Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler one-time adjustment 12/31/11 questions/tracking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Million Miler one-time adjustment 12/31/11 questions/tracking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Just did the math based on my past earning history, and my adjustment will be 94,982 PQMs. Not too bad since I've only been collecting miles since I found FT. Should put me at about 260K lifetime miles. About a quarter of the way there...

Chris
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Should be close to 3mm

Expecting about 700k bump from current 2.2mm BIS thanks to *A as well as COS EQM adder. Should be pretty close to 3mm if not just over.

If only they would count the COS bonus from pre 2004 I would have an additional 700 to 800K. I've been pretty loyal to United for over 20 years (mostly business class) and it would be nice to be closer to lifetime GS (that would be real nice in retirement years).
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:29 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I didn't get the impression they would do this calculation ON 12/31/11, just that they would do it sometime in Q1 AS OF 12/31/11...? I'm not expecting my MM welcome message anytime so soon... :S
Originally Posted by JetAway
My impression was that the cut-off date would be 12/31/11 but the actual calculation results could/might be posted later. I'll be really surprised if the calculation results suddenly pop up on everyone's account on 1/1/2012. But maybe that will happen.
dmodemd and JetAway, you have that correct. The last date we'll use in the recalibration is 12/31/2011, but, you won't see any recalculated balances until later. While we don't yet have an exact date, it will be before we migrate to a single system. Just didn’t want anyone to be surprised on January 1st.

Shannon
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA Insider
dmodemd and JetAway, you have that correct. The last date we'll use in the recalibration is 12/31/2011, but, you won't see any recalculated balances until later. While we don't yet have an exact date, it will be before we migrate to a single system. Just didn’t want anyone to be surprised on January 1st.

Shannon
Thanks for the information Shannon - a couple of separate questions which I've updated the OP with:
  • It was unclear whether those reaching 1MM status based on the recalibration will reach it under 2011 rules (and thus receive 2 CR-1s & 3 SWU) or 2012 rules (no CR-1s/SWU). The same question exists for those reaching 2MM/3MM/4MM with the recalibration -whether they would receive 4 SWU under the 2011 rules.
  • It was also unclear whether flights taken on partners which at the time earned "status miles" (prior to them being called EQM) will be included in the one-time recalibration
  • Finally, there were a few questions whether flights which earned COS (class of service) RDM bonuses during the time of "status miles" (prior to them being called EQM) will be included in the one-time recalibration.

Last edited by bmvaughn; Dec 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm Reason: update post
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: United Gold; HHonors Diamond
I'm expecting approximately 70K-100K bump. I'm sitting at 588K miles, and think I'll hit the expected bump with the following elements. Fingers crossed I don't get disappointed later:

-A few 5K 'choice' selections from previous 1K promos
-About 50-60K in Double EQM promos from previous promo matches to AA
-Perhaps 10K-15K or so from Class of Service bonuses (Full-fare economy for short notice flights)
-Maybe 10-20K worth of partner airline EQMs (USAir, Continental, Lufthansa).

If anyone can see any reason that I'll be disappointed in what I'm expecting, please tell me now so I have some time to get used to it.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
So, is there a consensus on how prior years will be counted?

As in, will you receive the sum of every previous year's EQMs minus current total of UA Lifetime BIS added to your current lifetime total?

For example, I am currently at 103k UA Lifetime, but earned a total 245k EQMs since 10/2009, thus under the reconciliation I would receive 245k - 103k for 142k bump up?

Is this tracking with what others are thinking?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigBossman
So, is there a consensus on how prior years will be counted?

As in, will you receive the sum of every previous year's EQMs minus current total of UA Lifetime BIS added to your current lifetime total?

For example, I am currently at 103k UA Lifetime, but earned a total 245k EQMs since 10/2009, thus under the reconciliation I would receive 245k - 103k for 142k bump up?

Is this tracking with what others are thinking?
Correct. You've also replicated exactly what I put in the OP

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
If you want to calculate how much your bump will be, you'll only be able to do so if you know your annual EQM; you would have had to track this yourself each year, there is no way to get it from the website.
Sum your annual EQM, subtract your current Lifetime number, and you'll arrive at your adjustment number. Alternatively, if you know the sum of your annual EQM, that should be your Lifetime number after the adjustment.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
  • It was unclear whether those reaching 1MM status based on the recalibration will reach it under 2011 rules (and thus receive 2 CR-1s & 3 SWU) or 2012 rules (no CR-1s/SWU). The same question exists for those reaching 2MM/3MM/4MM with the recalibration -whether they would receive 4 SWU under the 2011 rules.
I was very concerned about this from earlier this year since I was close to hitting 1MM natively on UA and wanted to lock in the old benefits. However, in all the descriptions of how the combination will work it seems clear that throughout 2011 both original systems were left intact, and any combination and calculation of the COMBINED UA/CO lifetime, and thus its benefits would all be under 2012 rules.

