Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes you will like?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Changes I like:

1) SO gets matching status from MM level.
2) SO gets Global Entry fee waived.
3) SO gets award fees waived.

Changes I don't:

1) The list is long...but distinguished...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
I think that for PMCO flyers there are a lot of benefits- specifically E+

As a PMUA loyalist, the expanded route network... and I guess SDC waiver (not that I use that often).

Outside of that nothing. Also, I am still waiting to see this famed CO service and catering that people rave about. I have yet to experience it myself. It seems about the same, with phone call and email service being 1000 times worse.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:16 pm

As a PMUA flyer, the only positive I have experienced is choice of pre-departure beverage.

As an SFO-based flyer, I don't really care about the expanded route network. Could get everywhere I wanted on one-stop generally before the merger and have very few (if any) additional non-stops.

I suppose at some point I will appreciate the SDC policy.

If I ever fly a PMCO plane, direcTV might be nice but I feel like UA was going to have to add some kind of expanded IFE anyway soon.

Otherwise it's all negatives in my book.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:17 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Is the front to back order confirmed? I just got off the phone with a friend who flew yesterday and said it was definitely by status??
It most certainly isn't. Three times now, I have experienced FAs going front to back on the CD side of the F cabin, and then going back to front on the AB side. My preferred seat is 1B. The result is that I have not had any choice 3/3.

One thing I do like: the ability to see the seatmap of the entire plane when making dummy bookings or changing seats. United Connection had this facility: it's good to see it back.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
A good friend of mine who's a NYC based FA w/ UA told me the same thing. He also told me that he doesn't think it's right that, for example, a Premier Silver in 5A (p.s. flight) would get their first choice over a 1K in 9A. He has been informed of the new directive from management about meals front to back, but is sticking to his guns: he asks everyone for their first and second choice, and then sorts it by status privately in the galley.

Somewhat related, this past weekend I flew with CO crews - they took meal orders using a generic sheet (that appeared to be on a pad full of the same generic sheets) as opposed to the manifest. Apparently sitting in the last row of First equals only getting whatever's left. This is exactly why meal choices should always be prioritized by status.
The FA in F agreed strongly with your friend's sentiments. She stated that she used to do it the same way but she's now been instructed to work front to back after GS and she's going to comply. In 5F! I would have preferred a salad but ended up with a wrap instead
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by tgoddard
You're right to a point, I agree there needs to be consistency, but consistency in the status way of prioritizing meal choices.

If not, if you're like me and often end up buying a last minute ticket at top dollar, you also end up near the back of BC or FC because all the other seats have been preselected. So you pay more for your ticket and have higher status than some once a year traveler in 2B, and they get what they wanted to eat and you get the leftovers.

It costs the airline nothing to prioritize by status, yet when you get on you know there will be consistency and the more loyal you are to the airline, the more loyal they are to you in increasing your chances of getting your first meal selection, like I said before, it's a win win, why on earth would they even consider going back to the old front to back scenario, crazy in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong, I do think the prioritizing based on status is a good system, but management wants the Global Services, then front to back method and that is what the front line employees should be doing. You still keep your best customers happy (Global Services).

When front line employees deviate from the standard that management has set, then you end up with customers who have no clue what to expect. Some 1K will complain "On my last flight, they prioritized by status!" or some paid F passenger will complain "On my last flight, they went front to back!" Inconsistencies hurt your business more than anything. If you consistently nickel and dime pax, they know what to expect and will arrive prepared to deal with it...look at Ryanair, they're not doing too bad...

If I were in charge and I saw that going on, I'd take the employee for a walk, compliment him on trying to serve the customer best, listen to his explanation for why he's not following the standard, and then let him know that despite his reasons, I'm in charge and the GS, Front to Back system is what I want and that is the procedure that I want him to execute...
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Positive only, eh? OK, I'll dig deep:

- MM annual status match benefit for spouse (Wife123 will certainly enjoy the GS security at SFO on weekday mornings)
- route network improvement
- E+ expanding to PMCO
- more award functionality

I'm sure there's more.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
I don't know why I'm bothering providing a sincere and on-topic reply to the OP, but here it goes:
  • sCOs 24 hr SDC policy. This. Is. Huge. And saved me from misconnecting (and spending the night in DEN) last night.
  • Larger fleet network with E+
  • Upgrading some of sCO's Express fleet with F
  • Dismantling of the ICC
  • (somewhat) Edible food in F
  • Pre-departure bevs on sUA
  • Upgrade to sCOs off meal hour meals in F
  • Mobile site / App for sUA
  • Bigger overheads coming to the A320 fleet
  • Dismantling of StarNet (some folks claimed they could manipulate it. Maybe you could, but for me, it was a nuisance).
  • Y/B/M insta-ups on sUA (as someone who buys tickets within 5 days of travel. This. Is. Huge.)
  • The eventual removal of the T-Mo access cards in the legacy RCCs (sounds stupid and trivial, but when I can't get onto a wifi network -- which happens too often with T-Mo -- it neuters the benefit of the club membership for me)
  • Larger integrated route network
  • New UA Club will be behind security in LGA
  • Better beers in the UA Clubs
  • Channel 9 coming to sCO fleet (eventually)
  • Online and proactive presence on FT by UA Insider(s)
  • sUAs companion upgrade policy coming to sCO

