Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

per UA Insider: 3MM = 6 GPUs + 2 RPUs @ start of 2015; 2MM = 2 RPUs @ start of 2015*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
UA Insider has confirmed the 6 annual GPUs are part of the 3MM program (and the 2 annual RPUs as part of the 2MM program) in the following posts:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
All 3 Million Milers in the new program will indeed receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of the year, unless they were already earned by flying 100K PQM/120 PQS. Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by flying 75K PQM/90 PQS.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines
Hi SFO_FT, just to confirm, the information that was shared back in September is correct. Specifically, 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of each year unless they were already earned by reaching the 100K PQM threshold. Similarly, 2 Million Miles will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by reaching the 75K PQM threshold. (I should add the disclaimer that when I say each year, this could change in future years.)

As can happen at times, this is one area where we answered the direct question here on FlyerTalk which included details that have not yet been explicitly called out in reference materials used by my front line colleagues. Understandably, this is not optimal. We try to do a very good job of coordinating to make sure everyone has the same information. But, given the extraordinary number of policy, process and program changes that are taking place, these specific benefits have not yet been a focused area of concentration. We are taking steps to make sure this information is clear and available and apologize for any confusion.

Separately, we're definitely committed to paying close attention to the conversations here on FlyerTalk. If we do share information here that is not correct, we’ll always quickly respond with an update. To be safe, I should probably add another disclaimer. Once a post becomes too old (say 18 months or so) we’d likely not update it. So, if you run across anything we’ve posted from years back, it’s always good to revive it to see if anything has changed.

As always, thank you for the feedback!

Shannon
Hi everyone,

Given that there are some questions out there, I wanted to provide some clarification on this topic. All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria. Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
(emphasis added)
Print Wikipost

per UA Insider: 3MM = 6 GPUs + 2 RPUs @ start of 2015; 2MM = 2 RPUs @ start of 2015*

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Actually, I don't believe that the 3MM designation means that one is also a 2MM or 1MM designation. Similar to the fact that a 1K (who is entitled to 3 free checked bags) is not also by definition a PremExec (who is entitled to 3 bags, I think) -- 1K's don't get 6 free checked bags.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: United 1K 3MM
Originally Posted by pdx1M
I agree that they don't incentivize current travel at any level with the MM program. That is why I have always thought that they should use the MM program to mostly pre-seed you EQM balance every year. Ideally do this at 100% of the MM level (i.e., at 50K if you are a 1MM, 75K if a 2MM, . . .) This would incentivize flying (50K to make 1K for a MM), it would incentivize upgrades (50K gets 2 SWU for a 3MM since they get their first 6 at their starting seed number). No need for special casing things - everything just works. If they wanted to be cheap (as they probably would) they could set the pre-seeds at less than 100%, e.g., 40K for 1MM, 65K for 2MM, 85K for 3MM) but then they would have to special case the upgrades since the 3MM flyer is still to get their 6 for being 1K. A program structured like this would be much more self regulating over time (no issue with special promises, other than perhaps the spouse thing). If you change the tier levels or the benefits at the tier levels the MMs (at least in the 100% case) get whatever their pre-seed value entitled them to - i.e., the "promise" is to credit a MM flyer with 50K EQMs at the start of every program year - nothing more or less. Plenty of incentive for the long term and plenty of short term incentive as well. Ah well - we can dream.
+1. We should make a concerted effort to push for this formula. UACO will keep dangling extra (albeit devalued) GPU every 50K miles to keep the 3MM flyers flying. This will also provide a soft landing for the 1MM flyers, needing only 25K miles to get 2 RPU each year. The 2MM flyers will be seeded 75K miles for an immediate 2 RPU for life.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hey. Stop counting like that. I can make 3MM but the idea that 4MM would take me 40 years I almost too much to think of.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Titanium Elite
I reached 3.3 Million after the recent adjustmenrt (2.7M before). It took me about 15 years - clearly I need to get a life. Now if I get to 4M in the next couple of years life will be good ! (GS) !!!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Actually, I don't believe that the 3MM designation means that one is also a 2MM or 1MM designation. Similar to the fact that a 1K (who is entitled to 3 free checked bags) is not also by definition a PremExec (who is entitled to 3 bags, I think) -- 1K's don't get 6 free checked bags.
Well a 1K gets 2 CR1s when he earns 75K EQMs, so your analogy is false.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by rs231
I reached 3.3 Million after the recent adjustmenrt (2.7M before). It took me about 15 years - clearly I need to get a life. Now if I get to 4M in the next couple of years life will be good ! (GS) !!!
If you are doing 350k each year (to reach 4M in the next 2 years), it is a wonder UA doesn't already have you as a GS ? ? ?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mre5765
Well a 1K gets 2 CR1s when he earns 75K EQMs, so your analogy is false.
Also that used to be very different under earlier promises .... so why invest into such an unreliable partner as SmisekAir has become?

I am a 2.5MM and have very little ambition to push my earning over the 3MM mark as I see nothing offered there. Nothing tangible at least.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Bolding mine That makes it sound as though UA Insider rarely interacts here
Being quite active on the LY board, and on-again-off-again by by BA, I definitely see the difference. I've also seen the DL rep's posts on the DL board, and it's simply different worlds. With all the argument over PMCO versus PMUA and which one brought better changes, this has to be a good change for PMUA and a staus quo for PMCO - the benefit of formerly CO Insider now UA Insider. Scott/Shannon give detailed posts, and do monitor threads, answer questions, and are accessible via PM, and make sure we know the truth, and in advance. They are definite assets! I completely recognize their value, and am quite appreciative!
+1^^
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
I disagree. Anyone with 2.5MM to under 3MM miles has motivation to fly UA in order to get lifetime 1K: 3 round trip long hauls per year in business class at economy class prices.

Anyone with 3MM to under 4MM miles has motivation to fly UA in order to get lifetime GS: essentially guaranteed upgrades for life on domestic flights, and special treatment for irrops. And at 4MM and beyond, why fly any revenue flight on anything but UA metal, unless it is somewhere UA doesn't fly with a premium cabin?
Fully agree!

I am also not too worried about overpopulation: There will be a drop-out rate for older folks, who stop travelling and eventually get into the ultimate mileage heaven!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:21 am
iwc

I am reviving this thread because there is a question whether 3MM will continue to receive 6 GPU if they do not fly 100K. Despite what Shannon and Aarron have publicly stated, the benefit does not appear to be in the Mileage Plus Service Center documentation and is denied by both multiple mileage plus agents and supervisors.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
I would love to know too. Very confused on this policy.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by lax2jfk2lax
I would love to know too. Very confused on this policy.
And does your designated significant other get them, too (I know, I'm dreaming...)?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:23 pm
iwc

Originally Posted by JDT1955
And does your designated significant other get them, too (I know, I'm dreaming...)?
That policy is well settled. Companion does not get 6 GPU, only the status.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by iwc
That policy is well settled. Companion does not get 6 GPU, only the status.
Fortunately, she's 1K in her own right...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I am also concerned about this policy. I am Lifetime Platinum (>2MM ) and did not receive my 2RPU for 2013. I have been told by MP three different times this year that I am not entitled to them. Am I wrong about this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.