FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

MarkedMan Apr 6, 2012 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 18346101)
What's been stated previously is that buy-ups are offered at all times, to buy up to the upgradable bucket or directly into the next cabin (YBM-ups), and that in cases where the upgrade waitlist (for revenue customers) is shorter than the number of F seats available, then cheaper buy-ups will kick in.

In your case, there is no published K fare for the EWR-SEA market standalone, but the difference between the lowest fare and the M, one-way, is just short of $400 - so in your case, this is an appropriate buy-up amount.

Indeed, if someone is willing to pay an extra 400 bucks for the F seat, I can't begrudge UA selling it to them - it's a totally straight refaring transaction. More of this is what we want to see.

Beerman92 Apr 6, 2012 11:00 am

Originally Posted by unhappyflyer (Post 18342406)
Im assuming this a TOD upgrade. 1K SFO-ORD on Q fare. Check three days out, RN=0, Buy up to first $804. Same two days out. Now within T-24, RN=2 and upgrade offered at $219. If buy up to first yesterday was $804, where is $219 comning from ?

The difference between published Q and M on that route is $300. Was this purchased through a corporate travel program? If so the $219 might be the difference between the Q and the M.

pagotto Apr 6, 2012 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Beerman92 (Post 18346725)
The difference between published Q and M on that route is $300. Was this purchased through a corporate travel program? If so the $219 might be the difference between the Q and the M.

4/7/2012
UA249 SFO-PHL
1K on a T fare

Previously, I was offered an upgrade in the $900 range. Still waitlisted, R0, with 12 booked (+10 blocked?) and was just offered a TOD for $189.

Sykes Apr 6, 2012 1:23 pm

I just wanted to drop a quick note to thank you guys for keeping on topic and providing the in-depth information. There is certainly an interesting mix of TODs, legitimate buy-ups, and other things posted here, and I hope that we can continue to accumulate and learn from what is posted here without the noise making it difficult to find the actual data.

TWAB747nomore Apr 7, 2012 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 18345898)
4/7/12 (Saturday)
EWR-SEA
K Fare
$409

For the past week, .bomb has offered me the chance to upgrade for $700~. This morning, I did OLCI through the iPhone app, and was offered the upgrade to F for $409. I'm #2 on the list, so I'm hopeful that UDU will clear.

I thought these are only supposed to be offered if all elites are expected to clear? :confused:

http://friendlyskies.smugmug.com/pho...-NWtkrTZ-L.jpg

Awesome to see that there are 16 people on the upgrade list, but COdbaUA would rather sell the upgrade. I'm flying with two others (1K & 2P), and they got the same offers. I'd be curious to see what a GM is being offered.

did it clear?

kiam Apr 9, 2012 12:01 am

UA1144 IAH-YYC 04-09-12 U fare
CIOL, offered $129 upgrade to First
One seat left in F
Definitely 0 chance CPU (Platinum)
Still thinking if I should buy up.

Beerman92 Apr 9, 2012 12:13 am

Originally Posted by kiam (Post 18358134)
UA1144 IAH-YYC 04-09-12 U fare
CIOL, offered $129 upgrade to First
One seat left in F
Definitely 0 chance CPU (Platinum)
Still thinking if I should buy up.

This one seems like a bit of a tweener. The difference between U and M on this route is $97. So if you were a 1K this would be actually overpaying to get the -up fare. The difference to B is $235 one way so it looks like you are getting offered a little less than half off the B up difference as a Platinum.

kiam Apr 9, 2012 7:03 am

I checked in, found out flight was overbooked by 4 and was told by the agent there was one last seat left in F, while standing in the security line, I decided to buy the upgrade from my iPhone, I still have my boarding pass for a confirmed economy seat), but after the purchase was confirmed, I could no longer choose that last F seat. Went to the club, they couldn't assign me a seat either saying I'm on the oversell list for First. Was this supposed to happen?

I plan to volunteer anyway but now that I don't have a confirmed F seat, can I still volunteer?

---------------------------------

Update post flight:
The last F pax somehow didn't show up so i couldn't volunteer to be bumped down to coach as originally asked by the gate agent. And all of the sudden, coach was no longer overbooked. Breakfast was good at least and a 3-hr sleep was nice, whether that was worth $128, not so sure.

rwmiller56 Apr 9, 2012 7:45 am

3/25/12 SFO-->BOS UA248
3/28/12 BOS-->SFO UA503

Premier Gold
Fare Class M
U/G to F
Offer was made online several days before flight.
$283 for the entire RT
Accepted.

iahkid2014 Apr 9, 2012 3:14 pm

4/8 UA33 IAH-MSY
GM Traveling with me on a T fare offered $49
I cleared at T-24

Kwidhalm Apr 9, 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore (Post 18353840)
did it clear?

It did not. I was the 2P flying with him. :) Although, now I am a 1P.

chris1234 Apr 10, 2012 4:02 am

UA1673 EWR->BOS 4/11 2:30pm
being offered TOD buy-up for $79 at online&mobile checkin

I'm on a W ticket, this is the 2nd leg after LHR->EWR, which I upgraded using a GPU and so I was waitlisted for the EWR->BOS flight until I guess check-in opened.

rittenhousesq Apr 10, 2012 10:48 am

4/7: TPE-NRT in E+ on a K fare was offered an upgrade to First for $454.00. The plane was a new configured 777. According to the seat map, C was full and one empty seat in F.
Of course I didn't take the upgrade, especially for such a short flight.

PHL Apr 10, 2012 2:52 pm

4/10
MCO-EWR
PMCO 757-200 with BF seating

Offered $459 kiosk upgrade. EF showed F3 left to sell.

No thanks.

eyevision Apr 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by kiam (Post 18359102)
I checked in, found out flight was overbooked by 4 and was told by the agent there was one last seat left in F, while standing in the security line, I decided to buy the upgrade from my iPhone, I still have my boarding pass for a confirmed economy seat), but after the purchase was confirmed, I could no longer choose that last F seat. Went to the club, they couldn't assign me a seat either saying I'm on the oversell list for First. Was this supposed to happen?

I plan to volunteer anyway but now that I don't have a confirmed F seat, can I still volunteer?

---------------------------------

Update post flight:
The last F pax somehow didn't show up so i couldn't volunteer to be bumped down to coach as originally asked by the gate agent. And all of the sudden, coach was no longer overbooked. Breakfast was good at least and a 3-hr sleep was nice, whether that was worth $128, not so sure.

No, it wasn't. You got lucky. Or rather, they gambled with the TOD and it paid off.

I'm sorry, but this scenario is TOTAL crap. TODs are insulting enough, but to solicit a TOD for an OVERSOLD cabin is inexcusable.