Wiki Posts
Search

Searching for NH/*A Upgrade space

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA G
Searching for NH/*A Upgrade space

I'm thinking about buying a NRT-SFO ticket on ANA in an upgradable fareclass and using UA miles to upgrade. 1K says they don't know if there's upgrade space until after I buy the ticket... which sucks, since there's a $100 cxl fee.

Is there a way to search for availability before putting up the bucks?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Upgrades come from the same bucket as awards in the *A system. You're looking for a C award seat (aka I bucket) if you're going to buy a Y or B fare and F award seat (O) if you are buying C or D. Also keep in mind that they should have a 24-hour cancellation policy in play; I'm pretty sure that is one of the new requirements from the feds that started this week.

Do the Y/B/C/D fares really have a cancellation fee?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:20 am

The way you can check for space on ANA is to get an ANA mileage account and then search their website for space. The site requires you to have some mileage in the account, so I credited a car rental to it, but some people have posted ways to work around this.

That said, I have rarely seen F/C award space open up until close to departure.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Orwaid
The way you can check for space on ANA is to get an ANA mileage account and then search their website for space. The site requires you to have some mileage in the account, so I credited a car rental to it, but some people have posted ways to work around this.

That said, I have rarely seen F/C award space open up until close to departure.
I wouldn't search directly on the ANA site as that's not necessarily award inventory available to partners. Aeroplan or continental.com can provide a view of what partner inventory looks like.

And the easiest workaround on the ANA site is to search for GMP-HND and then click the button at the bottom to use *A partners.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:13 am

Where do you purchase the initial fare-upgradable ticket? Y/B C/D from any site (even online 3rd party) or does it have to be from ANA directly - and then use your *A miles from your account?

sorry - never done this before!

thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by andylogan
Where do you purchase the initial fare-upgradable ticket?
Doesn't matter where you buy it from but it must be coded on the native carrier metal, not on a codeshare.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:18 pm

great thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:53 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Is there a way to check availability of a upgrade on NH?

Is there a way to check availability of a upgrade on NH? I want to use my UA to do a *A upgrade, but there needs to be space available for it to work.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:08 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jason8612
Is there a way to check availability of a upgrade on NH? I want to use my UA to do a *A upgrade, but there needs to be space available for it to work.
You probably want to check with UA for availability?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check to see on the NH homepage if there is C award. If so they use the same inventory for upgrades
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:26 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by fumitani
Check to see on the NH homepage if there is C award. If so they use the same inventory for upgrades
Is that the same inventory UA let its members see?

Last edited by JALPak; Jul 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
Is that the same inventory UA let its members see?
sometimes yes and sometimes no...

FYI NH premium members get a bit more inventory
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:45 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Ok this might be a stupid question but where on the ana home page is the option to do a award search?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by fumitani
If using partner miles it would be better to search using United, Aeroplan or another partner interface. That will show what the partners have access to.

If you're looking for Y->C then you need I inventory, just like a regular biz award. And you need to be on a Y or B fare to use miles for the upgrade.

You can use the regular United.com award search page to see if the inventory is available. If you want to set something up to monitor for award space and alert you should it open one of many options is the tool I built for Star Alliance award alerts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.