Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United lounge access when flying award ticket with inherited status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United lounge access when flying award ticket with inherited status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by craz
Although this may be true, the person you were answering was asking about TLV in particular.
Including to TLV so at a UA club in EWR. :-:

Still very unlikely to get in at either end.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
Including to TLV so at a UA club in EWR. :-:

Still very unlikely to get in at either end.
My bad, I just looked at that post again and have no idea how I missed the to/from TLV . I think I saw that they were TLV based and thought they were asking about TLV.

EWR I have to hand over my ID and BP and they scan the BP , so if the BP is coded with the needed status to gain access it may work but most likely it will all be KOed if trying to bring in a guest = 2 people who shouldn't have gained any access. But strange things have happened in the past.

Nothing to lose by trying just don't get upset if they deny access. I think EWR may be the easier of the 2 since the right status affords access, while TLV not being a UA club I highly doubt w/o the paper Invite to turn in will allow entry unless the person hands over a CC to be charged. I take it the carriers 2 TLV end up paying the club based on the Invites being turned in for payment, while a UA Club they don't have to pay any 3rd party so a person may be able to slip by
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Stopped by the UA check-in counters even thou I was running alittle late, Tues morn @ TLV.

I asked the agent besides a person flying in BF who is entitled to obtaining an Invite to the Dan Lounge. She said Golds and higher. When I asked if they can bring in any guests and if they need to be on the same PNR, she said no guests, then the agent next to her chimed in and said yes 1 guest but the same PNR. Then the guy told them both in Hebrew they were both wrong and any Gold or above can bring in 1 guest

So it seems the correct answer is Gold + can bring 1 guest. however it may be a YMMV issue if the agent checking you in is aware of that

For the OP as long as they dont check to make sure the person to whom you gave an award tkt doesnt have the status themselves you should be able to get all 4 of you in

When I then went over to AC to check-in I was handed an Invite (as a *G) w/o having to ask for it
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Thanks Craz, as that is helpful

I was actually asking about the United Club in EWR as i will be flying through EWR on my way to/from TLV.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by craz
Stopped by the UA check-in counters even thou I was running alittle late, Tues morn @ TLV.

I asked the agent besides a person flying in BF who is entitled to obtaining an Invite to the Dan Lounge. She said Golds and higher. When I asked if they can bring in any guests and if they need to be on the same PNR, she said no guests, then the agent next to her chimed in and said yes 1 guest but the same PNR. Then the guy told them both in Hebrew they were both wrong and any Gold or above can bring in 1 guest

So it seems the correct answer is Gold + can bring 1 guest. however it may be a YMMV issue if the agent checking you in is aware of that

For the OP as long as they dont check to make sure the person to whom you gave an award tkt doesnt have the status themselves you should be able to get all 4 of you in

When I then went over to AC to check-in I was handed an Invite (as a *G) w/o having to ask for it
Star alliance rules mandate passenger + 1 guest if a *G, but pax only if in premium cabin. However, these rules specifically mention Star Alliance carrier lounge, so not 100% sure if the carrier has discretion for access at contract lounges like in TLV.

As for my experience this past Sunday in TLV - I (*G) was flying out in TK Y, while my dad was flying AC J and my sister AC Y. On check in, my dad got a pass for him + 1 - though I'm pretty sure that was an exception rather than what the AC rules mandate. Meanwhile, I asked for a +1 so my sister could get in, not knowing that AC had given her a pass. TK had no problem to do that, however, they were out of passes and wrote all the info. on my BP - I guess they are used to that since the lounge agent took a photocopy of my BP (assuming it was needed for reimbursement) and then welcomed me in.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Star alliance rules mandate passenger + 1 guest if a *G, but pax only if in premium cabin. However, these rules specifically mention Star Alliance carrier lounge, so not 100% sure if the carrier has discretion for access at contract lounges like in TLV.

As for my experience this past Sunday in TLV - I (*G) was flying out in TK Y, while my dad was flying AC J and my sister AC Y. On check in, my dad got a pass for him + 1 - though I'm pretty sure that was an exception rather than what the AC rules mandate. Meanwhile, I asked for a +1 so my sister could get in, not knowing that AC had given her a pass. TK had no problem to do that, however, they were out of passes and wrote all the info. on my BP - I guess they are used to that since the lounge agent took a photocopy of my BP (assuming it was needed for reimbursement) and then welcomed me in.
Now Im wondering if they went from a per person payment to say a yearly (or whatever period) of a sum payment no matter how many people they send in.

Since @ TLV its not a Carriers lounge or a *A lounge Im still very surprised that they would give anyone other then the passenger an Invite and that includes even 1Ks or GSs whom arent in BF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.