Don't get me wrong, the merger hasn't been all puppy dogs and tulips, but as a heavy user of both airlines prior to the merger, to pretend that the world is ending because the coffee sucks is a pretty narrow point of view in my opinion.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The good:
- More financially secure airline means that two airlines which were both circling the drain will survive and provide competetive environment.
- Better worldwide route network which means I can be more effective and make more money.
- Focusing benefits more on BIS spend over miles/segment accumulation for domestic UDU and E+ selection.
- Expansion of E+ to sCO.
- Promised improvement to p.s. premium (2-class w. lie flat)

The bad:
- Really need to beef up and differentiate F from Y product. Stop giving it away for free and charge accordingly. Am willing to pay more but I also expect that F means "First"
- Boarding process and carry-on enforcement are a total mess and worse on the combined company than on either before (and neither were great).
- Seems that IT planning wasn't great. Hopefully that becomes a neutral as time passes.
- Club experience really needs to improve to justify fee.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by belynch
I don't know why I'm bothering providing a sincere and on-topic reply to the OP, but here it goes:
  • sCOs 24 hr SDC policy. This. Is. Huge. And saved me from misconnecting (and spending the night in DEN) last night.
  • Larger fleet network with E+
  • Upgrading some of sCO's Express fleet with F
  • Dismantling of the ICC
  • (somewhat) Edible food in F
  • Pre-departure bevs on sUA
  • Upgrade to sCOs off meal hour meals in F
  • Mobile site / App for sUA
  • Bigger overheads coming to the A320 fleet
  • Dismantling of StarNet (some folks claimed they could manipulate it. Maybe you could, but for me, it was a nuisance).
  • Y/B/M insta-ups on sUA (as someone who buys tickets within 5 days of travel. This. Is. Huge.)
  • The eventual removal of the T-Mo access cards in the legacy RCCs (sounds stupid and trivial, but when I can't get onto a wifi network -- which happens too often with T-Mo -- it neuters the benefit of the club membership for me)
  • Larger integrated route network
  • New UA Club will be behind security in LGA
  • Better beers in the UA Clubs
  • Channel 9 coming to sCO fleet (eventually)
  • Online and proactive presence on FT by UA Insider(s)
  • sUAs companion upgrade policy coming to sCO

Don't get me wrong, the merger hasn't been all puppy dogs and tulips, but as a heavy user of both airlines prior to the merger, to pretend that the world is ending because the coffee sucks is a pretty narrow point of view in my opinion.
The dismantling of the ICC has not been confirmed.

Also, where was it mentioned that LGA is getting a new UC post-security?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - The Y/B/M - UPS coupled with Y/B (M for 1K) UG priority really will be a big help and reward those with the larger spend.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by belynch
[LIST][*]sCOs 24 hr SDC policy. This. Is. Huge. And saved me from misconnecting (and spending the night in DEN) last night.
It allowed me to keep rolling a ticket forward for 14 days....^
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
The dismantling of the ICC has not been confirmed.
I could be wrong, but I thought it was 6+ months ago.
At least 1k CS no longer gets sent to India. That's a win for me.

Also, where was it mentioned that LGA is getting a new UC post-security?
Club agents in LGA. :-:
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
My thinking is....

E+ on Continental fleet
Newer fleet/aircrafts
Potential for improvement on UA's entertainment system
Soon to have, Ch9 on continental fleet
Seat renewal of UA aircrafts (I hope...)
New Premier tier to differentiate 50K to those who fly 75K
CO's catering company (I think?)
More international and domestic destinations
More route options despite reduced frequencies
Online redemption of compensation vouchers
Better search engine of flights (my opinion)
CEO that actually wants to run (not sell) airline
Finally, mobile ap (not game) for United.
Dethroning Delta ranking as the largest airline
Ability to see my upgrade status virtually anywhere
Retirement of older fleet and addition of new aircrafts including the 787

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Mar 8, 2012 at 4:18 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Originally Posted by halls120
The only positive from the merger from my POV is the enhanced network. Everything else has been a , including a downgrade to MP benefits, making 1K just one a crowd of so-called elites, an inefficient boarding process, lousy coffee, selling F to general members at reduced rates, and UDU. Maybe you've enjoyed a better success rate under this scheme, but I haven't.
My sentiments exactly. Wish I had done 2mm on another carrier. I'm pretty stuck with UA because I have put in so many miles with them. Don't want to start over again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.