FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Million Miler companion benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1293194-million-miler-companion-benefit.html)

WineCountryUA Aug 25, 2022 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by TechOps (Post 34544961)
I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result. ...

That's odd

Is your present companion still showing your status?

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34545183)
Probably have to wait for another month or so to change for next year.

That has now been past practice, just needed to be done prior 30 Nov

Can I change my designated companion who will receive Premier status?
Yes, any change to your companion must be completed by November 30 of the preceding year and will take effect the following calendar year (during the first week of January).

Xyzzy Aug 25, 2022 2:53 pm

I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f53e6d969e.png

One can only change the nominated companion during a short window at the end :of each calendar year. I suspect that's the issue here. The error message could certainly be more informative.

WineCountryUA Aug 25, 2022 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 34545369)
One can only change the nominated companion during a short window at the end :of each calendar year. I suspect that's the issue here. The error message could certainly be more informative.

I don't believe that is true. A new MMer can nominate at any time and a existing nomination just needs to be done prior 30 Nov to take effect the next year. As UA notes on its MMer nomination website site -- quote a couple of posts back.

TechOps Aug 25, 2022 4:14 pm

I'll try again closer to November and report back. :-)

Xyzzy Aug 25, 2022 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34545476)
I don't believe that is true. A new MMer can nominate at any time and a existing nomination just needs to be done prior 30 Nov to take effect the next year. As UA notes on its MMer nomination website site -- quote a couple of posts back.

Sure, a new MMer can nominate at any time. But the question was about changing the nominated person. I tried the same "Register companion" link as was described above - and that UA lists as the one to use to change the designated companion. I got the same error message as reported above. I've been a MMer for :over 10 years.

WineCountryUA Aug 25, 2022 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 34545719)
,,, I tried the same "Register companion" link as was described above - and that UA lists as the one to use to change the designated companion. I got the same error message as reported above. I've been a MMer for :over 10 years.

Recently or in the past? The issue is if this has changed recently? (or a temp issue)
Fairly sure others have reported in the past trying to change well before Nov and it was just deferred, not error out.

Xyzzy Aug 26, 2022 5:58 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34545861)
Recently or in the past? The issue is if this has changed recently? (or a temp issue)
Fairly sure others have reported in the past trying to change well before Nov and it was just deferred, not error out.

:idea: I tried that yesterday.

8MiHi Aug 26, 2022 6:22 am

I successfully changed nominees in October of last year for 22 status.

rowenb Aug 26, 2022 9:29 am

Here's a situation I'm in, and I haven't called United to ask about it, but I'm curious what people think the answer ought to be:

My father-in-law is 3MM GS. When his wife passed a few years back, he called in and nominated me as his designated companion. At the time I was 1K, so since then I've inherited his GS status. Recently I became 1MM myself, hence Lifetime Gold. And, based on my own flying record, I would qualify for 1K if I wasn't already GS via companion status.

My question is: Could I ask United to designate my wife as my companion, even though I'm already designated as somebody else's companion? And if they did allow that, what status should my wife get? I think it would be clearly wrong for her to get GS, but I could see a case for Gold (my lifetime status) or 1K (the status I'd have, absent being my FIL's companion).

WineCountryUA Aug 26, 2022 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rowenb (Post 34547255)
My question is: Could I ask United to designate my wife as my companion, even though I'm already designated as somebody else's companion? ...

Yes

... And if they did allow that, what status should my wife get? .

Likely GS -- see discussion earlier in the upthread on chaining

DELee Aug 27, 2022 3:58 pm

Here's a situation I'm in, and I haven't called United to ask about it, but I'm curious what people think the answer ought to be:

My father-in-law is 3MM GS. When his wife passed a few years back, he called in and nominated me as his designated companion. At the time I was 1K, so since then I've inherited his GS status. Recently I became 1MM myself, hence Lifetime Gold. And, based on my own flying record, I would qualify for 1K if I wasn't already GS via companion status.

My question is: Could I ask United to designate my wife as my companion, even though I'm already designated as somebody else's companion? And if they did allow that, what status should my wife get? I think it would be clearly wrong for her to get GS, but I could see a case for Gold (my lifetime status) or 1K (the status I'd have, absent being my FIL's companion).

You can always designate her as your MM companion and she will inherit your status as well. Since you inherit GS as a MM companion, she will too through you.

David

JAaronT Aug 27, 2022 7:10 pm

I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f53e6d969e.png

I’ve never nominated anyone and I went it to do so and got this.

Flying Machine Aug 27, 2022 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT (Post 34551015)

Sounds to me like a call to the MP service center is in order. If you’ve never nominated anyone, it should’ve applied right away. Good luck and please keep us posted

bmwe92fan Aug 27, 2022 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT (Post 34551015)

Do you check all of these boxes (from the UA website)...

Companion eligibility:

1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
The home address one is easy to trip you up....

WineCountryUA Aug 27, 2022 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34551135)
Sounds to me like a call to the MP service center is in order. If you’ve never nominated anyone, it should’ve applied right away. Good luck and please keep us posted

As the system errors out of the entry of just the MMers information before entering any companion info,independent of if the MMer has a registered companion or not, this seems clearly a website issue. It's broken for any use.