Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The cost for purchasing extra miles is increased

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The cost for purchasing extra miles is increased

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
The cost for Award Accelerator miles is increased

On .bomb, I had offers to purchase Award Accelerator for around 1.99 cpm for int'l trips and 2.3 cpm for domestic ones. I was about to buy some Award Accelerator miles for the int'l offer this Friday. Now all the offers are 3 cpm.

Last edited by mike_L; Mar 3, 2012 at 10:47 am Reason: Update the title for clarification
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:29 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I suspect this is because you're getting the Elite Accelerator exchange rates, and not the old PMUA Award Accelerator ones.

But you do now have the option of purchasing PQM, too. (I'm going to give that a FWIW; I'm not a big fan of selling PQM.)
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by exerda
I suspect this is because you're getting the Elite Accelerator exchange rates, and not the old PMUA Award Accelerator ones.

But you do now have the option of purchasing PQM, too. (I'm going to give that a FWIW; I'm not a big fan of selling PQM.)
I was quoted $4,500 for 30,000 each MP and PQM miles... Not in this lifetime...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
12.5 cents / mile is what I've been seeing for PQM... definitely not worth it at this point in the year.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA; BA
Originally Posted by bsmnsr
I was quoted $4,500 for 30,000 each MP and PQM miles... Not in this lifetime...
I was offered $3750 for 30,000 (12.5 cpm) for PQMs (and a third of that for just the RDMs).

Originally Posted by navi-c
12.5 cents / mile is what I've been seeing for PQM... definitely not worth it at this point in the year.
Indeed!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
The elite accelerator seems to be missing from purchasing miles withe the mileage accelerator - only one for price for all passenger with different elite levels. Is this temporary or a new enahcement that I am gong to like,
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by World20
The elite accelerator seems to be missing from purchasing miles withe the mileage accelerator - only one for price for all passenger with different elite levels. Is this temporary or a new enahcement that I am gong to like,
It was there when I looked earlier today. You have to pick the price level for the RDM first, then it will show the price for EQM.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
+1 to all of the above. I used to buy a lot of RDM at $.02/mile, which always seemed a liitle high but not unreasonable. At $.03, there's not a chance I'll buy.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Is this a new policy or an integration bug?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
I am disappointed the prices did not drop. I won't buy either at 13 cpm. I really hope they drop at some point! Instead I am doing my first ever mileage run for about 5000 miles at 3.9 cpm. Why not- have a book I want to start and sounds like fun.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Is this a new policy or an integration bug?
Neither.

Well, the RDM price increase (to 3cpm, from 2-2.5cpm) is new to UA flyers who may have used Award Accelerator in the past--though they didn't have the option to buy EQM at all.

But the going rate for EQM (now PQM) from CO's Elite / Premier Maximizer has been pegged near 13 cpm since the start of the year.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:50 pm

Like the OP I had some UA int'l itineraries with a price of .019 cpm. Suspecting that prices would jump, I purchased a package of miles on Friday at that price (which I consider a good price). Sure enough, the new Premier Accelerator RDM price for that same itinerary is now .03 cpm.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by JetAway
Like the OP I had some UA int'l itineraries with a price of .019 cpm. Suspecting that prices would jump, I purchased a package of miles on Friday at that price (which I consider a good price). Sure enough, the new Premier Accelerator RDM price for that same itinerary is now .03 cpm.
"Changes I think you"ll like."
J. Smisek
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by Billiken
"Changes I think you"ll like."
J. Smisek
Guys.. please....
I think he was trying to say:
"Charges, I think you will like"
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by pigx5
Guys.. please....
I think he was trying to say:
"Charges, I think you will like"

I have to admit that there were times I've flown on old UA when I'd rather have just bought the EQM (to maintain status) and stayed home (I have a toddler)! I never knew about Elite Maximizer concept until the merger - I could have used it during 2005-2009 each year.

Paying $3750 for 30000 PQM (EQM) could be worth it if I expect to be at 45000 PQM and want to bump to PPlatinum for 2013, without having to fly in int'l economy and paying (if lucky) $900 for SFO-FRA (13000 PQM) twice, since I'd probably then spend another $1800 for being in Germany for fun, or more likely I'd have to buy 2 more PAX for my wife and toddler

Mind you I've never made it past 1P, so PPlatinum is a new concept. 1K was never attainable for me, unless I buy it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.