Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Being assigned a PIN that there is no way to know!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From my "personalized Mileage Plus Preview page:"

Effective March 3, you will need to provide a PIN when you call United or MileagePlus to use miles or update your account. The PIN does not replace your current united.com password and is not required for any online transactions or updates. However, it can be used to log in to united.com, as an alternative to using your password.

We assigned you a PIN when we assigned your new account number; however, for security reasons we can't display it here. You will be able to reset your PIN anytime on or after March 3 by going to united.com and clicking on "Forgot PIN" on the home page.
So they're assigning a PIN which is kept secret from the person who is required to use it? Sure, there is some sort of reset process that hopefully most folks will find and use -- IF it works.

If this is typical of what is going to happen the weekend of March 3, I shudder to think of what lies ahead!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

So they're assigning a PIN which is kept secret from the person who is required to use it? Sure, there is some sort of reset process that hopefully most folks will find and use -- IF it works.

If this is typical of what is going to happen the weekend of March 3, I shudder to think of what lies ahead!
After 3/3, can we still use UA MP# and password to log on united.com?

Or will we be forced to use assigned new number and "new" PIN?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA

If you already have an CO account, the assigned PIN is the same as the one for CO. I was able to log in on the pss site with my current CO user name/PIN.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are many systems that require a username and password when the accounts are set up. There's no alternative but to generate everybody a password, usually random, and then supply them with instructions on how to change it (usually click on the forgot password link and get an e-mail with a reset password link).

It's not unusual for systems to accept both a password or a PIN number, both Hertz and Hilton I believe can accept either a username or an account number, and either a pin or a password.

It's a minor thing. Reset it next Saturday to what you want it to be and never worry about it again.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you don't want to imagine that you have a password which it is impossible to know, just pretend that you have no password at all and can't use the system until you create one. Just squint and pretend "PIN" says "password" and "forgot password" says "create new password". They're isomorphic.

There's a world where "revoke password" can be implemented with "set password to a long, random, high-entropy string".
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by cordelli
Reset it next Saturday to what you want it to be and never worry about it again.
... or create and link a OnePass account now and preemptively set up a pin. It seems like a non-issue to me ... on many other occasions (with other companies) I've had to use password reset procedures in order to set up an initial password. No big deal.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat (not much longer)

Don't worry about it. They have planned for this. When they send you your 2012 Membership credentials packet, it will include a blank sheet of paper UPON WHICH you will NOT BE ABLE TO see your Pin # ... but it will have the new "Globe" LOGO.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Sykes
... or create and link a OnePass account now and preemptively set up a pin.
Too late to link the accounts now.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:15 am

So they're assigning a PIN which is kept secret from the person who is required to use it?
If you previously created a co.com account and have your co.com account number and PIN, and linked them, then you already have your new (3/3) mileage plus account number and PIN.

But if not, then you are correct. Nothing you can do about that, except use your existing MP#/password to login to change it after they go live.

You can try it on the preview site now.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 25, 2012 at 1:45 am
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Ok, stupid questions:

1. The PIN is different from the password, right?
2. If so, why do we need both?
3. I'm correct in assuming that come March 3 the CO password will remain, while the old UA password will be useless, right?

Thanks for any clarification.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
1. The PIN is different from the password, right? ...
yes
...2. If so, why do we need both? ...
this will enable you to perform some actions with an agent without comprising your password. You will be able to authorize sponsored upgrades on the phone with needing to go to an airport (as required PMUA).
...3. I'm correct in assuming that come March 3 the CO password will remain, while the old UA password will be useless, right?....
incorrect, if you had an exiting MP account, that password will take precedence.
The facts about MileagePlus account numbers, PINs and passwords
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much, WC! Your answers are actually clearer than some of the info at the PIN/Password page!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think they would do it like a bank and the PIN on a new debit card. It gets mailed to you in a separate mailing, or first time you login with your password it has you designate a PIN. I doubt very much they would set the PIN themselves and not give you anyway to find out what it is.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I seem to recall that any system where I needed a PIN, there was always a short time period where said PIN value was unknown to me. Like Baze said, for banks the SOP seems to be to send the PIN in a separate (and usually later) mailing than the new card.

And honestly. If you don't know to look for a "lost PIN" option, what are you doing on the internet ?
I guess the concern would be those cases where the passenger never knew they needed (or had) a PIN until calling an agent. I wonder if the agent can access the acct w/o the PIN ... a PIN being the easiest way to "confirm identity" ... failing a PIN, the agent can ask other questions to confirm identity.
If the agent needs the PIN, then I'd hope they can request one on the spot and the customer is out-of-luck until they can access their e-mail.

I'm sorry. But IMHO, this thread is just another "the sky is falling" thread, even though we don't know yet if this will really be an issue. A computer transition of this large of a scale is going to have enough bumps in the road as it is. We don't need to be dreaming up problems.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve64
I seem to recall that any system where I needed a PIN, there was always a short time period where said PIN value was unknown to me. Like Baze said, for banks the SOP seems to be to send the PIN in a separate (and usually later) mailing than the new card.

And honestly. If you don't know to look for a "lost PIN" option, what are you doing on the internet ?
I guess the concern would be those cases where the passenger never knew they needed (or had) a PIN until calling an agent. I wonder if the agent can access the acct w/o the PIN ... a PIN being the easiest way to "confirm identity" ... failing a PIN, the agent can ask other questions to confirm identity.
If the agent needs the PIN, then I'd hope they can request one on the spot and the customer is out-of-luck until they can access their e-mail.

I'm sorry. But IMHO, this thread is just another "the sky is falling" thread, even though we don't know yet if this will really be an issue. A computer transition of this large of a scale is going to have enough bumps in the road as it is. We don't need to be dreaming up problems.
Having worked in a call center for 6 weeks on a temp job I can verify there are many ways to verify identity. So not having your pin would just force them to ask you more questions to verify your identity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.