Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2011 Elite Status to be Extended to Q1 of 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

Below text taken from the following page: http://www.mileageplusmergerupdates....nefitsExtended

Part of the merger between United and Continental involves converting to a new technology system, late in the first quarter of 2012. At that point, we'll begin delivering the benefits of the 2012 MileagePlus® program. Until then, elite members' 2011 status and benefits will be extended. We will extend the validity of elite credentials as well, so elite members will continue to enjoy their benefits when flying on United and Star Alliance™ member airlines.
In late January, we'll provide more details about this extension period, including the specific expiration date for your 2011 card and status. We'll also have more details to share about when we will send 2012 credentials to qualifying members.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Thanks for the info, UAPremierGuy.

I'm still curious whether those of us with recent status changes will receive new cards before the spring. I only care because I'll need a card for lounge access as a *A Gold.

Will the printable online card suffice until I get the authentic plastic card?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See the first post in the following sticky thread.

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Below text taken from the following page: http://www.mileageplusmergerupdates....nefitsExtended

Part of the merger between United and Continental involves converting to a new technology system, late in the first quarter of 2012. At that point, we'll begin delivering the benefits of the 2012 MileagePlus® program. Until then, elite members' 2011 status and benefits will be extended. We will extend the validity of elite credentials as well, so elite members will continue to enjoy their benefits when flying on United and Star Alliance™ member airlines.
In late January, we'll provide more details about this extension period, including the specific expiration date for your 2011 card and status. We'll also have more details to share about when we will send 2012 credentials to qualifying members.
Seems like a fair enough solution although those that didn't re-qualify for Premiere status in 2012 get a few months bonus. I just wish the system integration wouldn't take so long...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:59 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Materdei
I'm still curious whether those of us with recent status changes will receive new cards before the spring. I only care because I'll need a card for lounge access as a *A Gold.
Indications in some other threads (e.g., Combined EQM Activity--Lag Time between OP and MP? are that cards are still being sent out, with the standard 4-12 week delay.

Originally Posted by Materdei
Will the printable online card suffice until I get the authentic plastic card?
My recent (limited) experiences with your precise situation (*G, no card yet) suggest that YMMVAL (your mileage may vary a lot):
  • United Clubs are no problem. RCCs are happy with your BP, while PCs want to see your card but will accept BP and photo identification.
  • Lufthansa SEN lounge at IAD demanded the card, but was willing to accept my signed and stamped mileage printout. I'm skeptical that the CO printable card would have convinced them, but can't say for sure.
  • Swiss lounge in ZRH just scanned my BP and let me in -- much to my surprise!
  • Maple Leaf lounge in YUL categorically refused to even look at anything other than an authentic plastic card. Literally. As in "No, I won't look at that. We've been getting lambasted by management for letting people in without an official card. You have to talk to United."
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
As per the benefits "Black Hole"

Issues regarding our using CR1s for pre-clearing upgrades on certain CO flights will linger even beyond the 1st quarter e.g. When 2012 benefits come online we can use them on BF flights to HNL, but right now they are not honored. For all practical purposes these often need to be used months in advance in order clear at booking. So, if 2012 benefits come online in late March these seats may not become available to clear in advance until July or later. For me the only alternative for a decent seat/advance upgrade is AA.

It seems it would be a simple fix for UA to just let their CO folks honor CR1s for these flights in 2012 now, but that would be just too customer friendly.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by QBK
My recent (limited) experiences with your precise situation (*G, no card yet) suggest that YMMVAL (your mileage may vary a lot):
  • United Clubs are no problem. RCCs are happy with your BP, while PCs want to see your card but will accept BP and photo identification.
  • Lufthansa SEN lounge at IAD demanded the card, but was willing to accept my signed and stamped mileage printout. I'm skeptical that the CO printable card would have convinced them, but can't say for sure.
  • Swiss lounge in ZRH just scanned my BP and let me in -- much to my surprise!
  • Maple Leaf lounge in YUL categorically refused to even look at anything other than an authentic plastic card. Literally. As in "No, I won't look at that. We've been getting lambasted by management for letting people in without an official card. You have to talk to United."
Also, ANA Business Lounge at Narita just scanned my economy class BP and allowed me in. (I had by card ready, just in case)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
While I don't like the fact that it will keep some folks in the upgrade mix and the priority lanes that wouldn't otherwise be there if the elite benefits weren't extended, I am hopeful that they are making sure this process goes as smoothly as possible-with any potential problems being discovered and alleviated prior to the conversion.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
Also, ANA Business Lounge at Narita just scanned my economy class BP and allowed me in. (I had by card ready, just in case)
Hmm... Every time I was there, my card was always demanded and swiped.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 510k miles, DL 600,000 lifetime
So... this quagmire of millions of premier members at the end of the year won't clear up until the end of Q1.

Brilliant.

Saves UA and CO employees from having to do real work. At the expense of those of us who flew the miles last year.

And are still in competition with these people who didn't.

Nobody sees the issue here. 9 months of benefits instead of 12.

Loverly.

tim in san jose
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: Unites UA Prem Exec, Delta DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
Good for me

This is good for some and not for others.

For me its great because I can continue with 100% bonus miles for a few months before i use status match at Delta. feel united ROYALLY SCREWED all elites except for 1Ks. Because of the 50% REDUCTION in bonus miles I am going to Delta and their status match.

The thing iI still do not understand is this:

The CO gold ( 50 k miles) get 100% bouus miles
The UA Premiere exec ( again 50K Miles) get 100% bonus miles.

Therefore there is no need to make any compromises since they both the same. BUT UA decided to reduce the benefits by a whopping 50% as a random act of screwing.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrMarriott_Com
This is good for some and not for others.

For me its great because I can continue with 100% bonus miles for a few months before i use status match at Delta. feel united ROYALLY SCREWED all elites except for 1Ks. Because of the 50% REDUCTION in bonus miles I am going to Delta and their status match.

The thing iI still do not understand is this:

The CO gold ( 50 k miles) get 100% bouus miles
The UA Premiere exec ( again 50K Miles) get 100% bonus miles.

Therefore there is no need to make any compromises since they both the same. BUT UA decided to reduce the benefits by a whopping 50% as a random act of screwing.
The new UA is trying to take the lead in reducing benefits in hope that other airlines will follow. Given AA is in Chapter 11, I doubt it will follow. Perhaps others will - who knows.

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy

Based on the announcement, I seriously doubt UA will issue stickers to extend the credentials (as some suggested in a different thread). For UA and CO, your status is in the system - no need to issue those stickers. For *G airlines, UA will probably send a memo to all partners explaining that 2011 cards will still be valid until a certain date.

Thoughts?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 28, 2011 at 3:37 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
... For *G airlines, UA will probably send a memo to all partners explaining that 2011 cards will still be valid until a certain date. ...
agree this is more likely than stickers.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by naumank
Based on the announcement, I seriously doubt UA will issue stickers to extend the credentials (as some suggested in a different thread). For UA and CO, your status is in the system - no need to issue those stickers. For *G airlines, UA will probably send a memo to all partners explaining that 2011 cards will still be valid until a certain date.

Thoughts?
My thought is that on February 1, there will be a post in this forum that a 1p, 1k, gs, gold, plat, or pp was denied access to the SEN lounge.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by mre5765
My thought is that on February 1, there will be a post in this forum that a 1p, 1k, gs, gold, plat, or pp was denied access to the SEN lounge.
I think everyone has to agree with this, possibly with the exception of the singular "a post".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.