Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United keeps sending credit card application to my 6 year old son

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

United must be very excited about their new credit card.
They send an application to my six year old son once a week.

What happens if he applies? Will they give him one?

I still have my old United Platinum card, which I like. I might get one of the new ones myself just to get the 25,000 bonus miles. Then I'll cancel it in six months.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Your son must have bad credit. My son was getting UA credit card offers since he was 2. How did he get into trouble so early?

By the way, the offers don't stop, even if you call in and tell them to stop. He still gets at least 6/year (he's 19 now).
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
My dog got sent an invitation from one of those low-credit-score credit card companies. They must have trawled his invitation out of an old application for pet insurance. To make matters worse, he's only 7!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was getting May Company credit card offers in infancy! On an unrelated note, they went out of business in 1993.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For what it is worth, it is not United sending the applications, it is Chase.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:01 am

Same here with my now-8 year old... a few years ago I asked them to take him off the list, and I am pretty sure he gets more now. At least once a week. Interestingly, his little sister doesn't get any, and she has almost as many miles as he does (they almost always travel together).
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
It's probably privacy laws that prevent UA from sharing DOB with Chase, whereas it's just fine to let their partner know a name and address - does your son have a MP account? That would probably be the reason...
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It's still quite annoying, just like all the other credit card applications that flood my mailbox.

Then again, I suppose we need to keep the USPS working.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sign him up! Imagine the credit score he will have if he has a card with 12 years of history of good use and on time payments. You might be doing him a favor, he does need to know about it until he turns 18 if that concerns you.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
During an expat assignment with the family, when the company would fly us home in Business Class, my 6 year old child started getting pre-approved credit card offers. Almost certainly based on the bank getting travel records without the DOB.

Since the CC application shows DOB and income, how would a child every get approved? Nice idea to build up a decade of good payment history (assuming the child doesn't go nuts with the card at 18), but has anyone actually seen this strategy work?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
We were pretty lucky with the United/Chase CC solicitations until my daughter turned 18 earlier this year...and almost instantly, they started up. Now, she gets them regularly, sometimes multiple times per week.

As an aside, when she was much younger, she got a lot of solicitations for the Citi/AA card. Then, one night, I answered the phone and a deep male voice asked to speak with her. The poor man was stunned when I told him she was five. He said he'd take her off the list--and apparently did, as we received nothing after that point.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Think my in-laws have gotten at least ~20 apiece in the past year for the Explore/OPP cards. USPS please raise bulk mail rates & keep yourself in business!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Of course.. but anything to blame the airline, I suppose?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

If I fill out the application will they give him one?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
During an expat assignment with the family, when the company would fly us home in Business Class, my 6 year old child started getting pre-approved credit card offers. Almost certainly based on the bank getting travel records without the DOB.

Since the CC application shows DOB and income, how would a child every get approved? Nice idea to build up a decade of good payment history (assuming the child doesn't go nuts with the card at 18), but has anyone actually seen this strategy work?
Income from any sources in the household?

I'm sure many folks have done it, but they're not going to post in public how they did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.