Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Pretty shocking stuff. DL is VERY transparent with their upsells at booking since they arent giving a secret black label upgrade discount. DL is merely trying to upsell you into the next highest PUBLISHED FARE (either F or flexible coach). UACO is using black label prices for upgrades and side-stepping elites.

I have booked flights for other GM and non-1k members and noticed A LOT of buy-up offers on dirt cheap coach tickets. I had assumed i didnt get these offers as in many cases i was already waiting patiently with my SWUs in place. Maybe i will start a duplicate MP account with no status and see if it is better to fly on upsells.

We owe kokonutz a great favor for posting this and getting the discussion started. If anyone hasnt figured out the message from the new UA management it is "your repeat business is worthless to us, because you were going to give it to us anyway". "The new customer is who we want and are willing to sell our premium cabin to them for less then checked baggage fees." This basically destroys million miler benefits as these are heavily reliant on UDU as most of us will be retired when we are leveraging million miler and UDU

Whats is shocking the stealthy way they are screwing their elites and hoping that nobody finds out. (welcome to the internet, it changes everything)

P.S. Kokonutz, was this on the CO website or the UA website that this jump the list to purchase the upgrade was offered? I am guessing this was the CO website as it seems far beyond what united.com could offer

P.P.S UA Insider, would be good to know the policy on this, so we can decide what do with our future business

Last edited by NeoOfTheCRS; Dec 26, 2011 at 7:22 pm Reason: P.S. and P.P.S
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I agree. Time for UA to weigh in.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Yes, this is 100% the policy on international flights.

I had paid an extra ~$700 for a W fare vs. an L fare that my companion paid for the same flights IAD-LHR-IAD. I was on the w/l LHR-IAD. Watched as the seats in C dwindled. At 24 hours went to check in for myself and my GM companion. My companion was offered a buy-up for LESS than the difference between an L fare and a W fare. I was so that I called UA to complain. The lady said I could get off the w/l and see if I got the same offer, but if I did not get that offer and went back on the w/l I would end up losing my place in line on the PA1 wait list.

That made me so angry that I told her to cancel my return ticket and booked a one-way award in F at a saver mileage rate.

That was the day I decided that I am willing to give up 1k status and instead pay Z or A fares for flights on whoever has the cheapest Z or A fare....because if I am going to be paying more, I actually want better class of service for that premium, not a dwindling chance at it while others buy it at check-in for less than my W fare difference on an offer that is not even made to me.

PA1 is now the WORST place to be at 24 hours before the flight: GMs will get buy-up offers that you won't see while you linger on the W/L. It's a sick joke of a policy.
I assume this is what happened yesterday on CO48. 24 hours to go BF is 41 booked (with 15 odd upgrades processed). I check in at the 24 hour point and go on the list as #1 (Plat with a B fare), then all the way until about 30 minutes to board no progress. Its 30 minutes to board, all passengers have checked in and presumably they were trying to upsell and at that point I clear, and 10 minutes later the rest of the list is cleared.

As others have suggested, if you have not cleared by the OCLI window, be prepared to lose your position to GMs. Very dissapointing. Time for UA to weigh in on exactly what the policy is as we figure our 2012 plans.

Last edited by sshank; Dec 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Pretty shocking stuff. DL is VERY transparent with their upsells at booking since they arent giving a secret black label upgrade discount. DL is merely trying to upsell you into the next highest PUBLISHED FARE (either F or flexible coach). UACO is using black label prices for upgrades and side-stepping elites.

I have booked flights for other GM and non-1k members and noticed A LOT of buy-up offers on dirt cheap coach tickets. I had assumed i didnt get these offers as in many cases i was already waiting patiently with my SWUs in place. Maybe i will start a duplicate MP account with no status and see if it is better to fly on upsells.

We owe kokonutz a great favor for posting this and getting the discussion started. If anyone hasnt figured out the message from the new UA management it is "your repeat business is worthless to us, because you were going to give it to us anyway". "The new customer is who we want and are willing to sell our premium cabin to them for less then checked baggage fees." This basically destroys million miler benefits as these are heavily reliant on UDU as most of us will be retired when we are leveraging million miler and UDU

Whats is shocking the stealthy way they are screwing their elites and hoping that nobody finds out. (welcome to the internet, it changes everything)

P.S. Kokonutz, was this on the CO website or the UA website that this jump the list to purchase the upgrade was offered? I am guessing this was the CO website as it seems far beyond what united.com could offer

P.P.S UA Insider, would be good to know the policy on this, so we can decide what do with our future business
Folks, CO has been doing this sort of sneaky stuff for a long time.

