Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by blizair09
As a Plat, I have been offered upsell upgrades at check-in several times, and, in many cases, I have taken them. Some recent examples: EWR-MCO for $109, ATL-IAH (on a frankenflight) for $59, and IAH-SJC for $129. My fare class on the flights varied (i.e., I believe the EWR-MCO was an "S" while the ATL-IAH was an "E"). For EWR-MCO, I was able to decline the offer, check in and see that I was #7 on the upgrade list with 4 seats, un-check in, and then take the offer. I realize that I am one person with these experiences, but I am an elite and was made these offers, so I don't think it is accurate to say that they are made ONLY to GMs.
This has been my experience as well. I have been offered upsells at T-24 checkin on several occasions. They are typically in the $59-$299 range, and if had I wanted to, I could have purchased them prior to checkin.

Personally, I always decline and take my chances with the upgrade "lottery", but the option to pay for the upgrades was offered.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:54 pm

No surprise here

I am not bragging or complaining or threatening to take all my business to Air (fill in name of country) but I am surprised that this protocol is coming as such a surprise to so many folks. I am not a buy up and over flyer. I like most elites normally watch as NC0 never changes and I end up taking my exit row seat! This practice has been in effect for several years. Just stand around the GA's as they process the flight, chat at the club bar, BRIEFLY talk frequent flying with your seat neighbor.I don't want to get kicked out of MP by my next comment BUT all United has to do is check their own flight processing info. It seems really bizarre to ask one of us to PM an example of this happening.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The issue is pretty much always at OLCI on CO. Most often well before OLCI, you can buy-up to a B fare (M for Plats) to get your auto-UG, and it's at the legit published fare difference - I have no issue with that, not sure how anyone can. That follows the published rules.

The problem is that when they drop the buy-up to something much less than the published difference - that's where you see the TOD references come in (originally denied by a cadre of FTers, but not much anymore due to the continued evidence presented)...a $400 differential magically turning into $59-$99. And of course the offer seems to be even more attractive for GMs.

Really hoping The Powers That Be will address this. If it's an error, please fix it, as it's been going on for over a year now. If this is now the way it's going to be going forward, please make it known officially, so a flood of elites & high value flyers can take their business elsewhere.
I'd like to add one thing to this that irks me as well. COInsider initially told us that the only time Joe Schmo's should receive these buy up offers is when the number of F seats remaining was greater than the number of remaining elites not yet upgraded on the flight. However numerous examples have shown that this policy does not seem to be followed and they'll offer a buy up whenever they see fit.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by swato
BUT all United has to do is check their own flight processing info. It seems really bizarre to ask one of us to PM an example of this happening.

You're assuming this is an easy task and they have visibility into this.

Remember that CO's architecture is distributed across multiple systems, which handle different parts, all assuming the other systems are working correctly.

They would have to coordinate reports from multiple systems in order to watch something like this (e.g., flights where Elites were not upgraded and buy-up upgrades were offered and/or sold).

Originally Posted by nova08
I'd like to add one thing to this that irks me as well. COInsider initially told us that the only time Joe Schmo's should receive these buy up offers is when the number of F seats remaining was greater than the number of remaining elites not yet upgraded on the flight. However numerous examples have shown that this policy does not seem to be followed and they'll offer a buy up whenever they see fit.

I don't think we should infer intent here (yet).

It's very possible that CO's systems are so messy and their version control and QA testing are so poor that this type of bug crops up a couple times a year and it's an honest, yet careless, mistake they continue to repeat.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that's likely what's happening as inferred by Shannon's comment about things not working the way they should.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Ok I think I now get how this works (or rather doesn't work). Just purchased tickets on UA to travel SFO-IAD-SFO in 2 months. Outbound has 27/34 F seats open and return has 12/12 open. Waitlisted for CR1 on both flights. Yes I realize open seats do not preclude unassigned F customers but nonetheless a good indicator of space as was the relatively low competitive fare.

Really what is the point of handing out SWUs and CR1s if your customers can't use them to confirm instant upgrades at time of purchase on empty flights?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Ok I think I now get how this works (or rather doesn't work). Just purchased tickets on UA to travel SFO-IAD-SFO in 2 months. Outbound has 27/34 F seats open and return has 12/12 open. Waitlisted for CR1 on both flights. Yes I realize open seats do not preclude unassigned F customers but nonetheless a good indicator of space as was the relatively low competitive fare.

Really what is the point of handing out SWUs and CR1s if your customers can't use them to confirm instant upgrades at time of purchase on empty flights?
Perhaps 7 people were already able to do exactly that on the outbound, and UA thinks they can sell 12 seats otherwise between now and then.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Yup

What is the point of handing out SWUs and CR1s if you can't use them to confirm upgrades at time of purchase on empty flights?
Very good question

It seems they are just 2 more notches on the U/G heirarchy

U/Gs R 4 $ALE
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Perhaps 7 people were already able to do exactly that on the outbound, and UA thinks they can sell 12 seats otherwise between now and then.
Really? I have a bridge for sale, perhaps you would be interested
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I don't think we should infer intent here (yet).

It's very possible that CO's systems are so messy and their version control and QA testing are so poor that this type of bug crops up a couple times a year and it's an honest, yet careless, mistake they continue to repeat.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that's likely what's happening as inferred by Shannon's comment about things not working the way they should.
Alright you talked me off the ledge. Although I approached this issue the same as you just described back when we started to hear about these buy ups. And now a year later it does not appear that the potential bug or issues have been fixed. I work in the software implementation field and to me this is at least a Sev 2 defect. If CO's systems and testing are really that poor or if they casually ignore the defect because it results in some extra cash then I have serious concerns moving forward.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:46 pm

Really? I have a bridge for sale, perhaps you would be interested
Are you telling me you've never been able to confirm NF space when booking? And seen NF5 or so? What do you think everyone who books after that gets used up thinks.... WHERE ARE ALL THE UPGRADES?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nova08
Alright you talked me off the ledge. Although I approached this issue the same as you just described back when we started to hear about these buy ups. And now a year later it does not appear that the potential bug or issues have been fixed. I work in the software implementation field and to me this is at least a Sev 2 defect. If CO's systems and testing are really that poor or if they casually ignore the defect because it results in some extra cash then I have serious concerns moving forward.

LOL...the problem has been fixed. And then they broke it again. And then they fixed it, and broke it and fixed it and broke it and so on.

It crops up a couple times a year for a few weeks to a few months at a time.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say they casually ignore the defect. I think they don't have a handle on their systems and don't realize the impact one thing does on the other, and as such they're not monitoring/reporting/QAing/etc. appropriately.

Everything CO seems to build is a band-aid on top of band-aid, so that now they're stuck with this kludge of things that perform tasks that other airlines seem to handle in a much more straightforward manner.

I don't even think there's anything wrong with their buy-up logic. I think the buy-up logic assumes EUA is working properly, and for whatever reason if EUA isn't working right, it sees a bunch of upgrade inventory and starts to sell it cheap, causing this unwanted side-effect.

So if EUA is missing people because of a new booking class ththan ey added but forgot to code, or it gets stuck on more out of sync tickets they're used seeing because of their merger partner handling ticket issues differently, or some new tier they're not recognizing correctly, or whatnot, then there's extra upgrade inventory, that the upsell system sees it and tries to do what it's programmed to do -- sell it.

Heck, a couple years ago, they even began running EUA each time someone checks in, so that's supposed to resolve this issue and allocate any remaining upgrade inventory before upgrades are sold. But of course, that assumes as well that EUA is working properly.

I don't think it's not some evil, deceptive plan by Smisek. It's a change management nightmare they simply don't have a handle on.

But I see your point -- to see this repeatedly, with no visibility into the system (by us or the agents), it sure does look like a conspiracy theory is in order.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:30 pm

LOL...the problem has been fixed. And then they broke it again. And then they fixed it, and broke it and fixed it and broke it and so on.

It crops up a couple times a year for a few weeks to a few months at a time.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say they casually ignore the defect. I think they don't have a handle on their systems and don't realize the impact one thing does on the other, and as such they're not monitoring/reporting/QAing/etc. appropriately.

Everything CO seems to build is a band-aid on top of band-aid, so that now they're stuck with this kludge of things that perform tasks that other airlines seem to handle in a much more straightforward manner.

I don't even think there's anything wrong with their buy-up logic. I think the buy-up logic assumes EUA is working properly, and for whatever reason if EUA isn't working right, it sees a bunch of upgrade inventory and starts to sell it cheap, causing this unwanted side-effect.

So if EUA is missing people because of a new booking class ththan ey added but forgot to code, or it gets stuck on more out of sync tickets they're used seeing because of their merger partner handling ticket issues differently, or some new tier they're not recognizing correctly, or whatnot, then there's extra upgrade inventory, that the upsell system sees it and tries to do what it's programmed to do -- sell it.

Heck, a couple years ago, they even began running EUA each time someone checks in, so that's supposed to resolve this issue and allocate any remaining upgrade inventory before upgrades are sold. But of course, that assumes as well that EUA is working properly.

I don't think it's not some evil, deceptive plan by Smisek. It's a change management nightmare they simply don't have a handle on.

But I see your point -- to see this repeatedly, with no visibility into the system (by us or the agents), it sure does look like a conspiracy theory is in order.
Couldn't there be a core defect in the CO architecture - namely that because upgrades are only processed as sweeps daily at the same time as the flight (rather than more regularly/dynamically like on United) upgrade availability could exist for some time before the sweep during which people could buy-up while others remain on the waitlist? Doesn't address the TOD item, but could explain how folks could purchase down the upgrades before the sweep occurs.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Couldn't there be a core defect in the CO architecture - namely that because upgrades are only processed as sweeps daily at the same time as the flight (rather than more regularly/dynamically like on United) upgrade availability could exist for some time before the sweep during which people could buy-up while others remain on the waitlist? Doesn't address the TOD item, but could explain how folks could purchase down the upgrades before the sweep occurs.

Indeed. The sweep architecture is one of the fundamental issues they're constantly battling, IMO.

Combined with the distributed architecture, it seems like it's challenging for them to stay on top of.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:46 pm

Indeed. The sweep architecture is one of the fundamental issues they're constantly battling, IMO.

Combined with the distributed architecture, it seems like it's challenging for them to stay on top of.
Indeed, what you're left trying to design then is a system that releases just-in-time inventory for EUA while not leaving it out there too long for someone else to buy up. What a headache.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Maybe

I have a bridge for sale,
perhaps you would be interested
Only if it will fit the gap in my lower left molars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.