatever your fav bev is....and help me fill my bracket out before the am...

Last edited by goingbananas; Mar 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mlx52
Correct.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I flew SFO<->LAS last weekend and the outbound (UA1281) was a minor disaster with a good 40-50 people at the gate needing some sort of service, mostly of the you-have-a-reservation-but-no-seat variety. Most of them seemed to be Kettles or other non-status pax.

The innbound flight itself was late by about 45 mins and it took about another 35 on the ground before we started to board. Overall, we were about 70-90 minutes late getting to V1.

The return ,by comparison , was markedly different. There was a plane at the gate for starters, boarding was as smooth as a shuttle flight gets and we pulled into SFO about 20 mins ahead of schedule.

I was upgraded on both legs, clearing on Wednesday and Saturday respectively.

I'm doing the same trip this weekend so I will let you know how that all goes.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
This is
The sky isn't falling here in the Bay Area its just devoid of a lot of UA aircraft. Hopefully this gets cleared up soon (for selfish reasons since I'm booked to fly UA out of SFO this weekend). Not a big deal to UA though. Maybe if they lose the captive hub of SFO and a lot of the pax the system won't be so overloaded

Last edited by Beerman92; Mar 15, 2012 at 2:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.