TOD= Tens of Dollar upgrades offered to GM while Platinum Elites sit in coach.

UA never did anything remote like this. F Buy-ups are expensive and only offered when NF>0.

This merger sucks!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Originally Posted by demkr
I agree. Time for UA to weigh in.
Originally Posted by sshank
Time for UA to weigh in on exactly what the policy is as we figure our 2012 plans.
I just don't understand what many of you need to hear from UAInsider that isn't already out there
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Now I do not feel so bad about not making 1K for 2012 for the first time in years...oddly my new job kept me behind the wheel all year but making 3x what I use to...I can now realistically buy cheap biz fares on Thai or ANA or some other carrier, will never buy it on UA, it was only ever worth paying for W and upgrading.

If I am going to buy C it is going to be on an Asian carrier.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:08 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
I can now realistically buy cheap biz fares on Thai or ANA or some other carrier, will never buy it on UA, it was only ever worth paying for W and upgrading.

If I am going to buy C it is going to be on an Asian carrier.
Funny, I was just thinking this exact thing! I literally had the ANA and Thai websites open in other tabs, looking at their business class products! It turns out that ANA has a new flat-bed business (and not 8 across on the 777 either) which looks good.
https://www.ana.co.jp/int/svc/w_en/c...ess_staggered/ ^

Thai's business class (slanted flat) seems less impressive but I am willing to give it a try. Particularly because Thai does not share revenue with UA...if I am going to book on another carrier because of UA's disgusting shenanigans, then ideally I do not want a penny of my money getting back to Jeff & Co's grubby hands.

UA's C product is good also, and I am currently in Taiwan after having bought a D fare (upgraded to F) on UA...but reading about these $500 int'l C upsells, offered to GMs while 1Ks who paid $1000 or more extra for W fares are waitlisted for SWUs, is a total slap in the face and makes me want to take my business elsewhere.

DL is now offering a decent flat-bed product on their 777s as well (and not 8 across either...hmm, I seem to be saying that a lot lately when looking at non-UA seat maps!).

Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:17 am

Continental's explanation in the past was that buy up will be offered only in circumstances where there are enough first class seats to clear all elites on the waitlist.

If OP is correct in that the last 2 seats were offered for buy up with elites like him still on the list then something is amiss and needs to be sent up the line.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by JetAway
Sounds like the best approach is to buy a ticket without entering your MP/OP number and see what happens. It can always be entered anytime before departure.
Which is fine if you don't mind either sitting in E- or perhaps a middle seat in E+...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
UACO is really missing the forest for the trees on this one. ... It also really is a slap in the face when an upgrade is sold to someone on an otherwise non-upgradable fare while elites wait for an upgrade on a fare they paid more for.

I've said it before. UACO can't have it both ways.
Agreed - the big problem with this isn't just that elites get shafted; rather, it's that this cash grab is totally unsustainable. Clearly UACO's aim on int'l routes is to cash in on SWU-using elites buying upgradeable fares, then denying them upgrade availability by also cashing in on TOD from non-elites or those on cheaper non-upgradeable fares - all the while lying to elites about the practice. Everyone knows this business model of attempted double-dipping is not sustainable in the long run, as frequent flyers will simply stop buying upgradeable fares or flee UACO altogether. (Especially after UACO starts getting exposed for the frauds they are, as in this thread).

Last edited by gengar; Dec 27, 2011 at 1:20 am
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by kb1992
Folks, CO has been doing this sort of sneaky stuff for a long time.

TOD= Tens of Dollar upgrades offered to GM while Platinum Elites sit in coach.

UA never did anything remote like this. F Buy-ups are expensive and only offered when NF>0.

This merger sucks!
Untrue. I can attest to two experiences that I lost SWU upgrades to people who paid UFC. In one case at NRT I was told to wait at the gate for ten more minutes. A few mintues later I saw a passenger pulled out his wallet and credit card and happily took a new boarding pass and left. I approached the GA asking what if I pay to UG? She said if you want to pay instead of waiting for your SWU to clear, I can UG you now. But then she looked at screen and said, sorry, no more seat left. If there were NC space my SWU would have cleared.

