Wiki Posts
Search

Benefits transfer to an award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Benefits transfer to an award ticket

When CO was alive, if I would reserve an award trip for somebody with my miles, my Plat benefits would "transfer" to the ticket; we kept hearing it was a glitch but nobody was rushing to fix it.

Since we are using the CO system anyway, is this still the case?

Does anybody have first hand knowledge or experience?

Thank you in advance
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The "glitch" still exists.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, they're still doing this systemwide, to the detriment of elites actually flying.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by mduell
Yes, they're still doing this systemwide, to the detriment of elites actually flying.
Well, I think this is probably on the margins in terms of numbers. I would be surprised if there were just that many flights flown by unaccompanied elites. They're on award tickets, so they're not interfering with upgrades.

I personally quite like this benefit. Kind of nice to be able to get nice seats for those you're sponsoring with your miles. I couldn't get E+ for my parents flying with me to Europe last year since I used miles for them which gave us separate confirmation #'s.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
I'm curious as to what detriment this causes?

I frequently use my award miles to bring my Mother-In-Law from the east coast to here for visits. The best part is that since she inherits my status, she does not have to pay for bag(s). Award tickets are not upgradable, so she's not going to take a F Seat away. As she's elderly and walks with a cane, she already gets to board first, even ahead of GS and since she does not carry on excess luggage, its not even an overhead space issue.

Cheers,
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by drowelf
I'm curious as to what detriment this causes?

I frequently use my award miles to bring my Mother-In-Law from the east coast to here for visits. The best part is that since she inherits my status, she does not have to pay for bag(s). Award tickets are not upgradable, so she's not going to take a F Seat away. As she's elderly and walks with a cane, she already gets to board first, even ahead of GS and since she does not carry on excess luggage, its not even an overhead space issue.

Cheers,
The theoretical detriment is from high-level elites (e.g. GS) using their miles or RPU/GPU to sponsor someone else (say, general member) for an upgrade (vs award). The someone else inherits the sponsor's upgrade priority in the queue, pushing down those elites with status lower than the *sponsor*.

With outright award seats, there's not much of an issue, unless boarding time really excites people.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
This thread started with the words "Award Ticket" the original post makes no reference to using miles to upgrade a revenue ticket. So thats why I was wondering why the poster said someone with an award ticket inheriting status was a detriment to elites. As stated since award tickets are not upgradable, I see no harm here, other than a small loss of revenue (bag charge) to United.

OTOH, Has it been confirmed that if I use my Regional, System or even miles to try and update a revenue ticket, for someone else, that gets priority based on my status?

Now that I would really like to know.

Looks like my question is getting more discussion over in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ying-solo.html

Cheers,

Last edited by drowelf; Mar 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm Reason: Add Link
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Redeeming UA miles for someone else - do benefits carry?

Hi there,

I am a Premier 1K and I've used my miles to redeem two international travel tickets for my parents.

I will not be traveling with them. I was wondering if my benefits (namely baggage limits) carry over to them, or if they are considered non-Premier members?

I've also reserved seats for them that are in the Economy Plus section (due to my 1K status) -- will those seats get reassigned if they find out that they don't have status?

I've gotten different answers depending on who I speak with, so I was hoping that someone here would know or have first hand experience.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Lore
Hi there,

I am a Premier 1K and I've used my miles to redeem two international travel tickets for my parents.

I will not be traveling with them. I was wondering if my benefits (namely baggage limits) carry over to them, or if they are considered non-Premier members?

I've also reserved seats for them that are in the Economy Plus section (due to my 1K status) -- will those seats get reassigned if they find out that they don't have status?

I've gotten different answers depending on who I speak with, so I was hoping that someone here would know or have first hand experience.

Thanks!
Yes.. they will get your 1K baggage allowance and free E+. This is new for us UA flyers.. pre merger this didn't happen, but it does now. If there are any domestic segments on the itinerary and if you have one of the eligible Chase cards then they will also be on the CPU list for those domestic flights. And, they can use the United Club by showing their boarding passes even if they're in economy. This may not work at partner lounges..but it'll work at UA lounges.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Yes.. they will get your 1K baggage allowance and free E+. This is new for us UA flyers.. pre merger this didn't happen, but it does now. If there are any domestic segments on the itinerary and if you have one of the eligible Chase cards then they will also be on the CPU list for those domestic flights. And, they can use the United Club by showing their boarding passes even if they're in economy. This may not work at partner lounges..but it'll work at UA lounges.
Hi! Thanks for your answer.

