Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
It is comical to read how spun up people are getting about a policy that doesn't even exist!!! The buy ups are offered to elites, period. There is a pricepoint CO uses to determine whether the buy up is shown. UA Insider posted about this earlier in the year, I will try and find it.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I have had good success with UDU this year, but I understand that I can quickly be on the other side at any time. I know loyalty should be rewarded with free upgrades and all, but in the end it boils down to treating elites and frequent customers as valued business. Hopefully CO dba UA will figure out how to balance the expectations of PMUA FFs with the revenue generating savy of PMCO. This will take time, and who is used to patience these days.... My tune will be different when my CR1s and SWU's dry up :-)
Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by njcommodore
It is comical to read how spun up people are getting about a policy that doesn't even exist!!! The buy ups are offered to elites, period.
Really? Then perhaps you can explain why out of 50 eligible flights this year, I was offered the buy-up exactly once.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by avidflyer
??? Delta does almost the exact same thing with FCM. In fact I think CO/UA are copying the strategy.
I don't see DL's FCM as anything remotely close to UA's blatant eff our elite scheme. I haven't missed an upgrade as a DM. DL offers me the same buy-up deal as others and hasn't tried to screw me. Plus DL's A fares are frequently so attractive that I simply buy an F ticket, get my 150% EQMs and the seat I want at booking. Case in point: I could have paid $800 for next months's round-trip Y SFO-YUL on DL, AA or AC with a 90% chance of an upgrade on each. But DL offered and I accepted a $180 RT buy-up for both me and non-status Mrs. SFO.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:52 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'll unite behind any banner that seeks to erradicate UDU/EUA/CPU and bring back e-500s.
But I'm much more concerned about how this ability to bypass the waitlist affects upgrade instruments. If it continues, it seriously devalues RPU and GPU.
As long as it is clearly spelled out it is fine. I think the e500 should be brought back for all and be paid for / earned by flying 10k miles for 4 as in AA.
Priority
Miles+Copays
GPUs
RPUs
e500 by elite level
CPU free upgrades for all elites by level and fare class.
upsells starting at 48h (after 1k and Plats)
hold back 2 seats till gate lottery for high fare last min elites

I think DL FCM is more transparent, btw.

Last edited by ffI; Dec 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
It is comical to read how spun up people are getting about a policy that doesn't even exist!!! The buy ups are offered to elites, period. There is a pricepoint CO uses to determine whether the buy up is shown. UA Insider posted about this earlier in the year, I will try and find it.
If what you suggest is the official policy then the implementation is seriously flawed as within my family there have been numerous offers of upgrades to non-elite flyers not travelling with me or on awards from my 1K account. This has occurred on both UA and CO operated flights on pure and mixed itineraries.

As for pricepoints the only policy I can recall is that the price of an UG might be the difference between the fare paid and the lowest OW Y/B fare which would of course enjoyed an automatic UG if designated UG space was available.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SFO777
I don't see DL's FCM as anything remotely close to UA's blatant eff our elite scheme. I haven't missed an upgrade as a DM. DL offers me the same buy-up deal as others and hasn't tried to screw me. Plus DL's A fares are frequently so attractive that I simply buy an F ticket, get my 150% EQMs and the seat I want at booking. Case in point: I could have paid $800 for next months's round-trip Y SFO-YUL on DL, AA or AC with a 90% chance of an upgrade on each. But DL offered and I accepted a $180 RT buy-up for both me and non-status Mrs. SFO.
FWIW I have not missed an UG (34/34) on UA since October when I started. The "hide the UG from the 1K" is BS but I suspect not that many kettles go for it anyway. If they are it is not on my flights (LAX-ORD-BOS primarily)
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
They may be "offered" to Elites, but they also have violated their stated rules by dropping the offers to much less than B/M fares for the true buy-up during OLCI.

And of course Kettles get even lower offers than elites, that's been documented many times over.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:53 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Fredd
Agreed. ^

While this topic has been brought up here, IMHO this specific aspect of "upgrades becoming harder" is worth separating out from the more general discussion and worthy of its own thread.

I posted in that thread (and others made similar suggestions):

Between this and the planned devaluation of Million Miles and Beyond benefits, it almost seems as if UA wants to enhance away my business.

I think you may well be on to something with your theory they're trying to "'hide' the offers from elites on the UG list." Apparently some of them haven't heard of FT. What other motive could there be? If they're trying to sell 'em, why not ask every potential customer?

The new UA is still advertising Regionals and SWUs as great benefits. Oddly enough (he said sarcastically), there's no disclaimer that a GM on an award ticket will have the ability to buy up and past the elite with an upgrade instrument.
Every UA elite needs to understand what the CO management is bringing to the New United. And it's not pretty.

Well, unless you are my GM kids and you just took upgrades (on a coach saver award ticket) from 11 elites on the upgrade wait list for $109.

My solution is to buy A and Z fares (my wife and I are already in F tomorrow because we bought a Y-up fare) on whatever carrier is the cheapest. After 15 or so years, I expect 2012 will be the first time I will not make 1k on United. This policy is a major reason why.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 26, 2011 at 4:08 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
An idea for a thread ... I know we have a buy-up offer thread, but maybe something a la udustats.com - to add a form to report a buy-up offer. What your status is, when you received the offer, your booking class , etc.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
As most of the posts here are about UDU and domestic F, I want to make sure I understand this....is this also the way it works for international?

Am I forced to buy up to a W fare in order to apply an SWU, but then the new UA will offer to sell an upgrade to a lower fare class while I sit on a wait list?

Very crappy system for domestic....cause for fleeing if intl as well.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
As most of the posts here are about UDU and domestic F, I want to make sure I understand this....is this also the way it works for international?

Am I forced to buy up to a W fare in order to apply an SWU, but then the new UA will offer to sell an upgrade to a lower fare class while I sit on a wait list?

Very crappy system for domestic....cause for fleeing if intl as well.
Yes, this is 100% the policy on international flights.

I had paid an extra ~$700 for a W fare vs. an L fare that my companion paid for the same flights IAD-LHR-IAD. I was on the w/l LHR-IAD. Watched as the seats in C dwindled. At 24 hours went to check in for myself and my GM companion. My companion was offered a buy-up for LESS than the difference between an L fare and a W fare. I was so that I called UA to complain. The lady said I could get off the w/l and see if I got the same offer, but if I did not get that offer and went back on the w/l I would end up losing my place in line on the PA1 wait list.

That made me so angry that I told her to cancel my return ticket and booked a one-way award in F at a saver mileage rate.

That was the day I decided that I am willing to give up 1k status and instead pay Z or A fares for flights on whoever has the cheapest Z or A fare....because if I am going to be paying more, I actually want better class of service for that premium, not a dwindling chance at it while others buy it at check-in for less than my W fare difference on an offer that is not even made to me.

PA1 is now the WORST place to be at 24 hours before the flight: GMs will get buy-up offers that you won't see while you linger on the W/L. It's a sick joke of a policy.

Last edited by kokonutz; Dec 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Slap in the face when people have to pay (sometimes substantially) more to get a higher priority (Both domestic and intl) - and then someone pays for a low fare and is offered an upgrade for tens of dollars.

Absolutely cause for taking biz elsewhere. To me this demonstrates that management is simply not interested in loyalty at all-if they are purposefully hiding or restricting this from their most frequent customers.

Not to mention requiring us to W/L while kettles upgrade for next to nothing . Is the temporary revenue so substantial that they want folks to bypass waitlist of 60+ people?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bldr1k
This has happened to me many times in 2011, mostly on international flights. What really frustrates me is that they offer an upsell to someone who is a general member that paid less than half the ticket price I paid. When I asked about it once the gate agent told me that incremental $ trumps everything except GS.

Is the part about GS true?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demkr
Slap in the face when people have to pay (sometimes substantially) more to get a higher priority (Both domestic and intl) - and then someone pays for a low fare and is offered an upgrade for tens of dollars.

Absolutely cause for taking biz elsewhere. To me this demonstrates that management is simply not interested in loyalty at all-if they are purposefully hiding or restricting this from their most frequent customers.

Not to mention requiring us to W/L while kettles upgrade for next to nothing . Is the temporary revenue so substantial that they want folks to bypass waitlist of 60+ people?
In the case of my companion from LHR-IAD the buy-up offer was ~$450. So it wasn't insubstantial nor tens of dollars. But, frankly, given the choice of paying for that u/g from L and getting it for sure vs. paying the $700 W fare premium and then sweating at the gate and possibly sitting in coach, I would have happily paid $450 more each way.

What galls me is thinking that I would be asked to pay $700 more for the W fare THEN $450 more to get the UG each way if the C seats dwindle. At that point I may as well be paying for a Z fare on DL or BA or Virgin (or UA, if they are cheapest).

Which is why I decided that that's precisely what I will do from now on.

The selling of ugs to GMs that are not offered to elites, along with the huge W fare premiums of late, along with the tightest NC space ever have effectively driven my loyalty/business away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.