Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First-Half 2012 MP Elite Cards will be Stickers (confirmed and stickers sent mid-Jan)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First-Half 2012 MP Elite Cards will be Stickers (confirmed and stickers sent mid-Jan)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by London Control
Maybe United will disseminate this info out to the Star Alliance lounges worldwide to reduce complications? Maybe they'll start selling snow chains in hell.

I know a ton of lounges that this will cause issues at. Unacceptable.
That was funny, thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
1K cards went bronze?
The color they are today - not sure what else to call them.

About seven or eight years ago, 2Ps were silver, 1Ps were gold and white, and 1Ks were white and gold - the reverse of the 1P pattern. When they went to the modern color, the LH lounge deniers-of-access had a hard time believing they were gold. (It does say "Star Gold" on them, in microscopic type)

I have about a 40% success rate with my BP alone in Senator lounges. It works without fail in GVA. In FRA, even when it works, they often want to take a look at the card.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by joshwex90
There are some contract lounges that you can access with a paid lounge membership (Dan Lounge in TLV was a PC partner. Not sure if it remains a UC partner though)
Yes, you can access contract lounges of the lounge programme you are a member of.

Anyone who thinks the lack of a 2012 *G card won't affect their lounge access obviously does not do enough travel outside the US. No matter what UA tries to tell other airlines, you can't seriously expect not to get rejected many times during the few months we'll have stickers. Why should other airlines have to alter their lounge access policy for UA elites just because of UA's incompetence? Every *A lounge I've been to (including so-called "safe" ones listed earlier like the SFO and TPE SKL, NRT/HND NH lounge, etc.) has wanted a card. Your 2011 card's mag stripe isn't going to magically encode itself with 2012 validity. For flying UA this will be fine, but good luck to you if you're flying a partner.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:35 am

For all of you who think your boarding pass is good enough.. It wasn't from my flight from EWR - FRA and then onto Johannesburg 2 weeks ago. At the Senators lounge in Frankfurt they specifically asked for the card even though my boarding pass says *Gold; luckily I have it in my wallet.

Further I'll let you know my experience will be this evening from Johannesburg - FRA-DTW

My guess is at both locations they WILL require the card.

Big to this decision.

I see this saving them millions in not sending out the cards -- but they should have thought about lining up their changes with the program year. Ugh this is going to get so much worse before it gets better.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:14 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead

About seven or eight years ago, 2Ps were silver, 1Ps were gold and white, and 1Ks were white and gold - the reverse of the 1P pattern. When they went to the modern color, the LH lounge deniers-of-access had a hard time believing they were gold. (It does say "Star Gold" on them, in microscopic type)
Similar issue to the CO Plat card, which I can see some of them saying, "This is a silver card."

I have about a 40% success rate with my BP alone in Senator lounges. It works without fail in GVA. In FRA, even when it works, they often want to take a look at the card.
I've had BP alone work at MUC and FRA, but have had both ask for the card, too.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

HON Circle cards are black and not gold; why isn't that an issue?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:05 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
...I think this is a great move by UA honestly. Saves them a lot of money.
+1

And this is exactly what AA did for 2002 when it extended everyone's elite status for a year following 9/11
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by xandern
When I wanted to enter the LH SEN lounge in DUS last week, they scanned my printed at home on-line check in Y boarding pass, while I was looking for my 1P card. When I wanted to give them the card, the attendant said, "I don't need it, your boarding pass scanned and gave a green light, so you can enter".

First time for me that they did not want to see the actual card, so maybe something changed...
Same experience in my last few visits at LH Sen lounge in MUC - but then again Air Canada always wants to scan the card, and so does United (since I'm on international travel any time I'm in the USA)
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
How about doing the reverse?

Send new cards out before then end of January under the existing program. Then when you get your act together, send out stickers with the new program name and logo that will fit nicely over the old program name and logo but not affect the *G logo or 2013 expiration date, which are what really matter in *A lounges.

May I remind you, CO/UA, that when you pulled our Elite year expiration date back by a month, it was because you assured us you could get the cards out to us by the end of January?
That would cost too much money, and it would be too convenient for frequent and international flyers. Why would $mi$ek make a change that you would actually like? That would be totally out of character for him with that shyster grin of his.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The issue is that you won't be let into the lounge without a valid *G card, because that's what the rules of admission state.
This is actually what the rules state:
Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status
And, elsewhere on the same rules page:
Star Alliance Gold customers: Customers holding valid proof of their Star Alliance Gold level status
There is nothing that says only a card is a valid proof of status. In fact, that is explicitly contradicted in the first version. And there is no guarantee that lounges everywhere will accept a stickered card. But if we're going to cite "the rules" it would be useful to actually have them for reference.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I know you cant get into the SEN lounge at IAD WITHOUT a valid card, showing status or anything, they wont let you in without a valid card....

bye bye lounges, just a way for $miskek to save money for not having to pay for us to go to other lounges
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
I know you cant get into the SEN lounge at IAD WITHOUT a valid card, showing status or anything, they wont let you in without a valid card....

bye bye lounges, just a way for $miskek to save money for not having to pay for us to go to other lounges
Right, Smisek himself thought of this specifically to spite us and save maybe at most thousands of dollars. While balancing new plane purchases/$500 million upgrades/etc. Give me a break.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by aacharya
Right, Smisek himself thought of this specifically to spite us and save maybe at most thousands of dollars. While balancing new plane purchases/$500 million upgrades/etc. Give me a break.
well if UA pays each entrance I think its like 40 bucks or something, its way more than a couple of thousand
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: CO (now UA) 1K / Hyatt Platinum / UMPPPC / SLH Honoured
This indeed is a pain. Even though "*G" was on my boarding pass, the LH lounge agent in FRA this past weekend insisted on seeing a physical card before letting me in the lounge.

This was with a CO boarding pass. Interestingly, two people in front of me with UA boarding passes were sent right through without having to show a physical card.

???
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:10 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by electroflyer
This was with a CO boarding pass. Interestingly, two people in front of me with UA boarding passes were sent right through without having to show a physical card.
If they had C or F BPs, they don't have to provide a card.

Experienced this myself in FRA earlier this year; my wife's onward BP for LH was in C, and mine (having been part of a UA-LH mixed itin u/g'd with a SWU) was in Y. She got in with just a BP scan; I had to provide my 1K card when they scanned mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.