Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover, in addition to the destination, is permitted (an unlimited number of stops less than 24hours is allowable).

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted. These must be at the stopover, destination or origin.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: Yes. The rule that prohibited crossing both oceans appears to have been removed from both MP and *A award rules. There are many many successful examples of people booking these itineraries.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a free one-way I can get on awards?
A: The concept of free one-ways is a misnomer and often confuses people, it is better to consider it a stopover in the city of origin. If you have a simple roundtrip award without a stopover, you can often create a stopover and open-jaw at your origin on the return leg to add an addition flight. E.g. I wish to book EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR which is a roundtrip US-Europe award. I could also book this as EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR (stopover)-SFO for the same mileage (and a few dollars of extra tax). The EWR segment would need to be within 330 days of booking and would be subject to the usual change fees.

Other notes:
  • The open-jaw portion must be smaller (in miles) than any other leg. -While technically true for revenue fare construction this is not strictly enforced on awards.
  • For awards between CONUS/Canada/Alaska and South Asia award regions the maximum number of segments is 5 segments each way on a round-trip and 4 segments on a one-way. (Note that many FTers report recently being read a memo that imposes an eight segment maximum on a roundtrip (4 each way). It is unclear whether this eight-segment maximum is limited to South Asia routings through Europe or North Asia, or has broader application.)
  • Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA
Print Wikipost

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I'm confused. Do you have a return flight booked, or do you just have a one way? If you just have a one-way and are planning on booking a separate one-way for the return, you won't get any stopovers. Stopovers are only on RT awards.
Yes, I will be booking a return - Just waiting on the 14 day window for flights to
open up, but I will book some return onto the same res before departure, so its all on one PNR and considered a return.

This is what I was have managed to book:
Outbound:
LAX-BOS-MUC (stop under 24 hrs) - FRA - NRT 67,500

Inbound: (will book before departure)
NRT-MUC (Stop for 3-5 days) - LAX 67,500

For the outbound, I was hoping to change that to:
LAX-DFW-FRA-MUC (stop under 24 hrs) - FRA - NRT
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:48 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Hypothetically if I am able to find award space on a segment by segment search, if my route is within what United allows, I should have no problem booking this over the phone. Right?

I'm thinking LAX/SFO-MUC (stop under 24 hours), MUC-FRA (Destination? 7 Days) then FRA-BKK (less than 24 hours), BKK-NRT (7 Days), NRT-LAX/SFO

Will this work? I'm guessing availability out of LAX/SFO is going to be tough... would it be better to fly from another "home airport"? Suggestions would be great!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Hypothetically if I am able to find award space on a segment by segment search, if my route is within what United allows, I should have no problem booking this over the phone. Right?

I'm thinking LAX/SFO-MUC (stop under 24 hours), MUC-FRA (Destination? 7 Days) then FRA-BKK (less than 24 hours), BKK-NRT (7 Days), NRT-LAX/SFO

Will this work? I'm guessing availability out of LAX/SFO is going to be tough... would it be better to fly from another "home airport"? Suggestions would be great!
This used to be easy to book, but recent reports suggested routing via South Asia when going to North Asia can be problematic. The latest 20 messages in this thread had covered this issue (or even post #2281). You can still try your luck and of course please report back!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Dad to GO

should work, have done it recently
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:20 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by exmike
should work, have done it recently
Thanks... I'm planning to go next year during the holidays so I'll need to wait before I book but I wanted to get all of my "ducks in a row" before I go and book.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:54 am

I have tried to book a one way ticket from ORD to BKK using United miles for several days but I could not figure out what I did wrong.

When I booked a one way ticket from ORD to BKK (transit at NRT), it showed 32,500 miles for me.

However, I want to stop over at NRT so I used multiple destination and booked ORD to NRT and NRT to BKK. It showed 47,500 miles for me in this case.

In both case, ORD to NRT is operated by UA and NRT to BKK is operated by ANA.

Can I do anything to get a free stop over at NRT?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by godsquare
I have tried to book a one way ticket from ORD to BKK using United miles for several days but I could not figure out what I did wrong.

When I booked a one way ticket from ORD to BKK (transit at NRT), it showed 32,500 miles for me.

However, I want to stop over at NRT so I used multiple destination and booked ORD to NRT and NRT to BKK. It showed 47,500 miles for me in this case.