This is unfortunate in that UA/CO has been encouraging us to fly UA or CO throughout 2011 and be assured we would receive cross-credit in both programs. Unfortunately, this appears not to be so for lifetime miles.
Hence if you achieved a MM tier through combined lifetime miles in 2011, it would not register until the combined calc in 2012.

This was possibly going to affect me but it turns out I just could not get over the 1MM level on UA natively in 2011 anyway, so would have to take whatever I got in 2012, but this problem is going to affect some people.

I would suggest those individual cases make a direct plea to CS on this with the specific data as to how if they had put their CO flights onto UA in 2011, what difference it would have made.

For UACO it makes sense given they didnt have to include lifetime miles in the 2011 synchronization logics, didn't have to edit any native rules in either system, and just do a 2012 calc and evaluation under new logic. However, the right thing to have done for the customer should have been to include lifetime miles in with EQM rolling updates in 2011.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

I was very concerned about this from earlier this year since I was close to hitting 1MM natively on UA and wanted to lock in the old benefits. However, in all the descriptions of how the combination will work it seems clear that throughout 2011 both original systems were left intact, and any combination and calculation of the COMBINED UA/CO lifetime, and thus its benefits would all be under 2012 rules.

This is unfortunate in that UA/CO has been encouraging us to fly UA or CO throughout 2011 and be assured we would receive cross-credit in both programs. Unfortunately, this appears not to be so for lifetime miles.
Hence if you achieved a MM tier through combined lifetime miles in 2011, it would not register until the combined calc in 2012.

This was possibly going to affect me but it turns out I just could not get over the 1MM level on UA natively in 2011 anyway, so would have to take whatever I got in 2012, but this problem is going to affect some people.

I would suggest those individual cases make a direct plea to CS on this with the specific data as to how if they had put their CO flights onto UA in 2011, what difference it would have made.

For UACO it makes sense given they didnt have to include lifetime miles in the 2011 synchronization logics, didn't have to edit any native rules in either system, and just do a 2012 calc and evaluation under new logic. However, the right thing to have done for the customer should have been to include lifetime miles in with EQM rolling updates in 2011.
Interesting - I wasn't even referring to CO lifetime miles, just the UA recalibration. But your point is important - if someone put their miles on CO this year for CO benefits, and would have earned with the combination of UA/CO don't they also deserve the status?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

I think they've addressed this already - they've done at least one sweep (maybe more) to move over CO miles credited to UA in 2011 into your UA lifetime balance (and of course UA miles credited to OP always count towards lifetime).

This doesn't address *A flying/COS bonii/other EQM credited to UAMP this year however.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think they've addressed this already - they've done at least one sweep (maybe more) to move over CO miles credited to UA in 2011 into your UA lifetime balance (and of course UA miles credited to OP always count towards lifetime).

This doesn't address *A flying/COS bonii/other EQM credited to UAMP this year however.
I believe the OP is speaking to flying CO and crediting to CO, not flying CO and crediting to UA (which you are correct have started earning lifetime UA miles as of this year).
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by UA Insider

Shannon
Shannon,

In that case, United should probably correct the phrasing at:

http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...onMilerProgram

http://hub.united.com/News/LoyaltyPr...r-program.aspx

"To bring everyone to the same starting point, on December 31, 2011, we will recalculate MileagePlus lifetime miles balances to include both base EQM and bonus EQM. This means the lifetime miles balance will either increase or remain the same."
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I believe the OP is speaking to flying CO and crediting to CO, not flying CO and crediting to UA (which you are correct have started earning lifetime UA miles as of this year).
Yes, I generally use my OP# for CO flights to maximize upgrade potential, which then credits me to CO. I've been watching both lifetime counts all year and haven't seen any cross-posting. I was pretty worried about this problem if they weren't going to give lifetime *G in the new program for 1MM so was looking for possible MRs, but given there isn't too much difference in the new program for a new 1MM and the spouse benefit is a plus to me, it worked out OK.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Website currently says this:

"The elite status tracker will re-appear when the status and benefits of the 2012 MileagePlus program take effect later in the first quarter. Rest assured that your qualifying activity is now counting toward MileagePlus Premier® status for the following year. You can check your qualifying activity balances on the “My Activity” tab below."

And the tracking bar has disappeared.

"later in the first quarter"???

Lurker
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
how do I do

the M+ DataPurge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.