FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Are Upgrades Becoming Easier or Harder on UA?" Thread [2012/13] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1299885-consolidated-upgrades-becoming-easier-harder-ua-thread-2012-13-a.html)

bsmnsr Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am

I've cleared every flight i've been on this year. Granted it's only been 8 of them, but I had a mix of SWU and UDU flights. Of course, being 1K and on United metal helps.

However, the whole upgrade process seems to baffle me because I don't understand how I can be first or second on the upgrade list with 8-10 seats open and be the last person to get an upgrade.

I think the upgrades are a lot like a magic 8 ball these days.

Dsybok Feb 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by bsmnsr (Post 18090879)
However, the whole upgrade process seems to baffle me because I don't understand how I can be first or second on the upgrade list with 8-10 seats open and be the last person to get an upgrade.

I think the upgrades are a lot like a magic 8 ball these days.

Simple, and yet complicated, I believe the avaliable seats list is seats that have not yet checked in. So as people show up to the airport and check in, it shrinks. You can be #1 on the list and have 20 empty seats an hour before the flight, and if all 20 people check in and show up, you are out of luck.

johnmont Feb 28, 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by bsmnsr (Post 18090879)
I've cleared every flight i've been on this year. Granted it's only been 8 of them, but I had a mix of SWU and UDU flights. Of course, being 1K and on United metal helps.

I've cleared 10 segments this year with the exception of a United Express CRJ...which has like one seat or something like that. :) :)

edcho Feb 28, 2012 12:13 am

PDX-IAH yesterday (2/27) had three seats available at the T-24 mark. I stayed at #1 the entire time (due to my fare class) and failed to clear.

I just sat there and watched the seats get gobbled up either via TOD upgrades, IRROPS, or SDC for F pax (who knows?). I knew that there was a chance of that happening. Oh well ... welcome to the new united.

Narendra Feb 28, 2012 12:18 am

Just cleared a DTW-ORD-IAH flight for 2/29, not sure when it officially cleared as I had no notification till I checked online earlier today. Nice surprise because one DTW-IAH flight back in January, I was 17th or so on the upgrade list on a 737!!! Were there really 16 1k and GS members ahead of me on that flight...amazing

Boogie711 Feb 28, 2012 8:27 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 18094806)
PDX-IAH yesterday (2/27) had three seats available at the T-24 mark. I stayed at #1 the entire time (due to my fare class) and failed to clear.

I just sat there and watched the seats get gobbled up either via TOD upgrades, IRROPS, or SDC for F pax (who knows?). I knew that there was a chance of that happening. Oh well ... welcome to the new united.

Hey Edcho - we probably bumped into each other. Same story. I was #1 for the 757 leaving PDX at 2pm to ORD for a full 24 hours. And went to Chicago in Y. I thought with a 757 I'd be golden. Nope.

edcho Feb 28, 2012 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Boogie711 (Post 18096369)
Hey Edcho - we probably bumped into each other. Same story. I was #1 for the 757 leaving PDX at 2pm to ORD for a full 24 hours. And went to Chicago in Y. I thought with a 757 I'd be golden. Nope.

Missed by a few minutes I guess. I had a 12 PM flight.

I just didn't think PDX was elite heavy -- I guess I was wrong when I saw the people pile up behind me.

UA-NYC Feb 28, 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 18097364)
I just didn't think PDX was elite heavy -- I guess I was wrong when I saw the people pile up behind me.

Daily service to five hubs = always going to have plenty of elites

jason8612 Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 18097519)
Daily service to five hubs = always going to have plenty of elites

Even with the recent travel, I'm still 100% UDU. Some hub to hub, but on off days and not early am/pm.
Plenty though gate clear.

tomj888 Feb 28, 2012 12:14 pm

gone are the days....

It seems that if I'm going to be upgraded it only clears at the gate. UA is always a better shot for me. CO metal, I've decided to pay for upgrade if I can't get a seat I like or when going from East to West and I have a longer flight due to the winds. Also, most domestic CO metal are 737's and I don't like them as much as the airbus or 757 UA metal. Anyone share those thoughts?

demosthenes1 Feb 28, 2012 1:01 pm

I expect that in a week, PMUA 1Ks will do much better on CO metal upgrades than we do right now. We currently have the same priority as Platinum, and I think most of those are less than 100,000 miles. Therefore, after March 3, we should be above a whole bunch of people that we are tied with now.

socal4mich Mar 24, 2012 10:20 am

Am 1k with global upgrades: No seats available. Forever...

Am I missing something? I am traveling to LHR in June and every single flight is not upgradable. I tried alternate dates, fare classes and even went out into November. No luck.

This is my first international flight since the reservation switch.

Am frustrated. Any help would be great.

DillMan Mar 24, 2012 10:25 am

June is a pretty busy month for US-LHR travel. As such, upgrades get a bit tougher. I think "forever" is a bit of hyperbole though. There are flights later in the year that have availability right now.

During my UGS time I would just find what appeared to be the best-chance flight and fare-up on it. Sometimes my predictions would be correct and I'd end up upgraded. Other times so large group would mop up the remaining revenue seats and I'd be SOL. It's a bit like gambling when you can't confirm at booking.

I much prefer AA's system. Even though they are a bit more stingy on J-F upgrades on 3 class flights, the ability to buy any fare when upgrading Y-J takes a little of the risk out of the equation when I'm stuck in the back. YMMV.

aacharya Mar 24, 2012 10:26 am

You mean of course not instantly upgradeable. Pick the flight you want and just waitlist.

Boghopper Mar 24, 2012 10:28 am

Originally Posted by socal4mich (Post 18263669)
Am I missing something? I am traveling to LHR in June and every single flight is not upgradable. I tried alternate dates, fare classes and even went out into November. No luck.

This is my first international flight since the reservation switch.

Am frustrated. Any help would be great.

You mean no upgrade inventory available? If so, join the litany of complaints. UA has very limited upgrade inventory for a while now unless you're looking many months out.