In both case, ORD to NRT is operated by UA and NRT to BKK is operated by ANA.

Can I do anything to get a free stop over at NRT?
No stop over for one way ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:49 am

valid routing?

I'm trying to book C class Japan-North America RT with Europe stopover.

NRT-TPE-CDG (stopover and open jaw)
LHR-YYZ (destination)
YYZ-ORD-NRT

Can I do open jaw at the stopover like this? Thanks in advance for help!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
When booking an award US-SE Asia on the phone (route too tricky for .com), it seems that half the people realize it's legal to head e.g. JFK-HKG over the Pacific, yet stop over in say LHR on the way back; the other half decide this must be a (much pricier) round-the-world award and shunt you immediately to the "Alliance Desk" in darkest Utah.

I believe I read elsewhere in this thread that some memo went out recently limiting the number of segments allowed on a US-Asia RT award that crossed both oceans. I'd think the existence of this memo would prove that it's legal to do this. Is there some reference to this memo I can point out to a disbelieving agent, instead of using the HUACA method (which worked this time but can get irksome)?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:51 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
CONUS to Hawaii: Two Regions...Max Connection Time?

What is the maximum allowable connection time between the Continental US and Hawaii.

I'm seeing a flight connection with ~10hrs in PHX - which for International would be fine...but not sure what the limit is for 'hybrid' region Hawaii - which is kind of domestic where by rule there is a 4 hour maximum.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by cchuang1980
No stop over for one way ticket.
Thanks !!

I tried to book a multi-destination round trip like this

1) ORD -> NRT
2) NRT -> BKK
3) BKK -> ORD
4) ORD -> SFO

It gave me an error. My guess is that because there is no direct flight between BKK -> ORD so I could not take an advantage of an open jaw to get a free one-way right?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:13 pm

Should I Keep Trying...?

I have the following economy saver award ticket booked...

RDU-IAD-IST Departing evening of 5/18 and arriving afternoon of 5/19

IST-NAP on 5/26

NAP-MUC-GVA all on 6/1

which priced out at 42,500 miles.

The fare calculation is as follows...

/FC RDU UA X/WAS TK IST TK NAP 0.00YSM/YC52 LH X/MUC LH GVA 0.00YSM/YC52G USD 0.00 END XT5.00AY15.00TR3.10EX9.00HB13.70IT1.10MJ4.60VT22.4 0RA

I don't understand everything in this fare calculation, but my assumption was that this was a round trip ticket with one stopover (IST), NAP as the destination, and one open jaw (start RDU, end GVA) which prices at 42.5K miles because ecconomy saver awards are 30K from RDU to NAP and 12.5K NAP to GVA.

I have twice tried to change the reservation to add a second open jaw at IST by adding a segment from IST to SZF on 5/19 and keeping everything else on the itinerary the same. The first time I tried the agent put me on hold and came back and said I could not do so because I am only allowed one open jaw, which goes against info in the Wiki on this thread and others' experience.

When I tried again a week later, the agent put me on hold and came back and said I could not add a stopover because this was a one-way ticket. This doesn't make sense because one-way tickets do not allow stopovers and it would seem I have a stopover either in IST or NAP. If this is not a round trip, then I should have been charged 30K RDU to IST, 12.5K IST to NAP, and 12.5K NAP to GVA or 55K instead of 42.5K award miles, correct? I didn't push the issue very hard with either agent as I was worried they might find something wrong with the routing I already have ticketed.

What does the fare description indicate as far as one way vs. round trip and, if I have a stopover, is IST the stopover and NAP the destination, or is IST the destination and NAP the stopover?

Should I be able to add the leg from IST to SZF?

Last edited by zink88; Nov 16, 2013 at 4:21 pm
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:39 pm

Thanks !!

I tried to book a multi-destination round trip like this

1) ORD -> NRT
2) NRT -> BKK
3) BKK -> ORD
4) ORD -> SFO

It gave me an error. My guess is that because there is no direct flight between BKK -> ORD so I could not take an advantage of an open jaw to get a free one-way right?
No, it only means united.com is broken. Just book whatever you can on the .bomb and call in to change in 24 hr.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by cchuang1980
No, it only means united.com is broken. Just book whatever you can on the .bomb and call in to change in 24 hr.
Thank you.

What do you mean by "on the .bomb" ?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
What do you mean by "on the .bomb" ?
It's a nickname for united.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.