Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Are Upgrades Becoming Easier or Harder on UA?" Thread [2012/13]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Are Upgrades Becoming Easier or Harder on UA?" Thread [2012/13]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by socal4mich
Am I missing something? I am traveling to LHR in June and every single flight is not upgradable. I tried alternate dates, fare classes and even went out into November. No luck.

This is my first international flight since the reservation switch.

Am frustrated. Any help would be great.
How flexible are you? Are you willing to make a double connection? (I see US-FRA upgrades in June, perhaps other cities as well) What is your origin city, and what is your ideal window of travel?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
You may also consider connecting at Glasgow or Dublin or Manchester to get to London.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
You mean of course not instantly upgradeable. Pick the flight you want and just waitlist.
...and then prepare to fly in economy!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Am I missing something? I am traveling to LHR in June and every single flight is not upgradable. I tried alternate dates, fare classes and even went out into November. No luck.

So fly to another airport. Europe is small, barely bigger than an average Canadian province. Why would you want to subject yourself to LHR's cancer scanner anyway?
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
For it is worth, before LHR had cancer scanners, I found that flights to LHR often had empty seats in J. But I agree, if you want J, then confirm J.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:36 am

You mean of course not instantly upgradeable. Pick the flight you want and just waitlist.
Very bad approach under current conditions.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Welcome to FT! You're unfortunately facing a combination of UA's increasingly restrictive general approach to upgrade availability, the relatively short advance period for seeking it (yes, less than three months can be short for UA), a busy time of year to try bagging an LHR upgrade, and perhaps even the increased traffic driven by the London Olympics.

Of the two options people have offered, I suggest the second in combination with a third that I explain below:

1. Simply wait list to LHR:

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
+1 Simply hoping for an upgrade if it's not available at time of booking will most likely leave you in economy.

2. Find an alternative routing that at least gets you across the Atlantic in J, and for which you can grab the upgrade at time of ticketing:

Originally Posted by zrs70
How flexible are you? Are you willing to make a double connection? (I see US-FRA upgrades in June, perhaps other cities as well) What is your origin city, and what is your ideal window of travel?
Originally Posted by Air Houston
You may also consider connecting at Glasgow or Dublin or Manchester to get to London.
Though there is the obvious drag of having to fly switch flights and fly the short intra-Europe legs in coach (or if you're close enough to London, taking a train for that final leg), this is the surer thing.

3. Join expertflyer.com, a good service that costs about $10/month. It enables you to easily check upgrade availability and, more immediately for your needs, has a function that sends you email alerts if upgrades open up.

If I were you, I'd grab the sure thing via #2 (assuming there are upgrades available to other European destinations) but set alerts via expertflyer. Then, if you get an email alert informing you that something has opened up directly to LHR, you'd have to quickly decide whether to jump on it and call UA. You'd need to consider whether the extra cost of the ticket (in terms of the penalty fee for changing and possibly a more expensive fare to LHR - though if you're lucky the LHR ticket could end up costing less) would be worth if for you.

Hope it all works out!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Sadly, it has been this way for quite a while..
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Very bad approach under current conditions.
Ugh. "Under current conditions" means as much as "in this economy".

I have never had an issue with clearing, and this is as a Premier Gold.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE

You might want to remember a small event called "The Olympics." My office has disruption plans for the entirety of the summer starting from late June.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm now 0/3 on UA flights this year (1/4 if I include a February CO flight). On today's 2:15 PM 319 RDU-IAD I was #6 out of 10 for an upgrade. I spent all last year as a Premier with an abysmal upgrade percentage struggling to make it back to 1P (or whatever I am now) and I still feel like a Premier
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:01 pm

I mean I can't even see any flights, anywhere with available upgrades

I get the olympics, but the site also says the domestic legs are not upgradable. I am trying to go LAX to LHR, but Paris, Dub, FRA are fine as well.

Zippo. Nada. Pre Merger they used to be challenging but with the CA site, I literally get zip.

I guess upgrades are worthless? I even tried other fare classes. Zippo.

Originally Posted by chance88088
You might want to remember a small event called "The Olympics." My office has disruption plans for the entirety of the summer starting from late June.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: UAGLD AA_MM_GLD CO F9 HHGLD
Unhappy COdbaUA sure messed with the world....

I've had two flights in the past week with Mrs. DenverDean, same PNR, the upgrade rules on the website look like Mrs. DenverDean's should clear at the same priority as mine, but both times the COdbaUA agent insisted that the upgrades clear individually based on both members status..... She's just a GM...

What am I missing? Granted I work with guys who would welcome a few hours away from their spouse, I tend to get frustrated when COdbaUA mgmt assume that people traveling together should be split up.....

Anyone else having the same thing happen? (Sorry if I missed some other thread on this topic).

Best Regards,
DenverDean
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by DenverDean
I've had two flights in the past week with Mrs. DenverDean, same PNR, the upgrade rules on the website look like Mrs. DenverDean's should clear at the same priority as mine, but both times the COdbaUA agent insisted that the upgrades clear individually based on both members status..... She's just a GM...

What am I missing? Granted I work with guys who would welcome a few hours away from their spouse, I tend to get frustrated when COdbaUA mgmt assume that people traveling together should be split up.....

Anyone else having the same thing happen? (Sorry if I missed some other thread on this topic).

Best Regards,
DenverDean
Theoretically, you should keep that together as they should clear the windows together. However, if it is within 24 hours and it goes to the airport list (battlefield), then you should separate (upgrades clear indiv. based on their own member's status) but you can add the companion to the list at the airport 3 hours before the flight.

Sounds like they are still following the old PMCO rules. It is also unclear if the above rules are actually working (upgrade lists seems to have other more serious issues at the moment).
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: UAGLD AA_MM_GLD CO F9 HHGLD
Thanks for the info edcho!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Yes after march 3rd i have noticed a drastic change in upgrades it is rough and no fun any more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.