Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United mobile app changes/questions/issues post 3 March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United mobile app changes/questions/issues post 3 March

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Hm tried that, no dice. Shows me as check in; if I hit "reprint boarding docs" it still offers only email or fax.

Not a huge deal but it's convenient to have them loaded in the app vs digging around for the email and loading PDFs.
Didn't work for me in PVG.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:49 pm

Soduku on UA phone App?

This is pretty intolerable. AA gets a Soduku app on their iPhone app.

Why don't we?

Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM
Ah but we do!

Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Welcome to FT 2fat4coach. Love your handle. Absolutely best wishes on getting UGs....
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The path on the android version is:
More => Games

iPhone should be the same... except that the UA one shouldn't crash.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by WIRunner
...except that the UA one shouldn't crash.
Shouldn't being the operative word...

I had a lot of issues with earlier iterations...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hilton Gold
First Time User of United Mobile Phone App

Although I'm too old for this, I decided to start using the United mobile phone app. on a flight Wednesday. Questions: I see where you can check in and get your boarding pass with the app, then when checking a bag, do you just flash the boarding pass on the phone; does it show on the phone that you have premier boarding access; how about to the TSA people, do you just flash the pass on the phone to them too; are there any tips anyone has on making things work out painlessly? Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rljaco
Although I'm too old for this, I decided to start using the United mobile phone app. on a flight Wednesday. Questions: I see where you can check in and get your boarding pass with the app, then when checking a bag, do you just flash the boarding pass on the phone; does it show on the phone that you have premier boarding access; how about to the TSA people, do you just flash the pass on the phone to them too; are there any tips anyone has on making things work out painlessly? Thanks!
Mobile boarding passes are issued only for airports that have the equipment to read such. Some outlying airports (such as my home) do not have such equipment.

The kiosk at the ticket counter will scan the bar code on the mobile boarding pass. Yes, it shows you are premier access.

At the TSA checkpoint, you will also scan the mobile boarding pass.

I would not say any of this is painless. If the scanner does not operate correctly, you will be sent back to the ticket counter to retrieve a paper boarding pass.

AND, Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
First Time User of United Mobile Phone App

I often check in online or on the app, but I always get a printed boarding pass at the check in machines. No risk for machine problems; no delays in case phone freezes; no disputes when you have issues with seat assignment errors or the like. I know it somewhat defeats the purpose of online check-in, but I'm looking for the lowest risk solutions when flying!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IME, I have never ever had a problem using a mobile BP. The only thing is if the scanner hasn't been used in a few minutes at the TSA, it goes to sleep - much like your computer, and takes a few seconds to start up to be able to read. This was a bigger problem when they first came out now, with the amount of people using them, and with more places scanning paper BPs anyway, its not much of an issue.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by hermiehug
I often check in online or on the app, but I always get a printed boarding pass at the check in machines. No risk for machine problems; no delays in case phone freezes; no disputes when you have issues with seat assignment errors or the like. I know it somewhat defeats the purpose of online check-in, but I'm looking for the lowest risk solutions when flying!
Exactly right ^ plus if there is a scanner and/or phone failure and you have to get your BP reprinted and you happen to be within the cutoff for checking in, you're SoL as you'll need to see an agent to get it reprinted all while the boarding clock is running
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I haven't had any issues with using the mobile boarding passes on DL and UA for the better part of 2 years. I'd say I much prefer United's mobile check-in because you can do SDC if you want from the app as well.

If there aren't scanners at the gate, they'll just read the sequence number off the screen. Even tiny airports have the scanner at the TSA checkpoint now.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by transparent
Even tiny airports have the scanner at the TSA checkpoint now.

Your statement could be very misleading. It is best to say that if the mobile app provides a mobile boarding pass for a particular airport, then you can be assured the TSA checkpoint has the capacity to scan it. I can name numerous "tiny" airports without the ability to scan a mobile boarding pass at a TSA checkpoint.

Last edited by controller1; Aug 12, 2012 at 9:13 pm
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Note: this is iOS.

I'd love to know why the United app goes back to the home page after a certain amount of time.

If I'm looking at a flight details page or an upgrade list and minimize the app (don't close it), it *always* goes back to the home screen after I pull the app up again from the task bar if a certain amount of time has passed. I can't quite figure out what that amount of time is but it seems to be around 15 minutes.

It really frustrates me. If I'm on a waitlist and want to refresh the data but it jumps back to the home page then I have to re-enter the data again. WHY? There is NO reason to go back to the home page automatically.

This is the only useful feature of the app and it's useless if it doesn't stay on the screen.

-RM
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Benefits and Hazards Of The PDA App

Booked SEA-DEN and sat at #1 on the upgrade list from 24h through boarding. F booked full, everyone checked in, so I boarded and took my coach seat.

I am a habitual PDA app refresher and kept at it until low and behold, my name showed on the cleared list - I opened the UA app, refreshed my BP and saw the new seat assignment. Boarding was wrapping up, no GA/FA appearance or announcement to move me up, so I gathered my things and moved into my new F seat having taken screen prints of both the list and my new boarding pass.

Just before the door is ready to close, the "owner" of that F seat showed up - keep in mind we're already 15 minutes *past* departure time at this point. The FA took my phone with the bp and the new arrival's bp and gave it to the GA to sort out.

Sure enough, the GA claimed the upgrade was a "mistake", and asked me to return to coach - of course now my original seat was taken by a standby and the FA told me there was a seat open in the back. Ummm no way. I called the GA back from the jetway and agreed to take my original seat but the standby needed to be moved - to his credit, he went back with me (blunting the effect of the "walk of shame") and asked the person to leave my seat and go to the back.

So, while I will not change my practice of referencing the PDA site and acting on the information there (vs waiting for someone to come down the aisle with my new bp, which as many here know, doesn't always happen), I think when someone arrives at the gate 15 minutes past departure, they should really lose their seat and get assigned something from what's left - or denied boarding if there are no open seats remaining. This was not a connection - there was no excuse for getting to the gate that late....they seat should have been taken and assigned if they didn't board within 10 minutes of departure and boarding was complete (and it was).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.