Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by emanon256
Here is a weird one for me.

Flight next week, Q fare, offered a buy up for $494.
Q to M Delta = $306.

Exact same flight 1 week later, S fare, offered a buy up for $220.
S to M Delta = $427

Both fares show M availability.

I'm
Don't worry... the system is working just fine.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy your colonoscopy at 30,000 feet.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:21 pm

Any idea when

I'm 1K traveling from IAD - FCO in late June. Trying to use SWU to move up to business class.

Seat map shows 16 open business seats on outbound flight, and 26 seats on return.

Waitlisted on both flights. Any idea when those might clear or am I relegated to the T-96 window?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
I should have known... SWU IAD-DXB Showing plenty of biz seats. Waitlist upgrade failed. TOD $1,599. No thanks. Wish me luck.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Just for fun. My MCI > DEN flight tomorrow.

1.) $754 T-48 out (532 mile flight)
2.) $230 T-30 out
3.) T-24 out:

What will tomorrow bring??!?!

According to the mobile app there are already 12 people on the UG list.

I could honestly care less, I am just fascinated with the pricing as it moves closer and closer to takeoff.

(Did someone say "Perishable Commodity"?)

Cheers,
Adam
Old May 23, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by conti MM plat muss
I'm 1K traveling from IAD - FCO in late June. Trying to use SWU to move up to business class.

Seat map shows 16 open business seats on outbound flight, and 26 seats on return.

Waitlisted on both flights. Any idea when those might clear or am I relegated to the T-96 window?

Thanks!
As I've been told SWU's are not CPUs and the T96hr window doesn't apply. It's been 24hrs for me. My prediction is that you won't clear in advance. You will be offered chance to pay $$ for upgrade and if seats remain you might have a shot. Essentially paying for a W fare is making less and less sense and SWU's are less and less likely to clear.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
As I've been told SWU's are not CPUs and the T96hr window doesn't apply. It's been 24hrs for me. My prediction is that you won't clear in advance. You will be offered chance to pay $$ for upgrade and if seats remain you might have a shot. Essentially paying for a W fare is making less and less sense and SWU's are less and less likely to clear.
+1. If there's no R/RN availability at booking ... I'd look at other options.

If you're within the 24 hour booking window and can void the ticket, I'd (personally) look at a premium economy with another carrier if you want a decent seat that won't break the bank (*A if you can, admittedly I have no idea who flies into FCO )

Cheers,
Adam
Old May 23, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Who is going to pay for this? Albert Pujols?

Originally Posted by DrDesmo
Went to check out a flight for tomorrow, this made me chuckle.

Is there a full meal service and Shiatsu on that long haul MCI > DEN flight now?

Any other ridiculous UG$'s out there?

Cheers,
Adam

PS: Got a CPU for the outbound flight already ^
There might be someone out there actually gullable enough, to pay for this. He'll probably walk right past you into the first class cabin, thinking to himself: "God, what a great deal I got!"

Maybe Albert Pujols will be on that flight. He certainly has the money to pay for a $754 upgrade - on a cheap Embraer bucket - for a 2 hour flight. (Maybe he can head back to St. Louis, to look for his home run swing.....)

God, who at UA has the sheer nerve, to offer these prices? What a ripoff...
Old May 23, 2012, 4:47 pm

I should have known... SWU IAD-DXB Showing plenty of biz seats. Waitlist upgrade failed. TOD $1,599. No thanks. Wish me luck.
Here's an interesting fact. After I booked the upgrade price went up to $3,779. I called UA and she said that the system is programmed to sometimes give you a much lower price at time of Check-In. I guess they figure if you come back you must be desperate and hence try to charge you more.

This is some seriously scary behavioral engineering. Forget about what Facebook knows about me, I'm a little concerned about what UA knows about me - and how it could cost me seriously more cash to fly with them in the future.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
That is not a proof ... more like an illustration that you still get a CPU cleared with UA cannot hawk it off any other way ...
Agreed. The logic that is applied lately to demonstrate that life under COdbaUA is improving is ridiculous.

Last edited by hobo13; May 23, 2012 at 5:14 pm
Old May 23, 2012, 4:53 pm

Here's an interesting fact. After I booked the upgrade price went up to $3,779. I called UA and she said that the system is programmed to sometimes give you a much lower price at time of Check-In. I guess they figure if you come back you must be desperate and hence try to charge you more.

This is some seriously scary behavioral engineering. Forget about what Facebook knows about me, I'm a little concerned about what UA knows about me - and how it could cost me seriously more cash to fly with them in the future.
It only costs you more cash if you play the game by their rules. I wouldn't.

Cheers,
Adam
Old May 23, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

But how many seats are really left in C. No one is going to pay $4000 at the airport and cheap TODs for GMs only don't happen on TATL flights so you still have a chance I would assume?

Why anybody would play the lottery on a DXB flight is beyond me
Old May 23, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
What choice do you have when your employer forces you to buy Y fares and you have to go on a certain date/time or your employer has a contract. Luckily you own your own firm, but many of us have far less latitude...
Old May 23, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
What choice do you have when your employer forces you to buy Y fares and you have to go on a certain date/time or your employer has a contract. Luckily you own your own firm, but many of us have far less latitude...
I'd dust off the resumé and find a new employer.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
EWR-AUS tomorrow on a $450 V fare

1) $594 upgrade each way offer until OLCI
2) $219 upgrade offer at OLCI (declined)
3) $594 upgrade each way again now.

I haven't even bothered to look at the upgrade list...
Old May 23, 2012, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
But how many seats are really left in C. No one is going to pay $4000 at the airport and cheap TODs for GMs only don't happen on TATL flights so you still have a chance I would assume?

Why? - Because it's Memorial Day weekend. I find those long weekends are often the best to travel otherwise business heavy routes. The business flyer is going to Disney World with the family. I get to fly in their seat cheaply...well I used to before the SHARES Borg took over. I know I can't rely on seat maps, but C cabin has 18 seats open according to the mobile app after check-in shows 3 of 12 seats booked/blocked Business First shows 49 capacity/24 booked in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.