FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Million Miler companion benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1293194-million-miler-companion-benefit.html)

WasKnown May 12, 2023 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS (Post 35245619)
Yes! be very very quiet abd it'll stay that way :-)

Wow. That is game changing for spreading GS.

Counsellor May 13, 2023 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 35245918)
Wow. That is game changing for spreading GS.

Yes, but a while back this was abused seriously by a group daisy-chaining so that all wound up GS. Shortly thereafter United began strictly enforcing the "same name or address" rule and cracking down. So, as recommended, be very quiet about this.

WasKnown May 14, 2023 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor (Post 35248162)
Yes, but a while back this was abused seriously by a group daisy-chaining so that all wound up GS. Shortly thereafter United began strictly enforcing the "same name or address" rule and cracking down. So, as recommended, be very quiet about this.

Understood. Thank you. I would be using this to just share GS with one additional person who is absolutely part of my household.

drewguy Sep 4, 2023 1:42 pm

I should hit 1MM this Fall . . . thinking about designating a companion.

Do you have to do that right away? When is the "open season" for changing (and can you do that your first year - e.g., designate in October, change in December for 2024)?

I have a spouse who may end up with same status as me, in which case I'll likely designate my child. But of course that may vary from year to year and you know who's #1.

fumje Sep 4, 2023 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 35553395)
I should hit 1MM this Fall . . . thinking about designating a companion.

Do you have to do that right away? When is the "open season" for changing (and can you do that your first year)?

I have a spouse who may end up with same status as me, in which case I'll likely designate my child. But of course that may vary from year to year and you know who's #1.

When you first designate it should take effect immediately. If you change, you need to do it by November, and the it will take effect the next year. I'm not aware of any time limit on doing the designation the first time.

drewguy Sep 4, 2023 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 35553403)
If you change, you need to do it by November, and the it will take effect the next year.

Is there a specific date in November? (I deal too often with things like deadlines for changing health insurance and so forth . . .)

And thanks!

IAH-OIL-TRASH Sep 4, 2023 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 35553410)
Is there a specific date in November? (I deal too often with things like deadlines for changing health insurance and so forth . . .)

And thanks!

Yes, there is a set date that n November to drop or change the nominated companion. I believe it might be the 15th. But don’t hold me to it :)

fumje Sep 4, 2023 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 35553410)

And thanks!

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 35553423)
Yes, there is a set date that n November to drop or change the nominated companion. I believe it might be the 15th. But don’t hold me to it :)

My memory is 30 November.

edit: I found a reference :) Apparently in your first year, you get an extra 30 days to change your mind. :p

Companion eligibility:

1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../lifetime.html

docbert Oct 20, 2023 10:37 pm

Any recent experiences around whether UA is enforcing the address for a change in companion?

Also, is it possible to remove a companion (before the end of November) without adding a new one? Does that then allow designating a new companion at some stage next year (similar to the first nomination), or do you need to wait until the following year to re-nominate?

Doppy Oct 20, 2023 10:59 pm

Just added a companion for the first time and to automatically add the companion the system required the address be exactly the same on both accounts, even a small difference in how the apartment number was reported caused a failure.

drewguy Oct 21, 2023 5:16 am

Interesting - I did first time nomination and it said addresses don’t match but then asked me to confirm companion met T&C. I said yes and it went through.

(it’s my child in college - not sure if she typed our home address differently or put down her college address - but she certainly lives with us, probably more than 50% of the time given the short semesters)

Doppy Oct 21, 2023 10:33 am

I had the option to attempt to proceed anyway but I assumed would go to some manual review that would be another thing I'd need to track down so I just revised the addresses and resubmitted

CApreppie Oct 29, 2023 10:15 pm

Read the short info at the beginning of the thread. Couple questions since I'm really close....

I'm confused by this: "You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December."

When you make 1MM and nominate someone right away, does the status for that person happen thereafter? Or do you have to wait till the following you? Maybe I should write MP CS.

Also it sounds like even if you earn PlusPoints, they are not rewarded to the companion. They just get the base status w/o any PlusPoints?

WineCountryUA Oct 29, 2023 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie (Post 35704242)
....When you make 1MM and nominate someone right away, does the status for that person happen thereafter? Or do you have to wait till the following you? ....

If you have never nominated anyone, the first nomination takes place immediately. Any change in nomination needs to be made before 30 Nov and takes effect 1 Jan (or a few days later), The previous individual will continue to receive status till the end of Jan,

Originally Posted by CApreppie (Post 35704242)
...Also it sounds like even if you earn PlusPoints, they are not rewarded to the companion. They just get the base status w/o any PlusPoints?

Companion gets status and all status benefits, companions do not get PlusPoints without earning them.

CApreppie Oct 29, 2023 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35704258)
If you have never nominated anyone, the first nomination takes place immediately. Any change in nomination needs to be made before 30 Nov and takes effect 1 Jan (or a few days later), The previous individual will continue to receive status till the end of Jan,

Companion gets status and all status benefits, companions do not get PlusPoints without earning them.

Thanks WineCountryUA. So as a plat, my companion gets my current status till end of Jan or gold status?

I was pretty sure they did not get PPs.