Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mr.X
Simple question - How do I maximize the chance of getting an free upgrade?

Flying IAH-CUN in T-60days. I only have Premium Silver. Lots of seats available in FC.

Is my only strategy at this point to sit & hope no one pays the currently priced $690/person upgrade fee, and that no one with a higher status books a ticket?
Keep checking back, it's likely to drop as it gets closer in (funny how it never rises). And at T-24, it will likely be even cheaper.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr.X
Simple question - How do I maximize the chance of getting an free upgrade?

Flying IAH-CUN in T-60days. I only have Premium Silver. Lots of seats available in FC.

Is my only strategy at this point to sit & hope no one pays the currently priced $690/person upgrade fee, and that no one with a higher status books a ticket?
You could book a B fare, which as a Silver would be eligible for instant upgrade (and which would get priority over even higher status pax traveling on lower fare classes if it goes to day-of-departure). That's "free" in that you're not paying anything extra for the upgrade, I suppose.

You could get someone who has RPUs (a 1K or Platinum) to sponsor your upgrade.

As far as sitting and hoping, well, keep in mind that that $690/person upgrade fee isn't necessarily the one everyone else is seeing. GMs might be getting a $189 offer.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by weezl
If your CPU clears at least it would make the concept of elite over non-elite still having some edge. But if not, this is about as good as it gets in confirming that the system absolutely prefers non-elites over elites. These clear-cut cases need to be escalated, do let us know what the outcome is. Is this something that UAI can comment on? Is she still around?
My CPU cleared at T-23.5 ^

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't think anyone has any issue about the $700 up-fare - it's the sub-$100 TOD that is the key issue, often a lesser offer to a GM than to an elite, while elites languish on the waitlist.

That's the pennywise, pound foolish mindset many of us criticize.
I agree that if anyone (elite or GM) wants to spend an extra $700 to sit in F on a sUA 757 for 4 hours they can have at it. To me, the issue is that no offer was made to me (the elite) while the GM got an offer despite the fact that we are on the same flights, ticketed in the same fare bucket.

Last edited by RJNYC; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:34 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
SFO-IAD
K class
Offered $1,159 Y->F at booking (no R inventory)
Declined

IAD-TPA
G class
Offered $209 Y->F at booking (no R inventory)
Declined

TPA-IAD
G class
Offered $109 Y->F at booking (no R inventory)
Declined

IAD-SFO
L class
Offered $479 Y->F at booking (no R inventory)
Declined
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
I think what we saw in 2012 was a test of the market to see who would pay for upgrades and at what price point, not a permanent policy change.
I'd love this to be true, but have zero data points to indicate this might be the case. At first Kiosk upgrades were "a mistake" that wasn't supposed to happen until all elite requests had been satisfied. Yet, we continue to hear reports. I do believe they are constantly testing the market to see what price will cause all FC seats to sell. Example: going TPA to IAD on President's Day. FC price (not buy up) $230. About $15 more than lowest price coach. It's mostly government traffic or vacation traffic - and FC doesn't sell on President's Day, so they zeroed in on $15 above coach. Fill it up and they get $15 more per seat than giving it to elites or (god forbid) op-ups to GMs. They'll zero in on the right price for each market and each flight. You don't want to sell a seat for $15 more than coach, and miss out on a $69 upgrade or even worse a $1500 full fare purchased.

PRASM seems to indicate that it is more difficult (and potentially costly) to attract new customers when you drive off elites.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
LAX-ORD, flight 472, 757-200, 905am

I was number 2 on upgrade wait list day before at check in and until I went to bed with two seats open. Ended up as number 5 when boarding with all seats sold.

In front of me two women couldn't find row 2, were told they are in first class, starting cheering saying "Really? I had no idea. Wow, I guess it was worth paying for whatever that was on the screen. United is great."

