Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Learning the new website: How to sponsor an upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

There are a lot of questions out there about how the new website works. I figured I'd put together a few posts/threads on how various tasks work in hopes that it makes life easier for folks. Here's the first - How to sponsor an upgrade for another passenger.
  • Go to "My Reservations" on the site. At the bottom of that page is a form where you can put in a PNR and passenger last name.
  • Fill that in with the info of the passenger you want to sponsor.
  • Below the list of flights is a button to redeem an upgrade:
  • Click that and you'll have the option to use either miles or your certs to process the upgrade:
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
That was very nice of you, thank you! and BTW, those big buttons do not work on the iphone safari web browser!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Does sponsoring someone automatically save their PNR to your account?

Saving the PNR might be a useful optional step to add to your list so the sponsor can remember where their upgrades have been used.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:47 pm

this is good advice. thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Tried to upgrade my wife but her itinerary does not show the "redeem upgrade" link. Why?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:48 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Do you still need to sign the "bluey" if you sponsor upgrade over the phone?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by honmani2
Tried to upgrade my wife but her itinerary does not show the "redeem upgrade" link. Why?
There have been some reports of this. You can try changing the seat assignment to one up front to see if that will get you to the screen. Otherwise you need to call.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Do you still need to sign the "bluey" if you sponsor upgrade over the phone?
No.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:27 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Apologize if this has been discussed already, but I have read (in CC) that the status of the sponsor now matters in prioritizing WLs, is that true for both RPUs/GPUs as well as miles? TIA.

LAX
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
There have been some reports of this. You can try changing the seat assignment to one up front to see if that will get you to the screen. Otherwise you need to call.

No.
Couldn't change seat assignments. Dreading having to call given how swamped the lines are.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX
Apologize if this has been discussed already, but I have read (in CC) that the status of the sponsor now matters in prioritizing WLs, is that true for both RPUs/GPUs as well as miles? TIA.

LAX
My understanding is yes.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Avis Pref Plus, Nat'l Exec
Ironically enough, I have the "request upgrade" button for both of the itineraries I booked well before the new Web site (Jan / early Feb, for travel in March and in May), but not for any of the three itineraries I booked last night. If I click in First on the seat map, the site simply returns me to the seat map page again for those itineraries.

Any reason why only newly booked itineraries would be having this problem?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by dmach
Ironically enough, I have the "request upgrade" button for both of the itineraries I booked well before the new Web site (Jan / early Feb, for travel in March and in May), but not for any of the three itineraries I booked last night. If I click in First on the seat map, the site simply returns me to the seat map page again for those itineraries.

Any reason why only newly booked itineraries would be having this problem?
Same here.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by honmani2
Same here.
+1
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I cannot upgrade either.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:26 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

In my case, the one reservation I do not see the redeem upgrade link is the reservation that I applied an e-cert discount. The other reservations that were booked normally or at the airport has the redeem upgrade link....

Perhaps this is one of the reasons behind this issue? Is anybody having this issue on a regular booked itinerary that was booked on UA.com [not via a third party or corporate travel agent] with no discounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.