Do you know this from experience or from some policy that they've posted? I was on the phone for 30 minutes last week while the representative tried to find the policy, to no avail. While I was waiting on the phone, I also shot out an email to 1KVoice and this is the response I got:

Dear Mr. Lore,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Please excuse the delay in
my response.

I'm happy to hear that you have booked award travel for your parents.
Regrettably, the free checked baggage allowance would only apply if you
were traveling with your parents. If you have any other questions,
please feel free to contact our 1K, 1Call Reservations Desk at
1-800-756-1000 or you may contact our Web Support Team at
1-800-396-1751. Agents are available to assist you 24 hours a day and 7
days a week.

Mr. Lore, as a 1K member of our Mileage Plus program your business is
especially important to us and given the opportunity of serving you and
your family in the future, I am confident United will not only meet but
exceed your expectations.

Regards,

Mary Beth Whiting
Customer Care Manager
Doesn't sound promising... Can they actually get a CPU even with mileage-booked tickets? I thought you could not upgrade a mileage ticket?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
No official UDU/CPU upgrades from award tickets, though I have gotten op-ups on award tickets even when coach isn't full.

The status thing isn't an official policy, it's just the way that the old CO system worked, which has carried over to UA. To my knowledge, CO Onepass award tickets always carried the elite status of the redeeming account, not the flyer's account.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Hi! Thanks for your answer.

Do you know this from experience or from some policy that they've posted?

Can they actually get a CPU even with mileage-booked tickets? I thought you could not upgrade a mileage ticket?
I do have experience.. in fact with international economy tix for friends to travel tomorrow using my miles. You can verify the baggage question yourself. Pull up their reservation online and click on the link at the top for "View Baggage Service Charges". It will show that they have your 1K baggage limits..as my friends' do for their flight tomorrow. Don't change the frequent flyer number on their record to theirs..leave yours in there otherwise they won't get your benefits.

Domestic award tickets can be upgraded by CPU if you have one of the eligible Chase cards with this benefit.. the Club card or the Explorer. If you don't have one of these cards then they're not eligible. You can't use GPU's or RPU's.. only CPU.

Strangely, one of my friends was upgraded on her award ticket for IAH-CDG tomorrow.. I got a CPU email and she's confirmed in businessfirst. I have no explanation for it...shouldn't have happened because it's international, but it did. I do have a Chase Club card.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Aug 9, 2012 at 10:50 am
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The updated FAQ cannot happen quickly enough.

This is probably the biggest question we see over and over again here, and for some reason, newbies don't like search.

The answer is yes, but we really should be linking to the other threads.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I do have experience.. in fact with international economy tix for friends to travel tomorrow using my miles. You can verify the baggage question yourself. Pull up their reservation online and click on the link at the top for "View Baggage Service Charges". It will show that they have your 1K baggage limits..as my friends' do for their flight tomorrow. Don't change the frequent flyer number on their record to theirs..leave yours in there otherwise they won't get your benefits.

Strangely, one of my friends was upgrade on her award ticket for IAH-CDG tomorrow.. I got a CPU email and she's confirmed in businessfirst. I have no explanation for it...shouldn't have happened because it's international, but it did. I do have a Chase Club card.
I have a Chase card but it's the Select card I think. I don't use it that much so I can't remember what it is, but I did pay their taxes with it

Great news about your friend's upgrade! And thanks for the tip about the Show Baggage Charges - It does indeed show no fees. I'll print it to PDF and send it to them so they can print it out. The terrible thing is that even 1K Voice is telling people that the baggage benefits don't carry over...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have a Chase card but it's the Select card I think. I don't use it that much so I can't remember what it is, but I did pay their taxes with it

Great news about your friend's upgrade! And thanks for the tip about the Show Baggage Charges - It does indeed show no fees. I'll print it to PDF and send it to them so they can print it out. The terrible thing is that even 1K Voice is telling people that the baggage benefits don't carry over...
No need to print it out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.