A bunch of us did not look amused. I can't swear to it, but do not believe I was offered a buy up at web check in.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Booked saver economy Thursday to Sunday for DEN-ORD-YUL R/T YUL-EWR-DEN. Offered buy up to F for $129 per way during booking process.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dcdavido
Fill it up and they get $15 more per seat than giving it to elites or (god forbid) op-ups to GMs. They'll zero in on the right price for each market and each flight. You don't want to sell a seat for $15 more than coach, and miss out on a $69 upgrade or even worse a $1500 full fare purchased.

PRASM seems to indicate that it is more difficult (and potentially costly) to attract new customers when you drive off elites.
Bingo. IMHO those who chant that UA has a responsibility to sell the seat for whatever they can don't "get" that there is a cost to selling that seat, too, and lost revenue opportunity from elites who get mad that their upgrades aren't clearing anymore, or worse, who see behind the curtain and see a TOD being offered to others while their own upgrades (even when supported by instruments or miles + cash) just flounder.

I think UA has severely underestimated the cost of attracting and retaining new customers (as well as what it takes to do so; hint: cheap upgrades to a subpar domestic F seat aren't what it takes to attract pax who make their purchasing decisions primarily on which flight is cheapest in Expedia, Kayak, etc.), as well as underestimated the value of repeat business by proven repeat customers (e.g. elites).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
Bingo. IMHO those who chant that UA has a responsibility to sell the seat for whatever they can don't "get" that there is a cost to selling that seat, too, and lost revenue opportunity from elites who get mad that their upgrades aren't clearing anymore, or worse, who see behind the curtain and see a TOD being offered to others while their own upgrades (even when supported by instruments or miles + cash) just flounder.

I think UA has severely underestimated the cost of attracting and retaining new customers (as well as what it takes to do so; hint: cheap upgrades to a subpar domestic F seat aren't what it takes to attract pax who make their purchasing decisions primarily on which flight is cheapest in Expedia, Kayak, etc.), as well as underestimated the value of repeat business by proven repeat customers (e.g. elites).
I think you are severely overestimating the impact that non-elites purchasing upgrades are having. Plenty of people in this forum (again I'll say it, the most critical judge of UA's performance you'll find anywhere) report upgrade rates that are unchanged from previous years. The people who are impacted are those who fly very frequently on routes where the gap between the cheapest fare and an M or B fare is either zero or negligible. On routes such as these, it's far more likely that elites will fill the F cabin through the purchase of these fares than through CPUs. Much more likely than it was on UA in the past, because this upgrade path didn't exist.

Based on the reports here, these are the people who have seen upgrade percentages drop precipitously. I'm just not seeing non-elites buying TODs having the effect you would have us believe it does.

A perfect example of this, by the way, is ORD-IAD - if you fly for a 1-2 weeknight trip with less than 7 days notice you'll pay a fare of around $660 r/t (E class, refundable). An M fare is only marginally more than this, and if you purchase said E class ticket you'll be offered an upgrade to F for $89 or so. This is exactly the type of route where people will just pay slightly more, take the M upgrade and not play the CPU lottery. If this was a route I flew regularly I would be convinced that CPUs were virtually non-existent for elites, because they effectively are due to the fare structure. But it's 1Ks / GSs that are getting those M fares, not non-elites.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by greathustle
I value my elite benefits, and upgrades the most of all of them, very highly. But if UA can SELL a one-way domestic first class seat for an additional $700, on top of a mid-level W fare, you're not going to hear any complaints from me. Would be pretty surprised if that wasn't the full upfare to A.

I mean, what's the issue here? That no non-elite should sit in F if there's an elite on the plane somewhere? Even if the non-elite is willing to spend $1,000+ on a one way? Wow
Wait for it....

I don't think anyone has any issue about the $700 up-fare - it's the sub-$100 TOD that is the key issue, often a lesser offer to a GM than to an elite, while elites languish on the waitlist.

That's the pennywise, pound foolish mindset many of us criticize.
Wait for it....

Originally Posted by RJNYC
To me, the issue is that no offer was made to me (the elite) while the GM got an offer despite the fact that we are on the same flights, ticketed in the same fare bucket.
There it is.

