Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

45 Minute Boarding Time for Narrow-Body Aircraft on UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 Minute Boarding Time for Narrow-Body Aircraft on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:01 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by star_world
This comment doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

For the record, I didn't see any difference in boarding times on PMUA vs. PMCO flights. Both generally started boarding approx. 30min before departure and would be finished before the departure time. Some people here are very effective at convincing themselves that there's an issue.
And some people are very effective at convincing themselves that there's not an issue.

Believe us; there is an issue. Maybe not on the routes you fly regularly, but plenty of us have seen flights which used to board in 15 minutes run to 40 after the changes to the boarding process--and regularly so, not an aberration here or there.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
I don't understand the question/problem?

If the plane leaves on time why does it matter if it takes 20 minutes or and 1hr and 20 min. to board?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mnmme
I don't understand the question/problem?

If the plane leaves on time why does it matter if it takes 20 minutes or and 1hr and 20 min. to board?
It matters if one has to arrive at the gate for boarding that much earlier.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
This comment doesn't make any
sense whatsoever.

Some people here are very effective at convincing themselves that there's an issue.
You hit the nail on the head. That particular FTer likes to note items that aren't correct simply as they're not happy that UA is dbaCO. CO in fact moved back to the UA procedure (Zone).

chasbondy was accurate this time. It's the pax with their bags so heavy they can't lift them.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by Fredd
It matters if one has to arrive at the gate for boarding that much earlier.
So this isn't about how long it takes to board, it's about when I need to leave the lounge to make sure the kettles haven't taken all the overhead bin space?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this isn't about how long it takes to board, it's about when I need to leave the lounge to make sure the kettles haven't taken all the overhead bin space?
Pretty much. Though if you're in E+, many kettles won't be there. I find nowadays I prefer to sit early and play on my phone while others board if I have carry-ons.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aacharya
You hit the nail on the head. That particular FTer likes to note items that aren't correct simply as they're not happy that UA is dbaCO. CO in fact moved back to the UA procedure (Zone).
No, they moved back to a modified zone procedure. The reason the PMUA process worked so well is that the carpet was reserved for GS/F/C/1K throughout the boarding process. That no longer is the case, and opening the carpet to all "elites" is in part why the process has been so F'ed up since the pre-June process was abandoned.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Glad I could help you to understand at least one aspect of the question/problem (as others have also pointed out).
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
No, they moved back to a modified zone procedure. The reason the PMUA process worked so well is that the carpet was reserved for GS/F/C/1K throughout the boarding process. That no longer is the case, and opening the carpet to all "elites" is in part why the process has been so F'ed up since the pre-June process was abandoned.
All the carpet did was allow the 20-30 folks in those categories to board whenever they want.

So yes, those GS/F/C/1Ks saw no issues, but the other kettles did I imagine. Factor in the change in baggage fees post-merger and a bad economy.

UA even w/o CO would've changed their boarding times to adjust, or would have padded flight times.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:46 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
PMCO always took this long to board a 757. Maybe it was the lack of zone boarding, or just a feature of SHARES?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
This old process had nothing to do with speeding up boarding - in fact it by definition should slow it down, since with the current process the GAs can service two queues simultaneously for a longer part of the boarding process. You've had an issue with this for a long time now but it doesn't make any more sense than it did the first time you tried to explain it.

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
PMCO always took this long to board a 757. Maybe it was the lack of zone boarding, or just a feature of SHARES?
Can you enlighten us on how this could possibly be related to SHARES? The level of paranoia around here knows no limits apparently.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
This old process had nothing to do with speeding up boarding - in fact it by definition should slow it down, since with the current process the GAs can service two queues simultaneously for a longer part of the boarding process. You've had an issue with this for a long time now but it doesn't make any more sense than it did the first time you tried to explain it.

Can you enlighten us on how this could possibly be related to SHARES? The level of paranoia around here knows no limits apparently.
Can you enlighten us on how you pretend there is no issue when so many people, gate agents and pax included, see prolonged boarding time using inferior PMO procedure?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This comment doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

For the record, I didn't see any difference in boarding times on PMUA vs. PMCO flights. Both generally started boarding approx. 30min before departure and would be finished before the departure time. Some people here are very effective at convincing themselves that there's an issue.
This ignores the fact that CO has a posted 45 minute time for a 753 (vs. 30 for UA on a 752) and a 35 minute time on the 737s vs. 30 for the Airbii

I tend to arrive early for CO flights actually because many times I've showed up at T-45 (for 753s) and they've already boarded all of F

All the carpet did was allow the 20-30 folks in those categories to board whenever they want.

UA even w/o CO would've changed their boarding times to adjust, or would have padded flight times.
And of course it allowed every 1P/*G to line up as well, in the other lane. It worked quite well.

There was zero indication that UA w/o CO was going to allow for more padding in boarding - don't forget they had the trend of being the #1 on time airline too for a couple years
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
Can you enlighten us on how you pretend there is no issue when so many people, gate agents and pax included, see prolonged boarding time using inferior PMO procedure?
The issues I've seen (on both sides) have been related to GAs having zero ability to change to a new process, and instead reverting to a confused mess. When the process is followed I don't see a material difference between the two. People are making a huge issue out of relatively little, IMO.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This ignores the fact that CO has a posted 45 minute time for a 753 (vs. 30 for UA on a 752) and a 35 minute time on the 737s vs. 30 for the Airbii

I tend to arrive early for CO flights actually because many times I've showed up at T-45 (for 753s) and they've already boarded all of F
It doesn't ignore it at all - that's got nothing to do with the point I was making above - read it again.

Legacy UA is the only airline I've flown that rigidly stuck to published boarding times - to the extent that it was published as a countdown at the gate. This had nothing to do with a customer friendly policy, it was a contractual issue for the FAs who wouldn't accept pax being boarded before that time.

This wasn't an issue on PMCO where boarding could start as soon as the FAs were ready. So you would often see a 737 start boarding at T-45, be completed at T-20 and doors closed and pushed back at T-10. That's not a major issue as far as I'm concerned. The only complaint I can see is that you could lose out on overhead space if you show up 30 min before departure.

And of course it allowed every 1P/*G to line up as well, in the other lane. It worked quite well.
Right. Everyone in one huge line, empty line next to it. Now that there are two GAs boarding each flight, that's incredibly inefficient. Glad to see they've made an improvement here ^
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So yes, those GS/F/C/1Ks saw no issues, but the other kettles did I imagine. Factor in the change in baggage fees post-merger and a bad economy.

When the carpet was reserved for those 20-30 to board - on the IAD-SFO route, that could approach 40 - it reduced the number of elites trying to board at the commencement of the process. IOW, it lessened the logjam we have now at the commencement of almost every elite-heavy flight.

Yes, but how many UA gates have one BP reader for each line? The fact is that boarding became a massive CF when UA abandoned the pre-June process. It improved slightly when they went back to zones, but countless posts attest to the view that the current process isn't working as efficiently as the pre-June 2011 process. If it isn't the carpet change, what is it?

Next time you are at DCA, go watch the difference between AA boarding a flight, and UA boarding a flight. Rugby scrum at UA, efficiency at AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.