Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Upgrade SFO-ORD one way

We'll I had a Q fare roundtrip. Paid 800.00 round trip. Option to buy up to business class on the 767, sfo-ord 10AM flight. Buy up was 119.00.

I went ahead and pulled the credit card out. UA got me!

Buy up one way to B or Y was 500.00 more. I can get work to pay for the Y or B fare but not 500.00 more so I pulled out the personal credit card and bought the upgrade.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I would like the ability as a 1K to buy up a fare to M for Domestic instant upgrades AFTER my agency has ticketed. Right now I don't see these offers if I go on the upgrade list with a RPU. I see them ONLY at checkin. Would like to know if I can fare up my lower fare to an M on my own; can I do it earlier.

Maybe under Upgrades you list it as "Buy up to an Instant Upgradeable Fare Now" ... etc.

Also on mile upgrades for Intl if the buy up to the lower mileage and no copay fare basis is reasonable describe that option.... E.g. LET me buy up as well to an GPU applicable fare if my company doesn't. Though in all honest I've seen the departure/check in Intl upgrades cheaper that doing a fare change - as I just buy that and not use up an RPU. Some may not like this; I've done sold upgrades to C/J twice this year as the fare up to a W fare was the same and I would have had an GPU used - in the case of a buy up I had the money charged and no RPU needed. Yes for some it sucks that this is the new UA but for some like me who don't always get to pay for C/J it's reasonable
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I would like the ability as a 1K to buy up a fare to M for Domestic instant upgrades AFTER my agency has ticketed. Right now I don't see these offers if I go on the upgrade list with a RPU. I see them ONLY at checkin. Would like to know if I can fare up my lower fare to an M on my own; can I do it earlier.

Maybe under Upgrades you list it as "Buy up to an Instant Upgradeable Fare Now" ... etc.

Also on mile upgrades for Intl if the buy up to the lower mileage and no copay fare basis is reasonable describe that option.... E.g. LET me buy up as well to an GPU applicable fare if my company doesn't. Though in all honest I've seen the departure/check in Intl upgrades cheaper that doing a fare change - as I just buy that and not use up an RPU. Some may not like this; I've done sold upgrades to C/J twice this year as the fare up to a W fare was the same and I would have had an GPU used - in the case of a buy up I had the money charged and no RPU needed. Yes for some it sucks that this is the new UA but for some like me who don't always get to pay for C/J it's reasonable
Under your reservation select change flight and choose as booking code. Then it will tell you how much more is needed. Do it within 24 hours or you will have to pay the change fee also.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
On my recent R/T bookings discount F appears to be cheaper than M, and M is more expensive than refundable tickets. It makes no sense.

When I go to book I get the "Lowest Fares" box listing:

Non-Stop: $730
Flexible: $1,230
First: $999

When I try to book M using the specific fare option, it's: $1,430
When I try flexible, it books into U.

A few times (not every time) when I book the non-stop for $730, I'll get an occasional offer to UG to F for ~$60-90. When I take it, it books me into P where I get the bonus EQM and RDM.

Prior to the instantly upgradeable fares, the prices on this route were typically around $1,000 for refundable and $1,400 for discount F. This new pricing is so confusing to me, why pay more for M than for P when P gets you EQM, RDM, and neither are refundable? And why is a refundable ticket less than an M fare non-refundable ticket?

My only hunch is they think 1Ks will blindly buy M no matter the cost for the instant upgrade? This whole new pricing scheme baffles me
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond

$109 IAH-SAT tomorrow. Looks like one seat open. No upgrade for this 1K. Short flight definitely not worth that much. Unless it clears before flight this will make me 7/8 upgrades this week.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
SFO-IAH hop tomorrow. 1 seat left in F. No R inventory, of course. I am travelling on an S fare, have a seat in E+.

I got an offer to be waitlisted for the last F seat. I can either pay $406 out of pocket, or pay $75 plus 20,000 miles.

This plane is one of the ghetto bird configurations. (Actually I think the proper description for it is "South Bronx Pigeon" configuration.) The flight has no IFE, wi-fi or in-seat power. The only thing that F offers over E+, in my estimation, is more leg room and a free meal. (Mind you, the flight is 4 hours, and is at dinner time. It should have a meal in all cabins, but doesn't; let's not launch into that tangent.)

Needless to say, I will not be taking that offer. Momma didn't raise no fools.

Forget it, Smisek.

Originally Posted by fed planner
$109 IAH-SAT tomorrow. Looks like one seat open. No upgrade for this 1K. Short flight definitely not worth that much. Unless it clears before flight this will make me 7/8 upgrades this week.
Honestly, just drive down I-10 tomorrow. Stop at the Buckee's truck stop near Luling, halfway between Houston and San Antonio. The jerkee there is great - and better some of the meals served in F on UA nowadays!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by fed planner
Who would pay for that one??

My SFO-ORD was the same price. For C seat on a reconfig 767. I took it.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Flying atl-ord-den. Second segment cleared a few days, as go. Was offered an upgrade for $89 for atl-ord, which I declined. Currently number 12 on the upgrade list on an H fare.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond

I would drive except I am coming in from San Diego. But when driving between San Antonio and Houston I do stop at Buc-ee's.

This was a V fare and I am currently #1 on the upgrade list with one seat showing available. It's a 735 so not too many choices. And my seat was moved from 8D to 7D. Won't complain about that other than it wasn't previously available.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Under your reservation select change flight and choose as booking code. Then it will tell you how much more is needed. Do it within 24 hours or you will have to pay the change fee also.
Have you tried this and has it worked, I'm ALWAYS nervous changing a ticket that did not originate from united.com but from an agency.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Who would pay for that one??

My SFO-ORD was the same price. For C seat on a reconfig 767. I took it.
took the same flt today...no clear on a Q fair trying to use a RPU...par for the course.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Have you tried this and has it worked, I'm ALWAYS nervous changing a ticket that did not originate from united.com but from an agency.
Yup! Always!

Originally Posted by jacroweORD
took the same flt today...no clear on a Q fair trying to use a RPU...par for the course.
Ya I also booked a Q fair. 119.00 wasnt bad so I took it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 14, 2012 at 10:15 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Sfo-san t-20 $269 l-f
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon
Flying atl-ord-den. Second segment cleared a few days, as go. Was offered an upgrade for $89 for atl-ord, which I declined. Currently number 12 on the upgrade list on an H fare.
I am still amazed that I ended up being number 12 on a RJ, having bought my ticket only a few days ago, and thus probably not having the cheapest fare out there.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:28 pm

#12 today den-iad. Offered upgrade for $389. Declined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.