Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United 757 TATL Fuel Stop" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United 757 TATL Fuel Stop" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Before the merger, a 3 Cabin 777 was on this route. After the merger, UA's vast widbody fleet started to be transitioned to CO routes tha had dsperate need for said equipment due to their small fleet of 777s. There absolutely were major problems with the IAD/CDG, both from a corporate account and PR (WSJ expose) standpoint.
The metal goes where the money / demand is. Nothing more to it than that.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:32 pm

There absolutely were major problems with the IAD/CDG, both from a corporate account and PR (WSJ expose) standpoint.
Expand on this?

Originally Posted by trflyer
Thanks for the answers. I never heard of such a thing before. It sounds like something from the 1950s or an airline that has reverted service level to that time period.
It's shocking to me how small CO's planes are and how they use them. They've started pulling 777's and 747's away from SFO and replacing them with 767's (for example, SFO-LHR). I can't imagine flying so long on such a small aircraft. Takes all the joy out of it and makes impossible upgrades even more impossible. CO is the only airline not flying a 777 or 747 between SFO and LHR. I wonder if this is just a step to the CRJ. In a few years, they'll be flying CRJs everywhere (and outsourcing all the flying and maintenance) so a trip to Europe will take 70 hours and require 6 fuel stops and 2 overnights for crew rest. The race to the bottom is so much fun.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by star_world
They didn't. It was a planned fuel stop.

It looks like it is due to strong headwinds over the Atlantic - flights are taking a very northerly track to avoid / mitigate them today, which results in a much longer trip.
To say it was planned is a bit generous if you approach it from the customer perspective. I'm pretty sure none of the pax purchased 2 segment tickets on this flight
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thanks for the answers. I never heard of such a thing before. It sounds like something from the 1950s or an airline that has reverted service level to that time period.
Nope, just a semi-regular occurance as the weather gets colder for those PMCO 757s doing longer westbound TATLs.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
I'm kind of hoping the jet stream keeps up, that way I can see some interesting metal fly through Bangor next week.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
It's shocking to me how small CO's planes are and how they use them. They've started pulling 777's and 747's away from SFO and replacing them with 767's (for example, SFO-LHR). I can't imagine flying so long on such a small aircraft. Takes all the joy out of it and makes impossible upgrades even more impossible. CO is the only airline not flying a 777 or 747 between SFO and LHR. I wonder if this is just a step to the CRJ. In a few years, they'll be flying CRJs everywhere (and outsourcing all the flying and maintenance) so a trip to Europe will take 70 hours and require 6 fuel stops and 2 overnights for crew rest. The race to the bottom is so much fun.
I agree with the sentiment but I would make the following comments re SFO - LHR:
- VS has recently operated A340s on the route.
- UA has only scheduled the 767 for a few weeks between 2x777 going to 1x747.
- In Aug 01 I flew a UA 767 from LHR to SFO as their seasonal fourth daily flight on the route. So the 767 is not new, but its current appearance is just another manifestation of "the incredible shrinking airline" - just as flying a 757 to CDG is much the same. I'd love to see a graph of UA's market share of some of these key routes - without any knowledge, I suspect it's slow but continual decline.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
How can they leave CDG without enough fuel?

It looks like it is due to strong headwinds over the Atlantic - flights are taking a very northerly track to avoid / mitigate them today, which results in a much longer trip.
And a weak plane of course.

Did the 777s that flew CDG-USA require the stop?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And a weak plane of course.

Did the 777s that flew CDG-USA require the stop?
I'm sure they didn't, since this was not related to storms / other bad weather at the destination (which would affect all aircraft equally) but you can easily check that for yourself. The range of the 777-200ER is quite a bit greater than that of the 757-200. That's nothing to do with a "weak" or "strong" plane though - not sure what you're getting at.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:23 pm

Other than assigning an aircraft to a route that it can't always make without a fuel stop, you are correct - there is nothing more to it.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
Other than assigning an aircraft to a route that it can't always make without a fuel stop, you are correct - there is nothing more to it.
Correct - I'm not defending the decision, just explaining it
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
How can they leave CDG without enough fuel?
Its the plane's range, not fuel. IAD-CDG-IAD is a completely inappropriate routing for that aircraft.

Its not a "planned" stop. They scheduled the route as a non-stop, and they sell it as such. Its only planned insomuch as CO and now UA cannot operate the flight safely at times because of the inappropriate equipment.

Welcome to COdbaUA.

Before the merger, a 3 Cabin 777 was on this route. After the merger, UA's vast widbody fleet started to be transitioned to CO routes tha had dsperate need for said equipment due to their small fleet of 777s. There absolutely were major problems with the IAD/CDG, both from a corporate account and PR (WSJ expose) standpoint.
Yep. This is supposed to be one of the first routes to get a 2 cabin 767-300ER, which will have no problem on the route. When that happens, we will see.

I don't quite see that. Having a 3 class 777 on IAH-HNL, for instance, is ridiculous.

I'm sure they didn't, since this was not related to storms / other bad weather at the destination (which would affect all aircraft equally) but you can easily check that for yourself. The range of the 777-200ER is quite a bit greater than that of the 757-200. That's nothing to do with a "weak" or "strong" plane though - not sure what you're getting at.
You assume it was a 772ER on the route. Many of the IAD and even ORD-Europe routes were operated by 772A aircraft.

Correct - I'm not defending the decision, just explaining it
Sure sounded like a defense.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 28, 2012 at 6:43 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1120A
Its the plane's range, not fuel. IAD-CDG-IAD is a completely inappropriate routing for that aircraft.
There is a long, comprehensive thread where the use of the 752 on this route and others are discussed in great detail. This doesn't seem like the best place to re-hash all of the same old arguments. The OP's question has been answered.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:13 pm

Complete nonsense..Overzealous fleet planners running under a mandate to maximize efficiencies no matter how high the risk profile is the actual reality. You seem to enjoy trafficking in the "oversimplified & shallow" brushstroke.

OP should realize the above user has a vendetta against the widebody that was previously used on the CDG-IAD route.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:19 pm

Guess the question, then, is why there is so little demand on UA CDG-IAD. This should not be a thin route.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ericblair
Guess the question, then, is why there is so little demand on UA CDG-IAD. This should not be a thin route.
I flew this route often when it was a 767 and 777, and it was never empty. In fact, of all the European flights out of IAD at pmUA, it was one of the most difficult routes to find upgrade seats at purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.