Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did United move to CO SHARES?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:08 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
#1 reason they switched from Fastair to Shares

Becuase I already was using the FT screen name of "fastair" and no one wanted to use the handle of "Shares", so it is still open for UA to use. They couldn't afford the price I was asking to give up my name so that UA could use it. In retrospect, I should have let them have it for free.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

I just assumed it was because Smíšek had a vague idea that "shares" had something to do with making money.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag

I just assumed it was because Smíšek ....
Is he Croatian or somethin?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by fastair
Becuase I already was using the FT screen name of "fastair" and no one wanted to use the handle of "Shares", so it is still open for UA to use. They couldn't afford the price I was asking to give up my name so that UA could use it. In retrospect, I should have let them have it for free.
Haha!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Is he Croatian or somethin?
I understand that it is a Czech (or Slovak) word meaning "cackler, giggler, laugher".

Go figure....
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:33 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
^^^ Domain sitting are we?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
LOL.

The irony is that it took me YEARS to learn the origin of your handle. Fastair simply worked, so there was no need to have thread after thread of discussion of it.

Soon, however, even Kettles will know what SHARES is!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:00 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 1P
Actually, no, it didn't. It would list many of the lowest price options, but only the ones it wanted to list — often combinations with absurdly long layovers (as much as 11 hours). That was the infuriating thing about it. You knew that there were other options out there, but you could only find them on a schedule+price search.
Originally Posted by hobo13
I have seriously no idea what you are talking about.
I lost track of this thread and never responded.

I take it you never had the experience of looking for SWU-upgradeable fares on the old website. The only way to do this was by price, not schedule, since searching by schedule would invariably give you an itinerary with a booking class ineligible for the upgrade.

Searching by fare would give you the fare classes you wanted, but with ridiculous itineraries, such as arriving at ORD at, say, 10:30am and connecting on to a flight leaving at 9:30pm. Very frustrating if you already knew (from searching by schedule) that there were connecting flights at, say, 11:55am, 2:30pm, 4:17pm and 6:20pm with available qualifying fares — but not as a pair. Happened to me a gazillion times.

It was better to get on the phone to an agent than going through all that stuff.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by camelontherun
Does anyone know what the business reason was to move all United IT backend to the CO system given its antiquity which has resulted in... problems?
Not sure if this article was already referenced elsewhere on the board, but it gives some insight into the decision-making... from Halbert, no less:

Originally Posted by WSJ
One of the CIO’s main jobs is getting a handle on myriad IT systems that are in play in a complex organization, such as an airline. Halbert’s major tech decisions at United, leading up to the merger, were made across a few broad portfolios: customer, revenue management (which prices tickets), and airline operations.

Six months before the merger was signed, Halbert led a “discovery team” which came up with a rough idea of which systems would be the best to keep from each company. Continental’s customer-facing systems were considered the better of the two, because they allowed flyers to make reservations and pick seat assignments on mobile devices.

“We were two years into our modernization program and they were 10 years in,” Halbert said.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:25 pm

Anyone have any update on FastSHARES?

They probably have been working on fixing up SHARES and i'm afraid that development on FastSHARES is way behind schedule.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by edcho
Anyone have any update on FastSHARES?

They probably have been working on fixing up SHARES and i'm afraid that development on FastSHARES is way behind schedule.
GUI development is, at most companies, done with a different group of engineers than mainframes, so I'm not sure it's any further behind because of integration issues.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:55 pm

Sitting at IAD - just heard page for "SHARES Assist" to gate C20

This gets more pathetic every day......
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down C'mon It's Only Been Six Weeks

Had to chuckle...as you said, it's pathetic.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Member

I'm sure there was never a need to contact someone to help them with the former system as well... just it was usually by phone.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Was at the RCC, err United Club at SFO the other day. Noticed on andriod app that we were upgraded. Went to one of 4 Club agents (not the admitance ones) and asked to have our new bp's printed. 5 minutes later and alot of typing said the gate can only do it and she said it was a SHARES problem. Poor lady had a huge Costco size bottle of Motrin on her desk. Pathetic is the word all right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.