Originally Posted by abaheti
LAX-ORD, flight 472, 757-200, 905am

I was number 2 on upgrade wait list day before at check in and until I went to bed with two seats open. Ended up as number 5 when boarding with all seats sold.

In front of me two women couldn't find row 2, were told they are in first class, starting cheering saying "Really? I had no idea. Wow, I guess it was worth paying for whatever that was on the screen. United is great."

A bunch of us did not look amused. I can't swear to it, but do not believe I was offered a buy up at web check in.
That's the problem.

Originally Posted by exerda

I agree with exerda. Seriously though UA has no real brand to market these days. Except that explorer card guy.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by star_world
I think you are severely overestimating the impact that non-elites purchasing upgrades are having. Plenty of people in this forum (again I'll say it, the most critical judge of UA's performance you'll find anywhere) report upgrade rates that are unchanged from previous years.
Not sure I agree with this - while some say they're unchanged, many others have talked about how their UG % has plummeted. Don't think I've seen any who say it's gotten better since 3/3.

A perfect example of this, by the way, is ORD-IAD - if you fly for a 1-2 weeknight trip with less than 7 days notice you'll pay a fare of around $660 r/t (E class, refundable). An M fare is only marginally more than this, and if you purchase said E class ticket you'll be offered an upgrade to F for $89 or so. This is exactly the type of route where people will just pay slightly more, take the M upgrade and not play the CPU lottery. If this was a route I flew regularly I would be convinced that CPUs were virtually non-existent for elites, because they effectively are due to the fare structure. But it's 1Ks / GSs that are getting those M fares, not non-elites.
M fares are red herrings these days - it's the V-up pricing (usually offered with a 14 day advance purchase) which is magically offered again inside T-24. And with SHARES magic "dynamic pricing", they can offer whatever F buy-up price they'd like.

Plus, it's been documented many times that not only can GMs get cheaper offers than elites, the offer can also be made to those on award tix while there's still a full UG waitlist.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
If I had a penny for every time I read 'I'm leaving UA, lack of upgrades', I'd be a rich man.
If you leave UA, who will treat you better? AA,US,DL, lol. Good Luck.
Flying hub to hub on world's biggest airline and looking for an upgrade?
Best move to another airline.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:05 pm

Not sure I agree with this - while some say they're unchanged, many others have talked about how their UG % has plummeted. Don't think I've seen any who say it's gotten better since 3/3.
My u/g % has fallen quite a bit, and I buy a mix of fares all across the board (low S/T/L/K/G; mid-priced Q/W/V; an occasional M/H/U/E), but almost never Y/B. I think mine has to do with being at a hub, and one with a lot of government traffic doesn't help--but certainly it's nonetheless a big falloff from pre-3/3. There's no way it's all M/Y/B purchases (not when they're still selling Q or below at one week out!).

M fares are red herrings these days - it's the V-up pricing (usually offered with a 14 day advance purchase) which is magically offered again inside T-24. And with SHARES magic "dynamic pricing", they can offer whatever F buy-up price they'd like.
Plus, it's been documented many times that not only can GMs get cheaper offers than elites, the offer can also be made to those on award tix while there's still a full UG waitlist.[/QUOTE]

Yep, both of these are big issues IMHO and IME.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
If I had a penny for every time I read 'I'm leaving UA, lack of upgrades', I'd be a rich man.
Many have left for AA, and I have yet to hear of a single flyer who said they weren't close to 100% on AA (I went 11/12 myself, and on my miss, picked the worst possible week (Fashion Week) to go to CDG ).

The grass is greener at AA now (though US of course lurks in the future)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
AA is better. There is no question about it. My upgrade record was perfect and they have a much better product than UA--better food, better service (consistently good), and Wi-Fi. I stick with UA for other reasons--closing in on MMer status, Star Alliance, and most importantly, the ability to do confirmed same-day changes +/- 24 hours of your confirmed flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.