I agree that the whole practice sucks!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yes, this is 100% the policy on international flights.

I had paid an extra ~$700 for a W fare vs. an L fare that my companion paid for the same flights IAD-LHR-IAD. I was on the w/l LHR-IAD. Watched as the seats in C dwindled. At 24 hours went to check in for myself and my GM companion. My companion was offered a buy-up for LESS than the difference between an L fare and a W fare. I was so that I called UA to complain. The lady said I could get off the w/l and see if I got the same offer, but if I did not get that offer and went back on the w/l I would end up losing my place in line on the PA1 wait list.

That made me so angry that I told her to cancel my return ticket and booked a one-way award in F at a saver mileage rate.

That was the day I decided that I am willing to give up 1k status and instead pay Z or A fares for flights on whoever has the cheapest Z or A fare....because if I am going to be paying more, I actually want better class of service for that premium, not a dwindling chance at it while others buy it at check-in for less than my W fare difference on an offer that is not even made to me.

PA1 is now the WORST place to be at 24 hours before the flight: GMs will get buy-up offers that you won't see while you linger on the W/L. It's a sick joke of a policy.
<bold mine>
Just Wow. This scheme is unbelievable.
I had just decided to stick with UA for one more year, but this is [horsefeathers] !
Booked a flight for next month on Delta...guess I have to look harder at AA also now.

What a bunch of crap. Looks like only $ UA gets from me now is when NC is available at booking.

Wonder if UA Insider has the guts to address this bit of enhancement?

Anyone else having trouble buying the market drivel...
We are pleased to share the 2012 program and are committed to bringing you the world′s most rewarding loyalty program for the world′s leading airline

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 27, 2011 at 7:26 am Reason: watch your language, please http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q88
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Wonder if UA Insider has the guts to address this bit of enhancement?
Yeah, that's a great way to get an answer to your complaint.

Clearly you don't understand the benefit UA Insider is to us. Calling Scott/Shannon out like this is very poor form.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Yeah, that's a great way to get an answer to your complaint.

Clearly you don't understand the benefit UA Insider is to us. Calling Scott/Shannon out like this is very poor form.

Exactly, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Its great we have Scott and Shannon, some forums don't have as good lurkers. If you've got a complaint, fine, PM them about it, but don't do it in such a way that they won't want to help us when we actually need it.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
My theory (and it's only my theory) is that CO did it that way to 'hide' the offers from elites on the UG list, so that they would not even realize that they were losing upgrades to GMs who were getting upgrade for cash offers. Because they would get very upset to realize that CO was selling 'their' upgrades.

My only evidence for this theory is that many legacy CO elites swear to this day that such offers never happen, or if they do it is rare and expensive.

Neither of these notions are correct.

Anyway, the cat's out of the bag.

They should make the same offers to those on the wait list as those not.
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
UACO is really missing the forest for the trees on this one. It's fine for UACO to make a grab for cash at the last minute but there is a cost to doing so. If the cash price for an upgrade at the last minute is low enough it results in the elite program being seriously degraded. It also really is a slap in the face when an upgrade is sold to someone on an otherwise non-upgradable fare while elites wait for an upgrade on a fare they paid more for.

I've said it before. UACO can't have it both ways.
First, I should say that I have no skin in the game with UA, so take my opinions for what they're worth. I'm an AA flyer and usually don't take any chances if I want the upgrade: I pay the $75 and the co-pay. Don't like it, but it's worth the peace of mind to me.

AFAIC, UA really screwed the pooch on this one, so to speak. I have no doubt that Koko is correct: UA didn't want elites to realize that they are losing upgrades to non-elites and/or feel like they were being forced to pay for something that they thought they were entitled to. PHL's point about the unstated costs to UA is a good one; I have no idea why they thought the cat wouldn't get out of the bag on this one. True, not everyone is a FTer, but most people will eventually read a travel article that puts this little scheme out there. My belief is that this whole interweb thing is going to catch on.

One thing: I have absolutely no problem with UA (or any airline) trying to make money by selling upgrades. I don't view the airlines as public utilities. What roils me is that the company has created an uneven playing field to the detriment of its more loyal customers.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.