Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a fare on Turkish...how can I ensure I get mileage credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum

Hey all,

Looking to book a flight IAD-IST-NBO on Turkish. According to the United page, booking classes YBMKHSEQVWGTLP all get 100% credit and XIRN get 0% credit. Whats the best way to make sure that the fare I'm looking at will earn me miles? I don't seem to see a fare class anywhere on the Turkish booking page.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
You might have to call them to verify. The last time I booked on Turkish, I couldn't get the Turkish Airlines site to accept my credit card for some reason so I had to call the reservations agent. I verified what class of ticket I was purchasing before I made the reservation.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADOrange
Hey all,

Looking to book a flight IAD-IST-NBO on Turkish. According to the United page, booking classes YBMKHSEQVWGTLP all get 100% credit and XIRN get 0% credit. Whats the best way to make sure that the fare I'm looking at will earn me miles? ....
apears all paid fares are 100% or better

XIRN is standard fare classes for not earning since there are the semi-standard *A classes for awards / upgrades.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:35 am

I've only done one return trip on Turkish, but I'm 50/50 for getting them to type my MP number in, despite handing a 1K card at check-in. (Someone else makes the reservation, and I can't really have the number put in then - bureaucracy.) It was at Gatwick, and they didn't want to let me board early, and they didn't want to let me into the lounge at IST. Maybe this is an anomaly, but perhaps you want to make sure the number is entered at reservation if possible.

The dragon at the IST lounge did a lot of typing, and I now seem to have credit for one of my two flights on the return segment.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm flying IST-ORD on Turkish next Tuesday. I'll report back.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:34 am

Go through the process of completing the reservation on Expedia.com.

Normally, if you select the same flights, in the same class, you'll get the same price..

Then, before confirming and moving on to the payment page, just click on the link at the botton that says "Fares and Restrictions". A pop-up will appears with all the restriction and will show you Fare Class.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:01 pm

Turkish airlines miles accrual?

Hi,

I am flying Turkish Airlines in a few weeks in V class and want to get mileage credit on United. When I booked this in December, V class got 100% accrual. But then V was flagged to get 0% accrual for flights after Jan 1. Now, it appears to have gone back up to 100% accrual: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=306 Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
It looks like the new UA website went with the PMCO earning schedule which was more liberal in some cases. You probably won't know for sure until just before you fly. I'd say you're probably good to go since the new UA lists the class as earning.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: United, Lufthansa, Aerolineas Argentina
On Feb 2nd TK customer service told me that all flights would accrue mileage on United except for the three fare codes listed as zero accrual on the pre-3/3 United website. I was told the three codes represented employee travel, travel industry fares and mileage tickets.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Flew a TK round trip in P class in early Feb. with my SO, and we were both credited 100%. Pretty certain P class on TK is their lowest revenue class. Didn't happen automatically, though. Even though our MP #s and status were on BP, etc. had to request credit online, credit came through in ~ 1 week.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL MM, PC Plat/Amb. SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Got TK miles last week

I flew SIN-IST-BCN round trip last week on TK and got the outbound miles credited promptly. The return ones seem to be stuck in system migration vortex and are not showing. Hopefully once United completes the migration the remainder will post.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
MileagePlus experience w Turkish

The wife and I are planning on taking the trip to Bangkok and Turkish seems to have one of the better travel times (and arrival times) for our needs.

But after reading some reviews - I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me:

a) Has anyone flown Turkish from JFK and not had the issues I've read about (bad service, hot airplanes and lost luggage?)

b) Those who did fly, was there any issue in getting miles credited to MileagePlus? We'd be flying somewhere in coach (but all classes seem to be 100% accrual for base/premier)

c) On the way back from BKK, we planned a 12 hour layover in Istanbul - anyone else done this? Any issues getting to and from airport for a quick city tour?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by stompey5
The wife and I are planning on taking the trip to Bangkok and Turkish seems to have one of the better travel times (and arrival times) for our needs.

But after reading some reviews - I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me:

a) Has anyone flown Turkish from JFK and not had the issues I've read about (bad service, hot airplanes and lost luggage?)

b) Those who did fly, was there any issue in getting miles credited to MileagePlus? We'd be flying somewhere in coach (but all classes seem to be 100% accrual for base/premier)

c) On the way back from BKK, we planned a 12 hour layover in Istanbul - anyone else done this? Any issues getting to and from airport for a quick city tour?

a) flown TK a few times - never an issue - no more than one would expect on UA. Food is great on TK, even in Y
b) no problem crediting, as long as class is mileage earning
c) You may want to check the TK forum - TK provides free tours on such layovers (as long as there are no other flights available) - alternatively for 10+ hours they can give you a hotel
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by stompey5

a) cannot comment about ex-JFK, but ex-Europe have never had a problem. My only issue is TK's draconian interpretation of what can and can't be used as an electronics device. Had an argument with an F/A about my Blackberry... "there is no such thing as flight mode."

b) No issue with mileage credit

c) Agreed with rankourabu's comment. However, be aware that Istanbul has very congested traffic. Make sure you plan accordingly.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Flew Turkish in F on the JetAirways 777 last year. Service was great, no issues, arrived within about 30 minutes of our scheduled arrival. Ground service was good, can't really complain. This was an award ticket, so mileage credit obviously didn't apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.