Intra-Asia UDU?

Old Dec 30, 11, 5:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Up in the Air
Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Posts: 584
Intra-Asia UDU?

Are Intra-Asia UDUs an official benefit of the 2011 MP program?

The 2012 program lists intra-Asia (Excluding NRT-SIN and HNL-GUM) as a region eligible for CPUs and RPU.

Just curious for my two upcoming trips in Q1/2012
DLP
DLPhoenix is offline  
Old Dec 30, 11, 5:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: HNL
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 1,574
I'm also wondering if my GUM-NRT and NRT-GUM flights are considered intra-asia. Anyone know?
love_to_travel is offline  
Old Dec 30, 11, 5:54 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 551
I am booked NRT-GUM RT as part of a MR I am doing in early January. I am rather annoyed because I am going on UA one direction and CO on the other one and cannot get an UDU on the former but am eligible for one on the latter. Every time I ask UA they continue to play by the old "no UDU out of the 50 states" rule. UA has never had a domestically configured plane outside of the US really so I think it is a matter of them not adjusting their rules. Furthermore, I think it is rather inconsistent to have three flights per day on UACO and have one of them eligible for an u/g while the other two are not, when the flights were eligible (on pure CO metal) before November 1 (and will be after the Q1 system merge).
flying for gold elite is offline  
Old Dec 30, 11, 9:14 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Posts: 2,873
Originally Posted by flying for gold elite View Post
I am booked NRT-GUM RT as part of a MR I am doing in early January. I am rather annoyed because I am going on UA one direction and CO on the other one and cannot get an UDU on the former but am eligible for one on the latter. Every time I ask UA they continue to play by the old "no UDU out of the 50 states" rule. UA has never had a domestically configured plane outside of the US really so I think it is a matter of them not adjusting their rules. Furthermore, I think it is rather inconsistent to have three flights per day on UACO and have one of them eligible for an u/g while the other two are not, when the flights were eligible (on pure CO metal) before November 1 (and will be after the Q1 system merge).
These things take time and UA is operating internationally configured equipment in Asia. Would you rather have no UDU on any flights until everything is ready?
FlyerChrisK is offline  
Old Dec 30, 11, 10:20 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Up in the Air
Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Posts: 584
Originally Posted by flying for gold elite View Post
... Every time I ask UA they continue to play by the old "no UDU out of the 50 states" rule.
This was my experience in NRT last time I have asked.
However, I have seen several posts here referring to intra Asia UDUs.
So far this year I have a 50% upgrade rate on NRT-ICN (3/6) and 50% on NRT-TPE (1/2). All my upgrades appeared to be op-ups ("Mr. DLP the flight was oversold an as a elite passenger we upgraded you to...").
An upgrade on a 759 miles flight will not make much of a difference, but I would hate to learn after the fact that I missed on a benefit.

Happy Travels
DLP
DLPhoenix is offline  
Old Dec 30, 11, 11:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 551
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK View Post
These things take time and UA is operating internationally configured equipment in Asia. Would you rather have no UDU on any flights until everything is ready?
Well when I am flying the seat map shows 2 cabins, UnitedBusiness rows, 1-6 in a 2-2-2 configuration and Y, rows 16-53. According to seatguru and the UA website this is a domestically configured plane. It probably comes from GUM since these plane began replacing the CO 76H on November 1 as I was saying and as has been noted on the PMUA forum. I do think a UDU would be nice considering the equipment is not international J and this route used to be completely upgradeable.
flying for gold elite is offline  
Old Dec 31, 11, 3:41 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,464
Details are here

Originally Posted by DLPhoenix View Post
Are Intra-Asia UDUs an official benefit of the 2011 MP program?

The 2012 program lists intra-Asia (Excluding NRT-SIN and HNL-GUM) as a region eligible for CPUs and RPU.

Just curious for my two upcoming trips in Q1/2012
DLP
malgudi is offline  
Old Dec 31, 11, 6:29 am
  #8  
kkg
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Singapore
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
Posts: 460
I've got UDU SIN-HKG both ways in early Dec.
kkg is offline  
Old Dec 31, 11, 8:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Posts: 2,384
To answer folks questions, if you are flying PMUA intra-Asia (including GUM-NRT) are NOT eligible for UDU until the computer reservation system is officially merged later in Quarter 1 2012. If you are flying PMCO intra-Asia you ARE eligible for EUA (eg. GUM-HNL; NRT-SIN etc...)

Hope that helps to clarify. The next few months will, arguably, be the most frustrating as many of us wait for the 2012 benefits to kick start.
mh3265a is offline  
Old Dec 31, 11, 8:56 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LAX/BOS/HKG/AMS/SFO...hmm, I need a life.
Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 13,316
Originally Posted by mh3265a View Post
To answer folks questions, if you are flying PMUA intra-Asia (including GUM-NRT) are NOT eligible for UDU until the computer reservation system is officially merged later in Quarter 1 2012. If you are flying PMCO intra-Asia you ARE eligible for EUA (eg. GUM-HNL; NRT-SIN etc...)

Hope that helps to clarify. The next few months will, arguably, be the most frustrating as many of us wait for the 2012 benefits to kick start.
That may be but I DID receive several from UA in NRT and was told straight up that they were part of this new benefit because I am a 1K. Y was WIDE open as was J so these were not OP ups. I think the UA staff in NRT either are empowered to just do this or they have already formally started but the UDU intra Asia is working for me on UA. FWIW this was a month and a half ago and I have not been back to Asia on UA since (though I am right now via KE).
avidflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: