FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Are Upgrades Becoming Easier or Harder on UA?" Thread [2012/13] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1299885-consolidated-upgrades-becoming-easier-harder-ua-thread-2012-13-a.html)

djmp Feb 10, 2012 12:12 am

Originally Posted by 1k650 (Post 17987256)
This (UA 900/901) is the most difficult flight in UA's system to upgrade - I challenge you to find any NC seat at any time till end of schedule...

I found 32 flights total for the next 330 days that had any NC availability SFO-FRA.

1k650 Feb 10, 2012 9:19 am

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 17987279)
I found 32 flights total for the next 330 days that had any NC availability SFO-FRA.

Curious - how do you do that without going through one day at a time ? And was this NC space on UA 900/901 or 926/927?

cesco.g Feb 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by 1k650 (Post 17987256)
This (UA 900/901) is the most difficult flight in UA's system to upgrade ...

Agree in a way, whereas I am still debating if its the SFO-FRA or the SFO-HKG run ??

Did you find a pattern, whereas NC was available?
e.g. day of the week, days out ?

sjlin0121 Feb 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Want to know how you did it +1

Thunderroad Feb 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by 1k650 (Post 17988952)
Curious - how do you do that without going through one day at a time ? And was this NC space on UA 900/901 or 926/927?

Perhaps used expertflyer.com, which lets you check a week at a time, plus it's easy to "refine" (as they put it) your search so as to easily check other dates pretty quickly. Plus, not to sound like too much of a shill for the site, these searches indicate how many upgrades are available for any given flight.

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 17990272)
Did you find a pattern, whereas NC was available?
e.g. day of the week, days out ?

Good question. I'd be curious about this too.

Robert N Feb 10, 2012 12:56 pm

I don't regard myself as an amazingly lucky or instinctively brilliant person. I do have some skills, but ...

In any event, I fly Australia - US - and often on to London a lot. I am 1k and about to break 1MM, admittedly this has been helped by a couple of hundred thousand miles I seem to have got from the recent rule changes, by most of my miles are this run and I do it a lot.

In the last 3 years I have failed to be upgraded (to business) once on London - San Francisco and failed once four years ago the other way.

Across the Pacific, I have failed once in the last four years.

Where I can I follow basic rules (avoid weekends, if possible fly to London out of Lax etc) however nothing I do not that is unreasonable to get the benefit of flying business class.

As to this benefit, I think it is pretty damn high. I have flown Singapore business a few times, and I would give a win on the quality of the product, but not by a long way. I think the UAL product is pretty damn good. Economy is rubbish, as I remember it, but as I said, I hardly ever fly it.

Right now I am stranded in London sick, and having had to move my flight home three times while I recover. On the original flight, and each of the changes I have made, upgrades have been confirmed for each sector of the flight home.

I think it is all pretty good and I am a fan of United.

There you are I have said it.

cesco.g Feb 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Robert N (Post 17990293)
In the last 3 years I have failed to be upgraded (to business) once on London - San Francisco and failed once four years ago the other way.

Across the Pacific, I have failed once in the last four years.

That is a pretty good record, Rob! ^
As to fares: What booking class do you typically book in?

CMK10 Feb 10, 2012 1:22 pm

I flew PHX-SFO-IAD-GSO last weekend as a 1P on a K fare. I knew I'd never get SFO-IAD (it was a Sunday redeye A320) but I was very surprised to miss PHX-SFO. I wasn't even close (#8 out of over two dozen when boarding). I've never missed this route before so this was not the welcome back to 1P I was hoping for :(

kb1992 Feb 10, 2012 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 17990370)
That is a pretty good record, Rob! ^
As to fares: What booking class do you typically book in?

Here is my record:

Since 2006, I have taken about 60 flights to and from Asia: HKG/PVG/KIX/ICN/PEK.

About 55 upgrades have been requested. Only one failed to clear: ORD-HKG.

I booked XF ticket to HKG, paid a fee and canceled my revenue ticket. :cool::cool:

I always have flexibility, and book far ahead, most of upgrades were cleared at booking. NC is indeed very hard to find these days.

Life is too short to suffer 15+ hours in horrible UA 747 Y. ;);)

cesco.g Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 17990574)
Since 2006, I have taken about 60 flights to and from Asia: HKG/PVG/KIX/ICN/PEK.

I always have flexibility, and book far ahead, most of upgrades were cleared at booking. NC is indeed very hard to find these days.

Nice record, indeed. How far out is your booking typically?

goingbananas Feb 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 17990574)
Here is my record:

About 55 upgrades have been requested. Only one failed to clear: ORD-HKG.

Mine since 2001 to 2010 (all C to F):

around 120 flights to and from Asia: HKG/BKK/SIN/NRT, another 20% more (or so) to FRA/LHR/EZE/SYD

All cleared.

I have been hearing that C to F on some segments with SWU's are struggling to clear these days. Even GS on a J fare is missing out on the upgrades as well :eek:

kb1992 Feb 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 17990661)
Nice record, indeed. How far out is your booking typically?

Typically, 10 months in advance to secure NC, or 2 weeks in advance to check the C cabin load before booking.

95% of time, upgrade is cleared at booking.

I am always willing to change dates, routings, even destination cities to find positive NC.

Tues/Wed/Thu are the best time to travel.

HKG is the most difficult, followed by PVG and NRT.

The key for my 54/55 upgrade success rate for trans-Pacific flights is flexibility.

By the way, when flying BOS-Europe I don't even bother to upgrade. Just buy the cheapest fare, and sit in exit Y seat.

cesco.g Feb 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 17991021)
Typically, 10 months in advance to secure NC, or 2 weeks in advance to check the C cabin load before booking.

95% of time, upgrade is cleared at booking.

I am always willing to change dates, routings, even destination cities to find positive NC.

Tues/Wed/Thu are the best time to travel.

HKG is the most difficult, followed by PVG and NRT.

The key for my 54/55 upgrade success rate for trans-Pacific flights is flexibility.

By the way, when flying BOS-Europe I don't even bother to upgrade. Just buy the cheapest fare, and sit in exit Y seat.

Nice to have that time-flexibility. :cool:

Agree with HKG. Looking at your East Coast location, you probably have no experience on the SFO-FRA run?

bmvaughn Feb 10, 2012 3:58 pm

SEA-IAH tomorrow morning on a CO 753... 24 seats in F. I am 5th on the list as a 1K with 1 seat left. Only 7 upgrades out of the 23 that are booked into F.

cesco.g Feb 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 17991400)
Only 7 upgrades out of the 23 that are booked into F.

So, all the others are revenue Fs?