Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier Pain Roll Call (who has worst upgrade stats?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes

Was reviewing my flying history on UA/CO for the past year and realized I had a pretty rough year on upgrades. Here's how it shakes out (by segment):

2011 EQMs: 100k+
Upgrades on non-insta upgrade fares (Y/B/M): 16
Sat in Y cabin on insta-upgrade fares (Y/B/M): 12
Sat in Y cabin on non insta-up fares: 60

That's an 18% upgrade rate on segments where I didn't outright buy into the F cabin or weren't upgraded instantly due to fare class purchased.

I'm sure there's worse out there. So who is the Premier of Pain in 2011?

Note: I'm intentionally not breaking this out by UA/CO upgrade stats and it's not my intention to turn this into a "the stickers were better" discussion or have this devolve into a one airline is better than the other.

I paid for the Y cabin every time I sat there, and the airline delivered the product I purchased. I'm not complaining. I'm overall very happy with the operational performance I experienced on both UA and CO flights, which is why I chose to fly them.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Looking at my numbers, I'd say mine are slightly better than yours. I'm around 35% for upgrades spread across both carriers.

Where my stats really stink is the number of times I sat in Y on Y/B/M fares vs. the times I sat in F. Out of 14 instant-upgrade segments only 6 had me in the front cabin.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
As a 1K based in SEA, 60/60 on upgrades (UDU, EUA, CR1, SWU), but twice gave the seats to a family member. I'm going to lose this competition...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Man you guys have some rough stats - frequent hub/hub flights during peak biz times?

0/0 YBM
12/14 UDU/EUA (all sub-900 miles, most of that on UA) - missed a pair of ORD-LGA flights
35/38 using regionals or SWUs domestically (missed DEN-LGA, LAS-EWR, EWR-MEX)
3/3 on SWUs (two were C to F)
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I have only been on UA since October but I am 32/32 with one being a sponsored CR. Domestically I fly LAX-ORD-BOS/MHT for the most part with some ATL and SFO thrown in. Internationally I fly to HKG/ICN/LHR and I am 5/6 for intra-Asia UDUs as well.

OP what routes/times do you fly?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Man you guys have some rough stats - frequent hub/hub flights during peak biz times?
Yes, hub-to-hub for me on work heavy days. My Y/B/M stats are usually last minute on those routes and by then the front cabin is full.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
I'm at the opposite side of the spectrum at about 93% on non YBM and over 95% overall :-)

I've sat in whY on F-equipped CO/UA aircraft (express and mainline) a total of what appears to be 6 times this year out of 84 non-YBM segments. 6x domestic. On YBM, I sat in Y only 1x international (EWR-BCN) and 1 time domestically. 70% of my travel is booked <5 days out. I flew a bunch (about 50) YBM segments and when I book these I usually try to pick flights that still have availability in F so my success rate is largely determined by the flights I choose).

(This does not include times I used mileage to upgrade (once domestic, and about a dozen RTs internationally), or the 3-ish times I gave up my upgrade to loved ones or coworkers).

I wish I had this kind of luck elsewhere in my life...

Last edited by rggale; Dec 29, 2011 at 12:11 pm Reason: added more detail
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yup. Usually purchase tickets within 5 days of travel (hence a lot of Y/B/Ms).

Ya'll are depressing me!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by belynch
Yup. Usually purchase tickets within 5 days of travel (hence a lot of Y/B/Ms).

Ya'll are depressing me!
At least you get the Y/B EQM bonus
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I missed a few flights, from what I can remember:

As a CO Plat, I missed:
CLE-EWR (#6 on the upgrade list, G fare)
SFO-EWR (#3 on the upgrade list, W fare)
EWR-SFO (#23 on the upgrade list, W fare)
Would have missed IAH-SJC (G fare, used buy-up to 1st from #4 on the upgrade list)

As a 1K, I am 100% on UA metal so far using instruments and UDU.

As a CO Plat flying on UA metal before achieving 1K status, I missed:
SFO-DFW A319, #1 on upgrade list
Several ORD-SFO's
SFO-EWR on UA metal
SFO-SAN on UA metal

I think that's it. We'll see what happens in 2012. I definitely feel like CO metal I had crappy luck compared to what I got on AA with transcons on hub-hub routings.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Had to go look up the details...

I had 53 segments on company metal. Seven of those were on single-cabin aircraft. Of the 46 that had a premium cabin available I was up front on 36; 14 of those were instrument supported. Of the 10 I wasn't upgraded 6 were on international routes where I couldn't apply a SWU and 1 was actually an upgrade I received via UDU but gave away once on the plane, so move that into the other column if you so desire.

Of only the UDU/EUA-eligible flights I took there were 31, of which I was up front for 27. I believe 5 of those were covered by SWUs that extended on to the international segments.

All of my SWUs cleared where I chose to apply them and had an eligible fare. Not always at booking but always before I got to OLCI.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Excluding single class aircraft (AKA The Devil's Chariot), on Y/B/M fares, I was 12 for 15. For other fares, I was 11 for 22. Had I not made 1K before my last five non YBM flights, the total for that category would have been lower.

Last edited by halls120; Dec 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Agree with smb12 that you need to remove single class aircraft, since travel patterns are different

Removing, single class aircraft, I was 85% with a combination of UDU and regionals on 46 upgradeable segments
-- there were another 8 single cabin or non-UA/CO (US) flights
Failures 3 SFO<->IAD flights, 2xA319s and 2 UX flights in/out of RDU (booked on short notice)
Had 0 Y/B/M booked fares
0 international segments this year
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
I'm 1/2 since making 2P(eon) last month.

That's bound to go waaaaaayyyyyy down, starting tomorrow (if you count flights on CO metal).
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a pretty terrible year as a 2P.

UA/CO Upgrade Eligible Flights: 30
UA/CO Upgrades Through UDU: 5

Great Percentage at 16%

The flights weren't even anything special either:
UA E70 IAD-RDU
UA 757 SFO-DEN
UA CR7 RDU-ORD
UA 757 ORD-IAD
UA 320 IAD-RDU

The last two were on Y-Fare rebookings too, so my real stats are probably 3/28.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.