Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Valid United *A Intra-Europe Award redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes

Will be traveling in Europe late summer/early Fall - Sept 2012/early Oct 2012 and wondering if this is a valid routing for an intra-europe award.

One-way Saver - 12.5k
FNC - Funchal, Madeira - KEF Keflavik, Iceland on some combination of TAP, Lauda Air/Austrian or Lufthansa or SAS...could transit thru Vienna or Germany or Oslo.

One possibility showing up in *A Travel Timetable -- FNC-LIS-OSL-KEF

One-way Saver - 12.5
KEF - TFS Tenerife South, Canary Islands as above combination

Maybe? KEF-OSL-VIEnna-TFS

Is Intra-Europe award travel valid with multiple carriers? (I presume yes, is there a max # of transits?)

Can I arrange my flights to have a longer <24 hour transit - to say prowl around Oslo or Vienna?

Have used Continental OnePass miles for partner awards (Flying over on Lufthansa), but how is the success rate with United MP miles on *A partners?
The same?

Have read about how it is generally more difficult. And a call to United a couple of months ago to the Continental desk seemed to get better results than the United desk with my OnePass miles.

The United web award interface definitely leaves something to be desired (Over Continental or AA for that matter)

Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Will be traveling in Europe late summer/early Fall - Sept 2012/early Oct 2012 and wondering if this is a valid routing for an intra-europe award.

One-way Saver - 12.5k
FNC - Funchal, Madeira - KEF Keflavik, Iceland on some combination of TAP, Lauda Air/Austrian or Lufthansa or SAS...could transit thru Vienna or Germany or Oslo.

One possibility showing up in *A Travel Timetable -- FNC-LIS-OSL-KEF

One-way Saver - 12.5
KEF - TFS Tenerife South, Canary Islands as above combination

Maybe? KEF-OSL-VIEnna-TFS
Nice routes! ^ While I don't know the MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage) for these routes, I can't imagine you can get from FNC to KEF is fewer miles, so I'll bet you're all right.

Is Intra-Europe award travel valid with multiple carriers? (I presume yes, is there a max # of transits?)
Yes to multiple carriers. As to the max number of transits, my guess is that if you tried to do more than four, some questions would start to be asked. You certainly couldn't book this online without some difficulty.

Can I arrange my flights to have a longer <24 hour transit - to say prowl around Oslo or Vienna?
As long as you're under 24 hours, you're fine. In theory, you could fly FNC-LIS-OSL-KEF with overnights in both LIS and OSL.

Is this really a one-way, or are you coming back? I ask because as a one-way you don't get a > 24 hour stopover, but as part of a round-trip, you do. Not sure if that matters to you, though.

Have used Continental OnePass miles for partner awards (Flying over on Lufthansa), but how is the success rate with United MP miles on *A partners?
The same?

Have read about how it is generally more difficult. And a call to United a couple of months ago to the Continental desk seemed to get better results than the United desk with my OnePass miles.
At this point it should all be the same, unless you're including UA/CO metal in your itin (which you're not).

The United web award interface definitely leaves something to be desired (Over Continental or AA for that matter)
Forget UA with this one. CO is the way to go.

(By the wa, FWIW, on co.com I only see a handful of dates in early September with FNC-KEF availability -- nothing in October -- and mostly at the 20K RDM level for Biz. Frankly I think the extra 7,500 miles is worth it to fly four segments in C, but that's just me.)
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

as219 you gave an awesome answer thanks!

As for the routing, yea, after I thought about it, I was thinking, yeah..this is a good use of miles if it's available!

Although I am thinking (More like probable) of going to the Lofoten Islands instead of Iceland. Iceland may get more attention, but Lofoten looks incredible, and more appealing for this trip. Iceland may have to wait. One of my main goals is to see the Northern Lights. Both will do, but weather to see it is warmer in Lofoten due to the Gulf Stream from what I'm reading and it is at a slightly higher latitude...so better viewing?

Hiking is on the menu too and that looks more exciting in Lofoten (EVE). Though there are icebergs/waterfalls/blue lagoon etc...in Iceland...so I think either place is a "no lose" option! ^

http://www.walkopedia.net/walks/disp....asp?WalkID=23

N. Lights from Lofoten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZeq6EjNkc

Yeah, I am thinking this is another call-in, I didn't even bother with looking online yet - just the *A timetable. I've read business on TAP, SAS domestic isn't too special...so would prefer economy...don't have that many miles to burn anyway. But maybe it sounds like I might have to do business for availability purposes...but we'll see in a few months when I'm ready to book.

It is 2 one-ways, because the departure is Madeira, the return is to Tenerife. Don't need a stopover, but < 24 hour transits would be perfect. After reading ur email I've got a couple tentative routes already lined up, easier going to EVE because more flights than KEF.

As for the <24 hr transits -- on the way to Madeira from the USA I've got 12 hrs in Frankfurt (Perfect for the thermal spas nearby - Wiesbaden (Kaiser Friedrich) and Bad Homburg) and almost 24 hrs in Lisbon (Perfect, as I already know the city and can tour some hiking areas / coastline around the city). I didn't even plan it this way originally...but a schedule change on TAPs part made me come up with it...all the better.

Now...I've just got to figure how to pack for a cold and warm destination!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

One more question --does UA MileagePlus pass thru charges for fuel & security? I assume I'm on the hook for these Passenger Service Charges...but
the fuel surcharge...yikes!

Was just pricing out LIS-EVE on SAS website just to see that portion and of an almost $700 fare:

Passenger Charge36.81 USD
Fuel and Security Surcharge 244.48 USD
Security Tax (International)5.30 USD
Passenger Service Charge - Intl49.90 USD
Passenger Service Charge - Intl. 10.48 USD

Total:346.97 USD

Yikes!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
One more question --does UA MileagePlus pass thru charges for fuel & security? I assume I'm on the hook for these Passenger Service Charges...but
the fuel surcharge...yikes!

Was just pricing out LIS-EVE on SAS website just to see that portion and of an almost $700 fare:

Passenger Charge36.81 USD
Fuel and Security Surcharge 244.48 USD
Security Tax (International)5.30 USD
Passenger Service Charge - Intl49.90 USD
Passenger Service Charge - Intl. 10.48 USD

Total:346.97 USD

Yikes!
No Fuel surcharges are passed (not yet at least) for an award ticket using UA miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.