Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Between Some City Pairs is Different After System Integration-Resolved by UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Between Some City Pairs is Different After System Integration-Resolved by UA.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
SAT-IAH and vice versa is down one mile from 191 before the merger to 190 after. For what it's worth, Great Circle Mapper has the distance at 191 miles.

Of course, with 500-mile elite minimums, this particular "shrinkage" won't really impact my bottom line. But, given all the other before vs. after discrepancies, I think UA owes us an explanation.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Maybe I missed something and this is old news but I just went into the mileage calculator in the new site to check my miles to MKE from SNA via ORD... it is giving me 250 miles for the segment from ORD to MKE, each way.... did this happen recently? I booked this flight fully expecting 500 miles for each segment...
The miles will post correctly if you are elite, but will not show correctly when doing the flight searches. It's the same thing if you run a search for a business or first class ticket; the mileage bonuses will not appear, only the base mileage. You'll have to crunch the numbers yourself to find out what you should earn.

Originally Posted by thumbun
Not 100% related to the thread, but I can't find where this might be addressed. At PMUA, as a 1K flyer I earned 500 EQMs, as well as 500 FF miles + a 500 mile FF bonus for flights between SFO and LAX. Will that still be the case at the new United? The website indicates that I will only receive 338 miles.
From

https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/bonuses.aspx

"Premier® members will earn a minimum of 500 award miles and 500 Premier qualifying miles on all paid United and Copa flights, as well as eligible flights on select partner carriers."

The actual miles you earn are not shown running flight searches or viewing a purchased itinerary. Only the base mileage is shown.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: united 1K
London has floated 14 miles closer to Newark over the weekend. I can't believe it wasn't on the cover of every newspaper.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
LAX is now closer to ORD as well. Continental must employ "new math". Most 3rd party sources for "flight distance" confirm the legacy UA number.

Whatever, just one more tiny thing with this merger-of-equals that sums to me being very happy I managed some status with DL in addition to UA last year.

I'll await the HBS case study on this one. Not the fame SMI/J was aiming for, I would guess.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Again, stressing this as much as I can for those who are unaware... Continental *never* had these lower figures as their website does now. It was always 2,565 miles from SFO-EWR, etc. Now even that's lower. Something's up in the system.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Again, stressing this as much as I can for those who are unaware... Continental *never* had these lower figures as their website does now. It was always 2,565 miles from SFO-EWR, etc. Now even that's lower. Something's up in the system.
Using the integration as an excuse to introduce the lower distances. Someone watched office-space before a corporate retreat... "what we do is take the fraction of pennies from each transaction and..."
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by frankmu
"I was in the pool!"
"Do women know about shrinkage?"
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
Two more:

sCO's BOS-CLE that was previously 563 is now showing 560
sUA's ORD-BOS that was previously 867 is now showing 863
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
One of my more common routes these days: DCA-ORD-HKG lost 15 miles over the weekend.

DCA-ORD: 612 - 3 = 609
ORD-HKG: 7787 - 12 = 7775

Also checked IAD-PDX, which declined 9 miles, from 2327 to 2318. Nothing else in my itineraries at the moment to compare, and I can't be bothered to scour records and timetables.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA-1k, AA-gold, Hyatt - glob, HH - Gold, Marriott -Gold
LHR routes too

ORD -> LHR 3953 to 3937 = -16
LAX -> LHR 5456 to 5437 = -19

Other routes I fly alot:
ORD -> LAS 1514 to 1509 = -6
ORD -> BOS 867 to 863 = -4
ORD -> LGA 733 to 730 = -3
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe they've decided that mileage flown isn't counted below 10,000 ft.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
Using the integration as an excuse to introduce the lower distances. Someone watched office-space before a corporate retreat... "what we do is take the fraction of pennies from each transaction and..."
heh. you're right. I wouldn't put it past them....
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Hopefully they rectify this. It does add up (of course in UAs favor).
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
LAX is now closer to ORD as well. Continental must employ "new math". Most 3rd party sources for "flight distance" confirm the legacy UA number.

Whatever, just one more tiny thing with this merger-of-equals that sums to me being very happy I managed some status with DL in addition to UA last year.

I'll await the HBS case study on this one. Not the fame SMI/J was aiming for, I would guess.
Not to be defending PMCO at every turn, because they've done their share of stupid stuff over the years, but these new mileages are different from those of PMUA AND PMCO.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by UAzip
Not to be defending PMCO at every turn, because they've done their share of stupid stuff over the years, but these new mileages are different from those of PMUA AND PMCO.
Right. That's why I tend to think it's a system glitch. The issue, however, is if the EQM/RDM we are credited corresponds to the less mileage. I sent a PM over to UA Insider about this, and hopefully we'll have some more info later on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.