Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

per UA Insider: 3MM = 6 GPUs + 2 RPUs @ start of 2015; 2MM = 2 RPUs @ start of 2015*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
UA Insider has confirmed the 6 annual GPUs are part of the 3MM program (and the 2 annual RPUs as part of the 2MM program) in the following posts:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
All 3 Million Milers in the new program will indeed receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of the year, unless they were already earned by flying 100K PQM/120 PQS. Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by flying 75K PQM/90 PQS.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines
Hi SFO_FT, just to confirm, the information that was shared back in September is correct. Specifically, 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of each year unless they were already earned by reaching the 100K PQM threshold. Similarly, 2 Million Miles will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by reaching the 75K PQM threshold. (I should add the disclaimer that when I say each year, this could change in future years.)

As can happen at times, this is one area where we answered the direct question here on FlyerTalk which included details that have not yet been explicitly called out in reference materials used by my front line colleagues. Understandably, this is not optimal. We try to do a very good job of coordinating to make sure everyone has the same information. But, given the extraordinary number of policy, process and program changes that are taking place, these specific benefits have not yet been a focused area of concentration. We are taking steps to make sure this information is clear and available and apologize for any confusion.

Separately, we're definitely committed to paying close attention to the conversations here on FlyerTalk. If we do share information here that is not correct, we’ll always quickly respond with an update. To be safe, I should probably add another disclaimer. Once a post becomes too old (say 18 months or so) we’d likely not update it. So, if you run across anything we’ve posted from years back, it’s always good to revive it to see if anything has changed.

As always, thank you for the feedback!

Shannon
Hi everyone,

Given that there are some questions out there, I wanted to provide some clarification on this topic. All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria. Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
(emphasis added)
Print Wikipost

per UA Insider: 3MM = 6 GPUs + 2 RPUs @ start of 2015; 2MM = 2 RPUs @ start of 2015*

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I have 3 GPUs (SWUs) expiring in a couple of weeks and am not sure what the value of these is anymore. I guess if you are taking a vacation and can book long in advance, and be flexible on the day you travel, they will enable you to upgrade an expensive fare.

My assessment as a business traveler is that GPUs are toilet paper at this point. I have not had one confirmed in years and rarely get upgraded on international flights. I suspect this will continue to get worse with the upsells.

I'm 0 for 6 so far this year.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by 1k650
This is rather unequivocal!

Let us not start giving them ideas (of taking away this benefit)..
UACO's upgrade policies might render the GPUs superfluous anyway. If incremental revenue is the only criterion outstations will handle the upgrade priority then GPUs will only start to function again once they also attract a copay .
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The GPUs do have value, I believe, as they can be used for ps flights.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I am in the same situation. Wondering if getting to 3MM has any real sustaining value. I thought 2MM did but look what happened with that.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I emailed 1kvoice and received a reply, in part:

I am unable to confirm or deny whether the rumor you mention is true or not. I have forwarded your email to the Mileage Plus Service Center for response. They have much better resources and are better able to answer your question. A Mileage Plus representative will be in touch with you directly about your issue

We shall see!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Well. Didn't take that long to be disappointed with that level. Cruise control sounds good to me now. Bored with UA.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bldr1k

My assessment as a business traveler is that GPUs are toilet paper at this point. I have not had one confirmed in years and rarely get upgraded on international flights. I suspect this will continue to get worse with the upsells.

I'm 0 for 6 so far this year.
The vast majority of my flying is for work, too, and booked 1-2 weeks out. So I'm in the same boat not able to confirm space well in advance. But I think all the instruments have huge value. I've enjoyed on CO being able to use miles or a regional upgrade to jump ahead of the complimentary upgrades. I'm glad that in the new MP, I'll be able to use RPUs and GPUs to jump ahead of CPUs on tough routes. This has value up to and including the day of departure, at least in my experience with CO, which is how I understand the new program will work.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:30 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Cuse44
Here is the post by UA Insider confirming that GPUs will be awarded every year.
Thanks for posting that Cuse44 -- the thread's been updated to reflect that. ^
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:43 pm

So am I back to being excited?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Cuse44
Here is the post by UA Insider confirming that GPUs will be awarded every year.
The post by UA Insider confirming that GPUs will be awarded every year sounds strangely reminiscent of the FAQ response posted on the United web page promising 1MM flyers that they would continue to receive their 2 Regional Upgrades "for life."

Believe me, I'd like nothing better than to be proven wrong on this, but given what United is doing to its 1MM flyers, I'd be very wary of any promise from UA concerning future benefits beyond the current year.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:16 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The quotes does not say 'each year' it says 'the year' whilst talking about the new program. Unclear whether this is a one off or a rolling benefit year-on-year benefit still I am afraid.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Markie
The quotes does not say 'each year' it says 'the year' whilst talking about the new program. Unclear whether this is a one off or a rolling benefit year-on-year benefit still I am afraid.
Such willful "misunderstanding" from a moderator is shameful. The term absolutely does say "each" for 2MM. It is not a stretch to say it's the same for 3 MM.

All 3 Million Milers in the new program will indeed receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of the year, unless they were already earned by flying 100K PQM/120 PQS. Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by flying 75K PQM/90 PQS.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
UA Insider's post says that GPUs will be awarded at the beginning of "the year," not the beginning of "every year." So that's not a proof that GPUs are an annual benefit.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aacharya
Such willful "misunderstanding" from a moderator is shameful. The term absolutely does say "each" for 2MM. It is not a stretch to say it's the same for 3 MM..

Wait for UA's reading on that one.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:27 am

This is the problem with UA and the new program. They leave too much open for speculation. But with regret I think that is their true intent. Any of this regardless has not kept them from falling back on their promises written in plain English for all to read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.